Washing Machine Issues

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Hello All

We have an issue with our Zanussi ZWC1300W. It started yesterday when it would not unlock the door, it then progressed to not draining but if you put it onto the spin program it would empty. Put it on again this morning and it started the program but its now stopped again and was making a feint buzzing noise and it wont spin. It is less than 2 years old.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Alternately are their any washing machine engineers in the Derby Willington area.

Thanks in advance.

Hello All

We have an issue with our Zanussi ZWC1300W. It started yesterday when it would not unlock the door, it then progressed to not draining but if you put it onto the spin program it would empty. Put it on again this morning and it started the program but its now stopped again and was making a feint buzzing noise and it wont spin. It is less than 2 years old.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Alternately are their any washing machine engineers in the Derby Willington area.

Thanks in advance.

On the inverter or shore power?

Hello Yes its on Shore power.

Just tried it again I left it switched off for a bit and tried its now running through the spin program and its pumped water out. Its done this before but wont't seem to do a full wash program.

Had it apart yesterday and there was a black bellows type thing that led into the pump pressing that was pumping the water out. And its spinning and pumping now which would indicate its not the pump blocked. Very frustrating as it cost an arm and a leg this washing machine.

Edited by Sarah and Ian

Hello Yes its on Shore power.

Just tried it again I left it switched off for a bit and tried its now running through the spin program and its pumped water out. Its done this before but wont't seem to do a full wash program.

Have you done the basic stuff like checking the filter is not blocked?

If the bellow thing is the pressure sensor that controls the fill level etc, it may be worth giving that a clean out - I've done it by blowing through them in the past - as they get blocked with detergent and that interferes with the pump cycles.

The questions about what breed of electricity you use, and how long you 've been on it, will help point folk in the right direction. Could be the control box is just plain knackered.

It has no filter... blasted thing!

If pump is not blocked and presumably you could turn the impeller plus with the door not unlocking it does rather sound like a problem with the control board. :(

These are normally quite expensive so before I bought a new one to replace it I'd be tempted to get a pro. to look at it. We once had similar with an older Zannussi and it was the board, the machine was so old we replaced it with a new machine.

Your s sounds worth repairing.

I've just relaised we have the same machine on our boat and I've never noticed it doesn't have a filter... how daft is that.

Third washing machine on the marina to go wrong in as many days!!! The man (I'm told) who is brilliant and fixes things is Stewart Bannister 07774 459751. Burton-ish I believe. Responds quickly, sorts things with the minimum of fuss and at an entirely reasonable cost.

(no connection to Stewart Bannister - not even a customer, just a friend of a very satisfied customer)

S&I

It is a blocked pump - guaranteed. Tip the m/c at an angle onto it's top/front edge, resting against something solid so it can't slip. Empty the m/c by laying the waste pipe low into a washing up bowl. Gravity will empty it, and once empty, will alow you to open the door. The reason the door won't open is because the door interlock is controlled pneumatically - determined by the water level. Remove pump and take off the pump housing. Remove whatever crap is jamming the impeller. (Usually coins, washers etc. - although I did once unwind a prophylactic from round an impeller, much to the embarrasment of the young housewife who was watching over my shoulder!).

S&I

It is a blocked pump - guaranteed. Tip the m/c at an angle onto it's top/front edge, resting against something solid so it can't slip. Empty the m/c by laying the waste pipe low into a washing up bowl. Gravity will empty it, and once empty, will alow you to open the door. The reason the door won't open is because the door interlock is controlled pneumatically - determined by the water level. Remove pump and take off the pump housing. Remove whatever crap is jamming the impeller. (Usually coins, washers etc. - although I did once unwind a prophylactic from round an impeller, much to the embarrasment of the young housewife who was watching over my shoulder!).

I've done as suggested impeller completely clean and noting obstructing it. Running the washer empty on a rinse cycle it fills then once full topping the cycle and putting onto a spin cycle the drum half empties with clothes you can not see the water level. Checked the waste pipe my removing and blowing down it and it seems clear. I'm running out of ideas now.

I've only disconnected it from the washer the other end is connected to a skin fitting to the outside and its fiddly to get at. Blowing down the pipe its clear.

Question I have been having is do washing machines just pump from a pre determined time or do they use a something to measure the water depth??

OK. Check the sump hose. Make sure there is nothing interfering with the ball. If Ok, I would remove the pump and check (1)that the impeller is rotating with the shaft (2) when rotating impeller, do you feel a slight resistance and then it 'flips' (3) bench test with mains supply direct to pump (not easy I know unless you happen to have a plug/leadwith amp tags - I have one made just for that purpose.

In essence, you need to ensure there is nothing interfering with the water flow from the tub and the the pump works OK

Edited by Pennine

Take the sump hose off the m/c to be sure there is nothing interfering. Once off ,feel in the gap betwen the inner and outer tub through the sump hole as best you can. Small items can get into the space between the tubs and block the sump outlet - rare but I have seen it happen. It is worth testing the pump off the m/c, if only to eliminate it as faulty.

Too far from Derby to pop round unfortunately. :(

Edited by Pennine

Hello All

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Don't do anything but take it back to the supplier to fix. EU rights en all.

Hi.

I am no expert but in my experiance it is the pump that is suspect here. I have no connection with this company, but this looks like the part you need.

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washing-machines/electrolux/p/1085/15/0/0/562125/washing-machine-drain-pum.html

Worth a look . I have revived a number of appliances recently using parts sourced from this company.

John.

If it should turn out to be a faulty pump, no need to spend £47. The pump is available without the chamber (which you already have) for c. £10, assuming it is the common Askoll pump.

Linky

Like I said, no expert. Worth a tenner to give it a try. :cheers:

Question I have been having is do washing machines just pump from a pre determined time or do they use a something to measure the water depth??

Yes - the thing I suggested you check isn't blocked. Typically a narrow fuel pipe sized pipe leading up from the pump.

Just thought I'd mention, as I installed mine last week and noticed, the clean water filter is actually built into the end of the fresh water pipe, where it connects to the cold water feed/boat plumbing. Might be worth making sure there is no gunge build up at that end first.