Issues connecting to the site?

Featured Posts

Removing the Windows Updates didn't help either. Now putting them back in again.

It can't be specific to my own router - because it works on the PC, and the lappy doesn't work on next-door's Fon connection - but I suppose it could be an internal change in BT's own network. Don't know how I could sort that one out though - but I'll have a look on the BT User Forums and see if there's anything there.

I do remember that the previous router that I had, had to be changed to a Home Hub when BT did an upgrade in the exchange 18 months ago, so I know my old routers won't work on the line now. I haven't got access to any other type of router; I don't think I can source another type quickly and I've only got a couple of days left before we set off on our travels again for 3 weeks. The infuriating thing will be that the lappy won't work on other BT hotspots (presumably, as it won't work on my neighbour's) so I can't use that means of accessing the Forum while I'm away. The dongle will still do it - if I can find a signal, But if I can find someone else's WiFi, such as a canalside pub, it will be interesting to see if it works on that.

I've just thought of a "plan B". Tonight I'll take the lappy out for a drink in Wetherspoons, and see what happens on their WiFi (which is not BT)

Thats just an excuse!

Its slow here on XP and Im not with BT but Talk Talk.

Tablet however is fine on the same system.

I've just thought of a "plan B". Tonight I'll take the lappy out for a drink in Wetherspoons, and see what happens on their WiFi (which is not BT)

Ah up are lass, Keeping up as asked me to take the lappy to the pub to see if I can re create the problem :cheers:

edited to add change your pass word if only to appease me

Edited by Skye

Well here I am in Wetherspoons, and lappy seems to be enjoying her leisurely pint. I say leisurely because she's still taking over a minute between each sip.

Yes that's right; the performance here, using JDW's "The Cloud" free Wifi service is exactly the same speed as I get at home. All other web addresses are still fine here, nice and quick with no problems. That certainly seems to rule out anything to do with my router or BT line. The (translated) IP address resolves as having its own ISP "The Cloud Networks"

So we're back to an issue of compatibility between lappy and only CWDF, but only when I'm using a LAN connection, direct or wireless, but not when I'm using a dongle.

Ah up are lass, Keeping up as asked me to take the lappy to the pub to see if I can re create the problem :cheers:

edited to add change your pass word if only to appease me

And just to confirm it to muslef, I've plugged in the dongle and speed is restored.

I'll consider a password change, but it's rather hard to see how it would help, given that I get just the same symptoms when Im not logged in!

The beer tastes just as good here either way!

OK so it looks like there's definitely something amiss on the lappie.

Before doing any reinstalling you could try a few more things, namely disabling the other network connections than the wireless one in Control Panel/Network Connections, then if no joy following that with a reset the TCP/IP configuration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Following that, a bit more extreme is to go into the properties of the wireless network connection, make a note of and uninstall all the protocols, then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol only, and run the New Connection Wizard in Control Panel/Network Connection for the wireless connection, that should give the bare bones for connectivity on that one network adapter.

Before doing the all that, you can save some diagnostic info on the networking with Start/Run/Cmd.exe then enter 'netsh dump > C:\netshdump.txt', might come in handy later.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks Pete I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

I still wonder if the problem is at the CWDF end, given that we did migrate servers on Tuesday and no doubt here was some housekeeping to follow it up. After all, this is stil the only site I've found that gives any problem. It may of course be something to do with the effect of running an old version of the IPB software, which is now so old that it is unsupported (which is why we can't report the problem to them), that has given rise to an issue on the new server.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why I see identical symptoms on both the wireless and the ethernet connections, which use different hardware inside the lappy, different drivers different chipsets and so on.

And of course there is still the fact that I'm apparently not the only sufferer.

On the house keeping..

After the move I and one or two others were left with the inability to change avatars, upload pictures to the gallery and change profile pictures.

Ever so gradually these functions have returned finally meaning I could upload an avatar today. I am unsure as to the extant of the moderators involvement in resolving the problems I had.

Given this I wonder if your issue may resolve itself???

Edited by The Dog House

I know I keep banging on about passwords but I don't know how to put it in computer terms so I'll attempt to do it boat language.

The site has just set up a new pound (sever), to reach this pound, to protect water levels, the CRT (sorry admin) have made the main cut though the tunnel available to existing members and new members.

Any visitors or horse drawn boats (old passwords linked to boats with old reg numbers [ping]) are shunted off down a service tunnel to arrive at the same place but takes longer. Some existing members are caught up in this because water flow has dragged them into the wrong tunnel.

The new fitted engine (password) will have more horsepower to overcome the flow.

