FORUM

steveiom

Featured Posts

is any body else having trouble with the site(CDF)

having trouble downloading.

Yep - lots of us having problems at the mo - see this thread

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54557&pid=1038128&st=120entry1038128

I think the gist of it is that the hamster hasn't been fed enough to run such an active forum :)

Don't know weather this will post, finding it extremely difficult to link to pages now

Server errors again, maybe it's busy, i'm about to give up though :lol:

P1

Don't know weather this will post, finding it extremely difficult to link to pages now

Server errors again, maybe it's busy, i'm about to give up though :lol:

P1

p2

Me too - I was in chat and just 'died'!!

Theyyyy're back :lol:

I;m now getting far more server errors that actual requested pages. I noted not many members logged on either. Other sites i'm using are fine.

P1

I bet this goes first time now I've stated that :lol:

Me too - I was in chat and just 'died'!!

Theyyyy're back :lol:

I;m now getting far more server errors that actual requested pages. I noted not many members logged on either. Other sites i'm using are fine.

P1

I bet this goes first time now I've stated that :lol:

second then

ok third

4th

5th

Something odd was going on last night, about 10.30 it was very difficult to get a connection, and when it finally worked, the figures at the bottom said there were about forty members and something like 2,000 (yes 2,000) guests, - I don't think so.

I suspect it has something to do with people logging on through facebook which is corrupting this site. Some while ago my 86 year old mother in law appeared as a new member, and the only reason that could have happened was that I had accessed canalworld from her computer on the previous day. There is no way she would even know about this site, let alone join up as a member, interestingly although she appeared in a list of members who had recently "joined", she did not appear in the list of members which is accessible from the home page.

Edited by David Schweizer

Something odd was going on last night, about 10.30 it was very difficult to get a connection, and when it finally worked, the figures at the bottom said there were about forty members and something like 2,000 (yes 2,000) guests, - I don't think so.

I suspect it has something to do with people logging on through facebook which is corrupting this site. Some while ago my 86 year old mother in law appeared as a new member, and the only reason that could have happened was that I had accessed canalworld from her computer on the previous day. There is no way she would even know about this site, let alone join up as a member, interestingly although she appeared in a list of members who had recently "joined", she did not appear in the list of members which is accessible from the home page.

I'm not aware of any facility that permits you to "log on through Facebook", and think you need a genuine forum ID to log on and post, (happy to be corrected by the admins if that is wrong though).

The large number of "guest" connections is likely to to include large numbers of connections by search engines like Google that are constantly trawling through everything to update their search lists, (although 2,000 does sound a lot.)

If doubtful of just how much activity goes into this, try doing a Google search on a specific string you entered in a CWDF post even only hours ago. The changes are Google will already know about it - in some cases I have found it takes under an hour for Google to have fully indexed a new post I made.

Interesting comments about the chat-room though. Presumably that will be using the same resource as we are getting capped on for the rest of the forum. As that is "instanataneous" stuff, probably unlikely to be useful in even a day or two's time, let alone a few months, is there any reason it needs to be done via the Forum? Would creating of a CWDF "chat" group on Facebook alleviate pressure on the main CWDF Forum site?

I'm not aware of any facility that permits you to "log on through Facebook", and think you need a genuine forum ID to log on and post, (happy to be corrected by the admins if that is wrong though).

The large number of "guest" connections is likely to to include large numbers of connections by search engines like Google that are constantly trawling through everything to update their search lists, (although 2,000 does sound a lot.)

If doubtful of just how much activity goes into this, try doing a Google search on a specific string you entered in a CWDF post even only hours ago. The changes are Google will already know about it - in some cases I have found it takes under an hour for Google to have fully indexed a new post I made.

Interesting comments about the chat-room though. Presumably that will be using the same resource as we are getting capped on for the rest of the forum. As that is "instanataneous" stuff, probably unlikely to be useful in even a day or two's time, let alone a few months, is there any reason it needs to be done via the Forum? Would creating of a CWDF "chat" group on Facebook alleviate pressure on the main CWDF Forum site?

