Grantham Canal Needs Support

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

THE Grantham Canal Society and Grantham Canal Partnership are in the process of applying for major funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, (HLF) but need support to achieve this.

The project is to train volunteers to restore locks 14 and 15, but they have been requested by the HLF to consider adding locks 12 and 13 as this would make it of greater value.

The extra two locks are a tall order, but with the help of the HLF, volunteers, supporters and rangers, the combined partnership believe it is achievable.

There would then be seven working locks and access to the 19 miles lock-free stretch of the canal, and with the winding hole below lock 12 the attraction of a 13 mile return boat trip from the A1. A massive achievement—and the Society is going for it!

This a situation where a letter of support would really make a big difference to opening up what is one of the most attractive stretches of un-restored waterway in the country.

On this occasion NarrowBoatWorld have come up with some timely, factual reporting and I hope that in the wider interests of canal restoration, they'll forgive me from quoting, virtually verbatim, from their piece at: http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/5577-grantham-canal-needs-funding-help.

Further details, particularly with the form that a letter might take, are also available on their website.

In an unashamed attempt to 'bump' this thread please don't forget to pen a supporting letter ...........

This a situation where a letter of support would really make a big difference to opening up what is one of the most attractive stretches of un-restored waterway in the country.

On this occasion NarrowBoatWorld have come up with some timely, factual reporting and I hope that in the wider interests of canal restoration, they'll forgive me from quoting, virtually verbatim, from their piece at: http://www.narrowboa...s-funding-help.

Further details, particularly with the form that a letter might take, are also available on their website.

Edited by Up-Side-Down

In an unashamed assist, your new linky doesn't work.

It would be good to get some updates on here of progress, maybe with piccies of work groups etc to aid interest as wedon't like to go over to the CaRTbashingworld too often.

In a different attempt to assist, can I add a few thoughts on what might be helpful given this is an application for HLF money.

Heritage Lottery Fund pay for HERITAGE, might seem blindingly obvious but they don't pay for canal restoration per se. Heritage covers a multitude of sins.

Going off only the information in the OP, I am guessing that amongst the benefits that HLF sees is training in heritage skills, some of these are in short supply and statements of support for this element (along with general support) will go down well.

Given what the OP says, I guess that HLF have gone for more bangs for their buck. I've just been involved in something not disimilar elsewhere whereby extending the grant funding to a given point (even though it was an increase in grant) opened the potential for more canal beyond to be opened by volunteers after the grant was completed. Support for the idea that this larger scheme will result in a significantly greater length of canal becoming available will also be well received, especially if the attraction of longer lengths (trail boating etc) is aluded to

HLF are well aware of the many benefits that an active waterway brings to a community, hence their pleasure at the success of Stroud on the Water (even though they are less pleased at other aspects of that scheme!)

In view of the fact that this canal will be landlocked the benefits of walking, trip boats, trailable boats etc might be worth mentioning.

I probably need to be very careful about writing a letter myself, so I'll let others get on with it.

ETA I see that NBW have quite a list of things to mention as well

Edited by magpie patrick

Sort of in an attempt to keep this thread bumped, but also to satisfy my own curiosity, can I ask the reason behind the reluctance of CWDF members to look at NBW?

I often have a look on there for some canal based news but often just find stuff I already know about via here or Facebook groups. If its a simple case of allegiances a bit like choosing which football team you support, I'm quite happy to delete NBW from my favorites bar!!

I often have a look on there for some canal based news but often just find stuff I already know about via here or Facebook groups. If its a simple case of allegiances a bit like choosing which football team you support, I'm quite happy to delete NBW from my favorites bar!!

If you enjoy reading it then there is certainly no reason to stop, just because some people dislike the manner of reporting and its rabidly anti-CRT stance.

I don't like it but, then again, I don't like bread and butter pudding and wouldn't expect anyone to stop eating it, for my benefit.

If you enjoy reading it then there is certainly no reason to stop, just because some people dislike the manner of reporting and its rabidly anti-CRT stance.

I don't like it but, then again, I don't like bread and butter pudding and wouldn't expect anyone to stop eating it, for my benefit.

As someone who is quite new to having an interest in the waterways and not really absorbed into the politics of it all yet, I must be honest and say that between regular (daily) useage of this forum and occasional visits to NBW I'd go as far as to say the anti-CaRT vibe is not restricted to NBW and that there is a fair amount of anti-CaRT related posts on here too!