Admin have a car waiting to zoom them over the hill.

(If it works I'll show my arse in Foulridge Tunnel)

David

If anyone is planning to go through Foulridge tunnel in the near future, and sees a bright shining light ahead, do not panic. It is merely an oncoming boat and is definitely NOT David's arse. Or maybe they should panic after all, because there shouldn't be a boat coming the other way in Foulridge Tunnel.

OK so it looks like there's definitely something amiss on the lappie.

Before doing any reinstalling you could try a few more things, namely disabling the other network connections than the wireless one in Control Panel/Network Connections, then if no joy following that with a reset the TCP/IP configuration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Following that, a bit more extreme is to go into the properties of the wireless network connection, make a note of and uninstall all the protocols, then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol only, and run the New Connection Wizard in Control Panel/Network Connection for the wireless connection, that should give the bare bones for connectivity on that one network adapter.

Before doing the all that, you can save some diagnostic info on the networking with Start/Run/Cmd.exe then enter 'netsh dump > C:\netshdump.txt', might come in handy later.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

IT'S FIXED !!!!!!

I followed these instructions; there was no improvement when I tried disabled the other network connection made no difference, so I reset the TCP/IP configuration, following the instructions on the Microsoft page that you linked to - basically it just says to run the command 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt' and then restart - and everything now works just brilliantly.

I've saved all the diagnostics. I wonder what it was that caused it to fail on just this site? I suspect it was a post-changeover issue.

A million thanks for your help (and patience) Pete.

• Greenie 1

IT'S FIXED !!!!!!

I followed these instructions; there was no improvement when I tried disabled the other network connection made no difference, so I reset the TCP/IP configuration, following the instructions on the Microsoft page that you linked to - basically it just says to run the command 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt' and then restart - and everything now works just brilliantly.

I've saved all the diagnostics. I wonder what it was that caused it to fail on just this site? I suspect it was a post-changeover issue.

A million thanks for your help (and patience) Pete.

:cheers:

At least it's a fairly simple fix, in the end, and means the server side of things can be left well alone.

Says on the MS site:

'When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\ '

So it does looks like something was disagreeing with the new server.

If you go to Start/Run/Cmd.exe then enter 'netsh dump > C:\netshdumpnew.txt', that will capture a new set of diagnostics.

I'll PM you my email address, if you like you could email me the three txt files and I could try to pinpoint it further to see if it's something that can be addressed on the server side. But it might be the diagnostic file doesn't capture everything in the above registry keys.

In the meantime it might be worth Dan posting something on the sticky thread 'FAQ's - Common problems with the forum', but advising users to back up their PC first if poss - just in case :)

cheers, Pete

~smpt~

well done that man!

mine is now OK as well

Never come across that one before, TCPIP either works or it doesnt, where as this worked with some and not others.

Worked for me too. Many thanks.

Paul

Had a look at Allan's TCP reset log, while it has reset some things who knows what changed them in the first place, or whether they were properly reset when something was uninstalled?

FWIW I've been accessing Canalworld fine using a lappie running XP, so the problem probably wouldn't affect a 'stock' XP install, but is more likely to be due to other installed software.

Maybe if Allan, Julian, Tony, and Paul could list what firewall and AV software or even VPN software is installed or has been installed in the past a common factor may emerge.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Lappy was wiped and re-installed from original discs 18 months ago, after lappy went berserk (believed to be effect of a Windows upgrade being incompatible with old outdated Dell drivers).

Windows firewall, was turned off during most of the testing above, now back on again.

Microsoft essentials antivirus, installed a year ago to replace Trend Micro which suddenly became expensive

Used to have Google Chrome but uninstalled it at the end of 2012 because it was becoming unreliable on my desktop PC and I had decided I didn't like it any more

Nothing else unusual on the lappy. Main other uses are Frontpage to maintain my website, and Water Explorer when we're on the move somewhere different.

All updates installed immediately when available.

Had a look at Allan's TCP reset log, while it has reset some things who knows what changed them in the first place, or whether they were properly reset when something was uninstalled?

FWIW I've been accessing Canalworld fine using a lappie running XP, so the problem probably wouldn't affect a 'stock' XP install, but is more likely to be due to other installed software.

Maybe if Allan, Julian, Tony, and Paul could list what firewall and AV software or even VPN software is installed or has been installed in the past a common factor may emerge.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Avast antivirus (free version) and win xp firewall.

No VPN.

Recent fdisk and reinstall so no old stuff.

I do use CCleaner including occasional registry cleanup.

Paul