Issues connecting to the site?

Featured Posts

From cmd.exe or command prompt you could try:

tracert canalworld.net

from the lappy via dongle and wireless, and from the PC.

Also try deleting the lappie wireless connection and reinstating with the connection wizard as that does more than a straight repair.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'll try tracert and see what I get.

I rolled the lappy back to last Wednesday and I still get the same symptoms. That seems odd, given that it was working fine until Friday evening.

Ccleaner still reports no registry issues.

I rather doubt that it is anything to do with the wireless connection, given that ethernet connection gives the same symptoms - Would you agree Pete? One problem I do have however is that since rolling it back to Wednesday, my dongle thinks the server is still being upgraded. Not sure how to cure that one!

Edited by Keeping Up

I'm certain that Ccleaner can do no more for me. I used it a month ago, then while the Forum was offline, then yesterday when the problems started, and then again today.

After the system restore I timed it after sign-in, the home page took just over 3 minutes to load.

Tracert from the not-working lappy and the working PC, both gave exactly the same results (apart from a few ms difference in some of the timings.

Now to go back and see if I can make the dongle work again!

OK, restarted the lappy and the dongle works again. Ping is a bit slower, and tracert shows a different route of course (with some of the intermediate steps refusing to reveal their IP address, presumably Vodafone's security) but nothing to indicate where the problem lies. It's still the same: working on desktop PC, not working on lappy when wireless or ethernet on the same Hub as the PC, but OK with lappy on dongle.

ETA: adding the IP address entry in the "hosts" file made no difference

Edited by Keeping Up

I have had isues like you describe with another non canal related forum in the past that I put down to routing isues related to my ISP but if one computer is fine and another not I can't see how it can be a solely externally caused problem.

well if you will visit other sites you've only got yourself to blame!! :cheers:

as for the op's problem i can't really help, but would be interested in any solution found as I am having a lot of trouble with this on my computer not just cwdf but all sites yet the other computer doesn't have the issues (shared wired router) can't find anything that has loaded that shouldn't be there yet there must be something!

OK, restarted the lappy and the dongle works again. Ping is a bit slower, and tracert shows a different route of course (with some of the intermediate steps refusing to reveal their IP address, presumably Vodafone's security) but nothing to indicate where the problem lies. It's still the same: working on desktop PC, not working on lappy when wireless or ethernet on the same Hub as the PC, but OK with lappy on dongle.

ETA: adding the IP address entry in the "hosts" file made no difference

I am having same problem with a pc and a laptop using win xp. Canalworld works fine on my iPad using the same wireless network.

I also am having no problems with other websites.

Actually it is not getting to the homepage and index that is the problem as that works OK. Ping and tracert are OK. Problem is opening the topics. Also after 10 minutes it still hasn't signed me in yet on the laptop.

Looks like a win xp issue but would appreciate a fix if anyone can find one.

Paul

I am having same problem with a pc and a laptop using win xp. Canalworld works fine on my iPad using the same wireless network.

I also am having no problems with other websites.

Actually it is not getting to the homepage and index that is the problem as that works OK. Ping and tracert are OK. Problem is opening the topics. Also after 10 minutes it still hasn't signed me in yet on the laptop.

Looks like a win xp issue but would appreciate a fix if anyone can find one.

Paul

I'm relieved to hear that it's not just me. I'm also finding that the worst problems are with signing in and with opening topics. Sometimes a page will open quite quickly - possibly because the majority of the required data is already cached - but others take several minutes.

Do you have a dongle as well, that you can try? Mine still works just fine, and I'm wondering if there's some sort of timing issue that the wireless network is masking by repeating or buffering.

I'm relieved to hear that it's not just me. I'm also finding that the worst problems are with signing in and with opening topics. Sometimes a page will open quite quickly - possibly because the majority of the required data is already cached - but others take several minutes.

Do you have a dongle as well, that you can try? Mine still works just fine, and I'm wondering if there's some sort of timing issue that the wireless network is masking by repeating or buffering.

I don't have a dongle. Tried with my mifi and still very slow - rules out my home router settings?

Tried with wired connection from laptop to the router and also very slow so not just wifi.

Strange thing is that sometimes a page will open very quickly then the whole site stops working. I'm sure it's something in winxp or ie8 settings but I don't know what.

Paul

ETA in response to a suggestion from Daniel, I've just tried browsing around 5 other Forums that run on the IPB software, and I get no problems with any of them

Where any of these running IP.Board 3.1.4 ? Info usually at the bottom of the index page.

Daniel

I didn't find any that specifically said IP Board 3.1.4, I did find one that looked exactly like CWDF apart from the logo and that was http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I've just read a couple of dozen posts on that Forum without any problems at all.

This is what it says at the bottom of my screen and I am having no problems

Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.1.4

Licensed to: Canal World Discussion Forums.

© 2001 to 2010 Daniel Hutchinson. All content remains the copyright of its respective owner.

I didn't find any that specifically said IP Board 3.1.4, I did find one that looked exactly like CWDF apart from the logo and that was http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I've just read a couple of dozen posts on that Forum without any problems at all.

Mine shows that too.

Try going to the forums home page and pressing F5 to refresh like Daniel prompted us to try, I did.

Yes THIS forum's homepage shows IPB 3.1.4 but the point was that, in accord with Daniel's suggestion, I was looking for ANOTHER forum that used the same (outdated) software version as we do. The football forum page doesn't appear to say which version they are using, but it was the only one I could find that looked exactly like CWDF.

Do you get the same issue if you use firefox or chrome to get on the web?

Chrome was worse. My antivirus update kindly installed it for the umpteenth time this morning. Couldn't even get the canalworld homepage.