I'm not nessasaraly saying there is more on here, far from it. But if the main reason CWDF members frown upon NBW is because of the anti-CaRT views, it's a LITTLE hypocritical.

Edited by junior

I'm not nessasaraly saying there is more on here, far from it. But if the main reason CWDF members frown upon NBW is because of the anti-CaRT views, it's a LITTLE hypocritical.

You will find that most, if not all, the NBW critics are not part of the CRT naysayers flock.

There are many CWDF members who enjoy reading NBW (some are even contributors).

The CWDF membership is a broad spectrum of canal users who are free to post their widely differing opinions, with very little editorial intervention (unlike NBW) so to say the whole membership is anti-NBW is incorrect.

If you look at the 14 boats trapped in aylesbury thread.....its all CaRTs fault. They SHOULD have spotted it and fixed it. Not the responsibility of anyone else, including the boat in for blacking that has just passed through it.

It's just bash, bash,moan moan, and when they run out of stories, they nick them off here.

In an unashamed attempt to 'bump' this thread please don't forget to pen a supporting letter ...........

On this occasion NarrowBoatWorld have come up with some timely, factual reporting and I hope that in the wider interests of canal restoration, they'll forgive me from quoting, virtually verbatim, from their piece at: http://www.narrowboa...s-funding-help.

Has the Grantham canal sociaty got a web site with this request for suport on it? Asking as I drive a bus to Cotgrave and the Cropwels, the people I talk to out there may look at that site but would not bother with a boaters site.

Has the Grantham canal sociaty got a web site with this request for suport on it? Asking as I drive a bus to Cotgrave and the Cropwels, the people I talk to out there may look at that site but would not bother with a boaters site.

The reference to the HLF bid is on their website at: http://www.granthamcanal.org/heritage-lottery-fund/

There is also a monthly eMagazine called BRIDGE which is available to anyone who wants to subscribe - not just members of the Canal Society. Details available at: http://www.granthamcanal.org/subscribe-to-bridge-our-regular-newletter/

Thank you to those that sorted the Link out for me - and I'm truly sorry if it offended against your sensibilities Alan!

• 2 weeks later...

Just going through my inbox and found this. If it has already been posted then my apologies.

Nick

FAO All supporters of the Grantham Canal Regeneration Project

The Grantham Canal Society and Grantham Canal Partnership are in the process of applying for major funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). The project is to train volunteers to restore locks 14 and 15 and we have been requested by the HLF to consider adding locks 12 and 13 as this would deliver greater value.

The extra two locks are a tall order, but with the help of the HLF, our volunteers, supporters and rangers, it is achievable. We would then have 7 working locks, access to the 19 mile lock-free stretch of the canal and with the winding hole below lock 12 the attraction of a 13 mile return boat trip from the A1. A massive achievement – and we are going for it!

A letter from you would be powerful support and greatly appreciated by all those engaged in the project.

If you could write such a letter and send it to

John Brydon

Vice Chairman of Grantham Canal Society

Yew Tree Farm

Hawksworth

Notts

NG13 9DD

or email to John at jpb@freenetname.co.uk

It will be a key part of our funding submission as part of the community support that we seek.

Obviously we wish you to compose your own letter but in response to a number of requests for guidance can we suggest the following pointers to aid your thinking

• appreciating the value of the canal as a leisure facility (fishing, walking, wild life) and also to serve the community health agenda

• support for the GCS in their ambitions to raise the wider community’s awareness of the value of the canal as a community asset

• belief in the project as a regional initiative bringing together the Three Shires of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire

• support the preservation of this vital part of our East Midlands heritage

• appreciation of the fact that more than £8 million of work has already been carried out and that the project should be actively pursued to prevent the waste of public money already spent

• applaud the opportunity for volunteers to be trained in heritage restoration skills, so that this canal (and others across Britain) can be cost-effectively maintained in the future

• the pleasure of seeing and participating in boat trips along the canal again

• wish to see the canal come back into full use to promote further economic opportunities in local villages in the canal corridor

• Look forward to the new canal side interpretation boards which will increase the visitor's knowledge of the canal and major aspects of wildlife, flora and fauna. Almost half of the length of the canal is either an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) or a SINC (Site of importance to Nature conservation)

• support for the GCS in all their efforts to bring the canal back into full navigable use including the building of the new Trent Link at the Nottingham end

• support for the GCS in promoting the canal as a learning environment for all ages and all community groups

• wishing the GCS every success in gaining grant aid to further their aims and objectives with regards the canal

We need to get the letters of support together by early May this year so your speedy response would be greatly appreciated.