moorings

fizz12

Featured Posts

ok guys its me again, we are now due to move our live aboard boat, we are pondering on one of two ways, towards reading and be-oned where there will be the possibility of more work or towards nottingham where there wil be possibility of more moorings, now we cant pay for moorings until we get work, so the first place seems more feasable, so can any one advise, is there any free 14 day moorings near reading either side, or would it be better to go nottingham way, hubby a chef, ime a carer, we are due tomove this thursday, once we have work and gained some funds then we can loo at marinas, but going to take around 4-6 months to save for that, this boating lark is becomming impossible help advice please

ok guys its me again, we are now due to move our live aboard boat, we are pondering on one of two ways, towards reading and be-oned where there will be the possibility of more work or towards nottingham where there wil be possibility of more moorings, now we cant pay for moorings until we get work, so the first place seems more feasable, so can any one advise, is there any free 14 day moorings near reading either side, or would it be better to go nottingham way, hubby a chef, ime a carer, we are due tomove this thursday, once we have work and gained some funds then we can loo at marinas, but going to take around 4-6 months to save for that, this boating lark is becomming impossible help advice please

Most (if not all) marinas offer the facility to pay for a mooring monthly or quarterly so you shouldn't have to save for anything like 6 months assuming you both or at least one of you finds work.

The trust accept payment monthly on their Long term moorings too.

It costs more then paying in one single payment but we do this to even out our annual costs.

Most (if not all) marinas offer the facility to pay for a mooring monthly or quarterly so you shouldn't have to save for anything like 6 months assuming you both or at least one of you finds work.

The trust accept payment monthly on their Long term moorings too.

It costs more then paying in one single payment but we do this to even out our annual costs.

that is good to know, but will still need to find work first, is it feasable to go reading way, is there any free canal side moorings until we do find work, or is it better to head nottingham way

or just sell the boat and go homeless :banghead:

that is good to know, but will still need to find work first, is it feasable to go reading way, is there any free canal side moorings until we do find work, or is it better to head nottingham way

Sorry I don't know enough about moorings in that area - I was just making a general point as to how your situation may be eased a bit.

I've been through Nottingham a couple of times on our boat but it was a while ago now and we've sadly never got near Reading - somebody else is best to advise.

The potential problem you will have of course is sticking within the rules of being a continuous cruiser if you need to stay in a particular area for a significant length of time whilst you find work and before you find a home mooring.

Sorry I don't know enough about moorings in that area - I was just making a general point as to how your situation may be eased a bit.

I've been through Nottingham a couple of times on our boat but it was a while ago now and we've sadly never got near Reading - somebody else is best to advise.

The potential problem you will have of course is sticking within the rules of being a continuous cruiser if you need to stay in a particular area for a significant length of time whilst you find work and before you find a home mooring.

yes i was looking at 14 day or 7 day moorings and moving to keep legal until we save some money

I've looked at the figures and the unemployment figures on the BBC website for Nottingham are between 4.5% and 8.1%, Reading 2.9-3.3% plus wages are likely to be higher in Reading, however, won't that put you on the K&A? 14 day morrings may become much harder to come by down south if some of the things you read come true.

As you travel why not look on the way, couple of days here and there you'd bee suprised how many towns you'll be passing through or close to, unless you particularly want to be in one of those 2 places.

I've looked at the figures and the unemployment figures on the BBC website for Nottingham are between 4.5% and 8.1%, Reading 2.9-3.3% plus wages are likely to be higher in Reading, however, won't that put you on the K&A? 14 day morrings may become much harder to come by down south if some of the things you read come true.

As you travel why not look on the way, couple of days here and there you'd bee suprised how many towns you'll be passing through or close to, unless you particularly want to be in one of those 2 places.

yes looks better going south, not have to be in reading, just south, but am trying to sus out if 14 day or 7 day mooring is feasable, until we get ourselves sorted out

yes looks better going south, not have to be in reading, just south, but am trying to sus out if 14 day or 7 day mooring is feasable, until we get ourselves sorted out

Where will you be setting out from?

Mooring is limited on the Eastern end of the K&A, there are marinas, Aldermaston (Frouds Bridge) and Newbury. Some on line mooring as well but it is limited, as the canal is a river between Newbury and Reading.

CCing is possible because the Great Western Railway runs alongside the canal and the stations are close so commuting into Reading would work.

Ken

Mooring is limited on the Eastern end of the K&A, there are marinas, Aldermaston (Frouds Bridge) and Newbury. Some on line mooring as well but it is limited, as the canal is a river between Newbury and Reading.

CCing is possible because the Great Western Railway runs alongside the canal and the stations are close so commuting into Reading would work.

Ken

yes doing some research now thanks, also will be looking into housing benefit until we get work as this might get us into a marina

yes i was looking at 14 day or 7 day moorings and moving to keep legal until we save some money

You may be making the assumption that you can legitimately move from one 14 day mooring to the next and then back again. If you are registered as Continuous Cruisers then you have to be 'making progress' around the system and, although it is not precisely defined, the courts are pretty good at working out what it means to move from one 'place' to another 'place' which you will have to agree to when you next register as a CC. Or at least working out when someone really is not attempting to do so.