Tried disabling all ie8 add ons, clearing cache, turning cookies on and off and deleting, turning off anti virus and no change. With ie8 I get 3 pages then the site locks up. Clear cookies, history and cache and restart ie8 and I get another 3 pages and it locks up again.

Can the host isp help?

Paul

Yes THIS forum's homepage shows IPB 3.1.4 but the point was that, in accord with Daniel's suggestion, I was looking for ANOTHER forum that used the same (outdated) software version as we do. The football forum page doesn't appear to say which version they are using, but it was the only one I could find that looked exactly like CWDF.

Allan, you said when you tried tracert the route was different. Are you intentionally, or un intentionally using a third party DNS server?

Check duff router N/W connection on laptop by clicking on properties/Networking - right click on Internet protocol version4(TCP/IPv4)

standard is:

"obtain IP address automatically" - clicked

"obtain DNS server address automatically" - clicked

During the great CWDF server changeover, when DNS went back and forward, I used the Google DNS server to get issues quickly resolved.

"use following DNS server addresses" - clicked

Preffered 8.8.8.8

Alt 4.4.4.4

If your lappy connection is set to standard, you could try the Google DNS server to see if it makes any difference.

I have still got my pc so connected. Third party DNS servers can slow some sites and downloads down, but I have not noticed any difference since I changed to Google DNS server.

Allan, you said when you tried tracert the route was different. Are you intentionally, or un intentionally using a third party DNS server?

Check duff router N/W connection on laptop by clicking on properties/Networking - right click on Internet protocol version4(TCP/IPv4)

standard is:

"obtain IP address automatically" - clicked

"obtain DNS server address automatically" - clicked

During the great CWDF server changeover, when DNS went back and forward, I used the Google DNS server to get issues quickly resolved.

"use following DNS server addresses" - clicked

Preffered 8.8.8.8

Alt 4.4.4.4

If your lappy connection is set to standard, you could try the Google DNS server to see if it makes any difference.

I have still got my pc so connected. Third party DNS servers can slow some sites and downloads down, but I have not noticed any difference since I changed to Google DNS server.

I wasn't surprised when the tracert gave a different route when using the Vodafone dongle, compared to when I was using the BT landline - should I have been? The destination was the same, but the starting point was a different IP address on a different network.

Looking at the network connection as you suggested, both "obtain IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" were clicked.

I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 and it made no difference. A random new post took 90 seconds before anything happened.

So, thanks Neil, an excellent suggestion and diagnostic - but no solution yet.

On Firefox the Firebug addon can give info on how a web page is loading, just install, click on the icon drop-down and 'on for all web pages', then open a CW page and go to the Firebug panel or page, click on 'Net'

It then gives a list of elements as they load, for each you can see the web, domain and IP address and timeline, and click on the web address to get the request and response headers.

To deactivate it just deselect 'on for all web pages' then click on 'clear activation list'

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

On Firefox the Firebug addon can give info on how a web page is loading, just install, click on the icon drop-down and 'on for all web pages', then open a CW page and go to the Firebug panel or page, click on 'Net'

It then gives a list of elements as they load, for each you can see the web, domain and IP address and timeline, and click on the web address to get the request and response headers.

To deactivate it just deselect 'on for all web pages' then click on 'clear activation list'

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

OK, thanks Pete. I lost Firefox when I system-restored the lappy back to last week, so I've just reinstalled it.

I had never used Firebug so it took me a while to find the required view, but I think I got there in the end.

When I clicked on a topic the first element shows as "GET index.php?showtopic= ...." etc with a status of "302 Found" and the timing showed 45 seconds for that element. The first part of the time is practically all Blocking (whatever that means). There were a whole load of subsequent requests, plenty of them being 200 OK or 304 Not modified and a couple of 302 found, but everything was just a few milliseconds once it had all got going.

When I then clicked on "View New Content" I got three requests all with a status of 200 Found. The first element (GET index.php ...) showed 1 minute 8 sec of blocking; the other two (GET topic-button ...) both started about 25 seconds after the start of original request and each showed 45 seconds of blocking before, once again, everything happening within a few milliseconds so they all completed at about the same time.

Does that give any clues?

Looks like '302 Found' is a response that temporarily redirects to another URL:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html

'302 Found

The requested resource resides temporarily under a different URI. Since the redirection might be altered on occasion, the client SHOULD continue to use the Request-URI for future requests. This response is only cacheable if indicated by a Cache-Control or Expires header field.

The temporary URI SHOULD be given by the Location field in the response. Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity of the response SHOULD contain a short hypertext note with a hyperlink to the new URI(s). '

So it looks like '302 Found' is some sort of redirect, for me I only get this when clicking one the new postings link or new postings icon. If you click on the posts *without* using the new postings link or the new postings icon on each thread do you still get delays, and does it come back in Firebug as '200 OK'?

Also for the '302 Found' response, if you click on the "GET index.php?showtopic=" heading in Firebug, does it give a reponse header containing the redirected location, something like:

h_t_t_p://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52171&pid=976840&st=0entry976840

(without the underscores)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

When I clicked on a topic the first element shows as "GET index.php?showtopic= ...." etc with a status of "302 Found" and the timing showed 45 seconds for that element. The first part of the time is practically all Blocking (whatever that means).

From the Firebug docs - "Time spent in a browser queue waiting for a network connection (formerly called Queueing)".

So perhaps something's keeping connections open when it shouldn't be.

If you type about:config in the URL bar, what does network.http.max-connections say? (MIght be worth screenshotting all your network.http config options here to see if any others are doolally.)

Edited by Richard Fairhurst