Ice

Jayseaess

Featured Posts

Indeedly, the wind has dropped a bit and cloud cover lifted last night so the S&w has a 1cm layer on it this morning. Should be a stunning day to cruise for those who can.

Indeedly, the wind has dropped a bit and cloud cover lifted last night so the S&w has a 1cm layer on it this morning. Should be a stunning day to cruise for those who can.

Moored about halfway between Crick and Welford, plenty of ice first thing this morning with pretty patterns on it from the wind, but a couple of boats have just come past fairly easily and there's not much left now

If you are where I think you are that's one of my favourite moorings - I'm jealous stuck ashore at a family weekend

If you are where I think you are that's one of my favourite moorings - I'm jealous stuck ashore at a family weekend

We're just south of bridge 33, I can see the milepost (Leicester 29) through the kitchen window. We stopped here yesterday afternoon when I spotted that it was sheltered from the wind by the combination of bridge and hedges; a couple of lengths in either direction and it's a lot colder. With beautiful views in all directions, a good towpath, and piling to moor to, what more could we want? We're going to stop here for a couple of days and watch the frozen steerers on the passing boats.

Alan Good to see you briefly this morning typically on a blind bridge. Where are you heading for?

Yes it was good to see you too. For once Sod's law (which says if you meet another boat it will always be at a blind bridge) was working in our favour. because it meant we were both moving slowly enough - and close enough - to speak while passing.

We're at Foxton, probably for a couple of days before going into Market Harborough to replenish the fridge. Then we'll be meandering back to Stoke Hammond with probably a diversion to Braunston and maybe Rugby. We're due back in Stoke Hammond in about 10 days time.

Alan, we saw you too, but were ahead of RichardT and we passed at some speed.

We moored for a night along from RichardT and his boat full at Welford, then both boats spent last night at the top of Watford locks. We arrived at 15.15 but weren't allowed down until this morning!

We've now split up, and Chateau Neuf is at Ansty tonight.

No ice today for once but sounds like it will be back tonight!

Alan, we saw you too, but were ahead of RichardT and we passed at some speed.

We moored for a night along from RichardT and his boat full at Welford, then both boats spent last night at the top of Watford locks. We arrived at 15.15 but weren't allowed down until this morning!

We've now split up, and Chateau Neuf is at Ansty tonight.

No ice today for once but sounds like it will be back tonight!

Ah yes I remember seeing the boat and noting the name; wondered why it seemed familiar and then decided it must be just because I like drinking it !!!

Plenty of ice at Foxton last night. My first task was to reverse a couple of hundred yards through it, which was interesting.

Very icy from Ansty towards Sutton Stop this morning. Still icy from there towards Atherstone but ice had been broken for us all the way.

It took until almost midday before we stopped seeing ice floating by, that despite the bright sun.

We sat out in the sun for an hour or more after tying up at Alvecote! However, at 22.00 it's already down to -3.6 outside!

BTW, if anyone is going through Atherstone, the towpath is closed from lock 6 to lock 8, not just from 6 to 7 as the signs say. We gave a lift past this to a chap doing a long distance towpath walk, who couldn't see a reasonable alternative route!

Edited by trackman