Sign yourself off the forum, go into the home page, click on "sign in" and it offers the facility to log on through face book, alternativly just click on the "f" box at the end of the sign in panel and you will be logged on through face book irrespective of whether you are forum member or not.

I am not amember of facebook, but Jan is, somehow my computer knows that she is on facebook on her laptop and signs on in her name, also adding her to the list of "members" If it can do that what else can it do?

Edited by David Schweizer

Do you not see this on the log in screen?

Facebooklogin_zps12421c10.jpg

I've never used it mind so don't know if it actually works.

Edited by The Dog House

bugger off.

smiley so you don't take a fence. ;)

Do you not see this on the log in screen?

Facebooklogin_zps12421c10.jpg

I've never used it mind so don't know if it actually works.

Well I've never noticed it until you pointed it out!

That said I don't think I am asked to log in except in very rare circumstances, so rarely see that screen.

Is it a fairly new thing?

Presumably it requires you to load a specific Facebook "App", so I can't immediately see how David's MIL would have ended up with a FB related account without doing some action that prompted it?

That said I'm not a fan of how much info FB "leaks out" about you - I can see that be logging in to CWDF through a FB "App" it is likely to share with CWDF an email adress I certainly don't want shared.

A shame that FB can do a lot of things you have to guard hard against - it's a pity it is otherwise so useful!

bugger off.

smiley so you don't take a fence. ;)

It seems a shame if Dan is paying for bandwidth that is only for chatting, when you can have it for free. What does the CWDF chat room offer that other chat facilities can't do as well?

(Serious question, as I'm not normally a "chatter").

Well I've never noticed it until you pointed it out!

That said I don't think I am asked to log in except in very rare circumstances, so rarely see that screen.

Is it a fairly new thing?

Presumably it requires you to load a specific Facebook "App", so I can't immediately see how David's MIL would have ended up with a FB related account without doing some action that prompted it?

That said I'm not a fan of how much info FB "leaks out" about you - I can see that be logging in to CWDF through a FB "App" it is likely to share with CWDF an email adress I certainly don't want shared.

A shame that FB can do a lot of things you have to guard hard against - it's a pity it is otherwise so useful!

It seems a shame if Dan is paying for bandwidth that is only for chatting, when you can have it for free. What does the CWDF chat room offer that other chat facilities can't do as well?

(Serious question, as I'm not normally a "chatter").

I have had several error messages this morning already and there is no-one in chat.

In your post above you refer to how intrusive FB is, I want no part of that, sooner or later there are going to be serious issues with it that will affect all users.

The Chatroom in here is rarely used at peak times, only in the evenings when maybe others are in pubs, watching tv or in bed.

It provides a social link to people who enjoy a bit of banter, know each other (and most have met someone or another in the flesh before or since their chatroom forays). It has been a vital lifeline to some people at times, when isolated away in deepest mid winter and is a valuable part of the CWDF community.

It also has had the exclusive pleasure of many crisis unfolding as chatroom is open, who can forget Wolfie rescuing her fallen in cat or (Anonymous) setting fire to her tea towel which she had on top of the stove when learning how to make it stay in for longer than 1/2 an hour.

Oh, and it's mad as hell sometimes too and spills over into threads in the forum which can be very funny to read next day!!.

Edited by matty40s

Wonder how much bandwidth is taken by text or graphics, and whether some of the graphics etc could be put hosted on another provider.

cheers, Pete

~smpt~

If you mean graphics as in the pictures that people post - they are in my case always hosted on Photobucket and just linked to here, most others do this AFAIK - or did you mean something else??

If you mean graphics as in the pictures that people post - they are in my case always hosted on Photobucket and just linked to here, most others do this AFAIK - or did you mean something else??

Getting lots of issues this evening - mainly internal server errors and resource limits exceeded. I think something is not quite right somewhere. Using iPad Mini with IOS 6.1.2

<br />Getting lots of issues this evening - mainly internal server errors and resource limits exceeded.  I think something is not quite right somewhere.  Using iPad Mini with IOS 6.1.2<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@canalworld.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Hellish, what's going on