British Waterways registration numbers

Redeye

Featured Posts

Hi

E FMC Bison was first sold into private ownership in 1956 to be converted to a pleasure craft. She carries the BW number 60171, does anyone know when BW first started issuing licence numbers to pleasure craft and where the numbering sequence started?

Apologies if not strictly history and heritage.

Thanks

Pete Harrison knows. a search of the forum will find it. 1982 is whats in my head but its been known to be unreliable

my head, I mean

eta Pete Harrison knows...everything..about every boat ;) a very good source of info and he does have a CWDF membership

1970s seems to ring a bell with me, initially different bw offices had their "own" batch which means that

two consecutive numbers may have been issued (by different offices) years apart, also registrations for

the first year included boats already on the system.

springy

Hi. What a coincidence!! I'm currently writing Bison at Warwick Fly for the owner and I've just painted the index number on the cabin at the front of the conversion. The rear panels are in the old black and white FMC livery, white lettering with a blue-grey drop shadow. Water levels are low in the pound so I'm having to do the bottom lines wearing wellies with my feet in the cut. The romance of boat decorating, eh?? My aging back is rather less than happy!!

Cheers

Dave

Pete Harrison knows. a search of the forum will find it. 1982 is whats in my head but its been known to be unreliable

my head, I mean

eta Pete Harrison knows...everything..about every boat wink.png a very good source of info and he does have a CWDF membership

You are in danger of encouraging me to become imperious with all of these compliments captain.gif

B.W.B. index numbers were first issued in 1980. I fitted them to my motor and butty in September 1980 ready for an article in Canal and Riverboat magazine (published December 1980).

Did a form of registration exist when the new British Waterways Board abandoned tolls. They decided in the 1960's to do this, I suspect. (or even recall) I have come across something like this when compling the Modern Transport Group newsletter for the RCHS, in the past

Ray Shill

I have the original plates from Admiral and the number was 60007. I assume this was done alphabetically?

Steve

B.W.B. index numbers 60000 to 60010 were allocated spuriously and apparently randomly between 1987 and 1990. 60011 was the lowest number to be issued in 1980/81 (to a conventional canal boat - i.e. some cruisers, canoes and tenders had numbers from a different sequence), and these numbers were not allocated to boats in any sort of alphabetical sequence.

My records indicate that ADMIRAL was B.W.B. indexed 60017 (not 60007)

Did a form of registration exist when the new British Waterways Board abandoned tolls. They decided in the 1960's to do this, I suspect. (or even recall) I have come across something like this when compling the Modern Transport Group newsletter for the RCHS, in the past

Ray Shill

My understanding is that between 1963 and 1980 boats were issued with an annual licence, which like nowadays had to be displayed. From 1980 onward an index number was allocated to each boat and was printed on the annual licence and two matching index number plates were allocated to each boat - and all three were required to be displayed (If I remember correctly the new regulation stated that one index number plate was to be fitted to each side of the boat). It was quite common to see 'historic' narrow boats with the index number plates attached to the engine room bulkhead or on each side of the breastwood beneath the deckboard (cratchboard).

B.W.B. index numbers 60000 to 60010 were allocated spuriously and apparently randomly between 1987 and 1990. 60011 was the lowest number to be issued in 1980/81 (to a conventional canal boat - i.e. some cruisers, canoes and tenders had numbers from a different sequence), and these numbers were not allocated to boats in any sort of alphabetical sequence.

My records indicate that ADMIRAL was B.W.B. indexed 60017 (not 60007)

Pete

You may well be right, for some reason the 7 at the end seemed right but I would defer to your records.

Steve

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help and assistance, signwriting is now done and looks great. Heres an attempt at posting a link to the photo.

20130425_085328%20%282%29%20%281280x960%

I think thats done it!

Thats fantatsic! Looks great, now you just need a butty!! biggrin.png