What 'gadgets' can't you live without.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

iPad mini is great for bedtime reading/surfing etc

Freesat Smart TV eliminated all the boxes we used to have under the old TV (records to USB, streams from USB, wireless server or internet)

Mini Tumble drier (winter) as wife still working in an office and insists on clean clothes and the drier up the marina was costing a fortune, now I'm paying 50p to £1 a week to dry everything.

Wireless 3G router!

Mini Tumble drier (winter) as wife still working in an office and insists on clean clothes and the drier up the marina was costing a fortune, now I'm paying 50p to £1 a week to dry everything.

My partner moved a boat for someone who was having it refitted and they gave me their working studio sized condenser tumble dryer which fits perfectly in my bed cabin in a space that used to have a really rubbish cupboard that I hated and never used. It's wonderful and is my new favourite gadget. As we are talking mains gadgets I love my hunter vacuum cleaner. Very good for dog hair removal and perfect size for a boat, it's tiny.

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product/HOME-TEK-Vacuum-Handheld-HUNTER-730W-Bagless-HT807I?gclid=CM7K3aCX5LYCFcXItAodtVEAnw

Edited by Lady Muck

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle. We seem to make tons of washing. I've a smallish single tub washer (3.5kg load) that I can use with a spin dryer when on move (I store them both in my bath). Sometimes I go to the launderette near the mooring, they've a machine that costs a fiver and takes the equivalent of four domestic loads, it's great, can get all washing done in 40 mins, but more often than not I do it at our relatives as we are there almost every week.

• 1 month later...

No stick from me, I need it to dip my diesel tank!

On the mooring with shorepower I use fluorescent lights, an electric kettle in summer when the stove isn't lit and a mains powered Dab radio.

Out and about I'm back to basics but I would like a 12v radio, I have got lights honest.

22-2100.jpg

Yes, we have got one rather like that!

I am surprised that (unless I have missed it) no one has yet mentioned a radio. We don't have a telly on the boat but we do love our two radios, one in the saloon and one in the back cabin.

EDIT: sod's law, I now see that the post previous to mine has indeed mentioned a radio. Ho-hum.

Edited by Athy

Intercom - back deck to saloon (70 footer) handy when you need a brew or all hands on deck!

Incidentally, my telephone intercom has 2 AA batteries in each handset. I haven't changed them in 15 years and I can still get a brew!

Oo I likey! Time for a visit to Go Outdoors methinks smile.png

Thank you!

We have one of these, acquired cheaply in the closing down sale of a department store in Wisbech last year. It is indeed a handy piece of kit - but we have to take it home to recharge it, as for some reason our inverter will not do the job. Perhaps it takes too much power.

Coffee - did anyone mention coffee? As in coffee in the morning/beer in the evening. Or G&T.

Got one of those DeLonghi things that does frothy milky fancy coffee for SWMBO and normal black coffee for me.

And the new replacement one doesn't give me an electric shock (that's another story).

Coffee - did anyone mention coffee? As in coffee in the morning/beer in the evening. Or G&T.

Got one of those DeLonghi things that does frothy milky fancy coffee for SWMBO and normal black coffee for me.

And the new replacement one doesn't give me an electric shock (that's another story).

Ah yes - coffee.

We got one of these from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30149839/#

I must now add to this list......my solar panels. I have fallen in love.

Intercom - back deck to saloon (70 footer) handy when you need a brew or all hands on deck!

or...what I used. A WIRELESS doorbell. I rang. They came running.;-)

My electric kettle because I must have my morning cuppa within minutes of me getting up, not have to wait an eternity for the gas stove to boil it. When we moved onboard at Easter I mistakenly thought those days were over, but being hooked up in the marina and with an all signing and dancing inverter I'm a happy riser still.

When we eventually go out on our long cruise I will desperately miss being able to use my beloved leccy kettle.

or...what I used. A WIRELESS doorbell. I rang. They came running.;-)

Isn't that what the horn's for?

I do rather like the remote panel that our Mastervolt combi has.

For one thing I can switch the inverter on and off from the galley without having to walk the full length of the boat......icecream.gif

5926_masterlinkmicc.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

That's an up-market control panel!

I am intrigued by the section marked "Ah time!". Perhaps about six o'clock the light flashes and you say "Ah, time for a drink"?

Six o'clock, ohmy.png

PS they are stupidly expensive and TBH if it ever went wrong I suspect would be disconnecting it and blanking the hole off and would as per the OP actually be able to live without it in reality.

Edited by The Dog House