There is also the issue that to get to Reading from Banbury, you will have to go onto the Thames and thereby have to pay out for a different licence, and obey different stopping rules. I have been learning a bit more about the Thames and mooring rules etc. recently and they are quite different, as well as requiring a different licence to be held.

Edited by Starcoaster

The missus and I moved to Nottingham area about 12 months ago and both had jobs within a couple of weeks that we wanted. Moorings are easily had at various marinas and several online available on CART website at the moment. As for wages, well they will of course depend on job but remember one very very important fact and that is that everyday essentials like PUB prices and eating out are enormously cheaper round Nottingham than either Banbury or Reading and I mean enormously !! so that needs factoring in. :cheers:

Tim

Without knwing your exact circumstances it is difficult to offer comlete solutions to your dialemma. I also can't speak for your options down south and up here i'm still a newbie to all of this.

One good thing about up here around Nottingham is that you are very central. Depending on what sort of work you want, how far you are willing to commute etc, if you were to look at a map and stick a pin in Nottingha, you can get to a hell of a lot of other major towns/cities within 30-45 mins wich will give you more options for work.

Did i imagine that you are a chef? Have you tried approaching any of the canal side pubs/buisnesses in either are to see if they are looking for any staff with the season about to start?

Wherever you go you'll need to comply with the CC'ing guidelines which, without a home mooring is going to cost you a fair bit in fuel and travelling costs to get to work bearing in mind at some points in your 'genuine journey' or whatever they call it, you will be a fair distance from your place of work. How will these costs compare to getting a CRT LTM and paying monthy? There is one available at Bishops Meadow in Loughborough i thnik. This would put you (by car) well within 30 mins of Leics/Nottingham/Melton Mowbray and to a greater extent Derby/Newark and south Leics. There are also lots and lots of rural pubs in this area.

Without knwing your exact circumstances it is difficult to offer comlete solutions to your dialemma. I also can't speak for your options down south and up here i'm still a newbie to all of this.

One good thing about up here around Nottingham is that you are very central. Depending on what sort of work you want, how far you are willing to commute etc, if you were to look at a map and stick a pin in Nottingha, you can get to a hell of a lot of other major towns/cities within 30-45 mins wich will give you more options for work.

Did i imagine that you are a chef? Have you tried approaching any of the canal side pubs/buisnesses in either are to see if they are looking for any staff with the season about to start?

Wherever you go you'll need to comply with the CC'ing guidelines which, without a home mooring is going to cost you a fair bit in fuel and travelling costs to get to work bearing in mind at some points in your 'genuine journey' or whatever they call it, you will be a fair distance from your place of work. How will these costs compare to getting a CRT LTM and paying monthy? There is one available at Bishops Meadow in Loughborough i thnik. This would put you (by car) well within 30 mins of Leics/Nottingham/Melton Mowbray and to a greater extent Derby/Newark and south Leics. There are also lots and lots of rural pubs in this area.

thanks for the info this really helps, as soon as we are working we intend to get a ligit mooring as we do not want to cc all the time

as soon as we get work, we will pay for a mooring

The missus and I moved to Nottingham area about 12 months ago and both had jobs within a couple of weeks that we wanted. Moorings are easily had at various marinas and several online available on CART website at the moment. As for wages, well they will of course depend on job but remember one very very important fact and that is that everyday essentials like PUB prices and eating out are enormously cheaper round Nottingham than either Banbury or Reading and I mean enormously !! so that needs factoring in. :cheers:

Tim

hi Tim thanks for info, if we went nottingham, and like you said living expenses cheaper, when we found work, we would bid for a canal side cart mooring as we dont want to be on the move all the time, just needs must until we get work

Being honest I think the best employment opportunity is fizz12's

That for me would be what determined which way we went...

yes but is a big catch 22, work but cant get initial 14 day moorings until money starts comming in, or 14 day moorings until get work if there is any :banghead:

yes but is a big catch 22, work but cant get initial 14 day moorings until money starts comming in, or 14 day moorings until get work if there is any :banghead:

I agree with DH, follow the money, go where the jobs are. The "location Cheshire" threw me you're actually starting from Banbury, so why not Oxford, bit early in the season for seasonal work but the canal there (from memory) runs close to the road for miles (?) so say 5 miles north for a couple of weeks, move a few miles nearer, into Oxford then past and back again you could waste an couple of months like that. Although seasonal work would help your partner for you it's not an issue, as a carer it's a 24/7/365 job. I'd rather be looking for a job in Oxford than a lot of other places.

We cc'd while I was working in Nottingham last year. There's a good cruising range with quite a few 14 day moorings close to public transport. You've got the River Trent into Nottingham, the River Soar which closely follows the railway, the Trent and Mersey, which again has the railway close and the Erewash Canal. Once you've got the money for moorings there's a lot of opportunities in the area.

Will you have a car with you or be reliant on public transport? Obviously if you've got a car it makes your choice of moorings more flexible but it's still doable without.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed information.

Aye - but I think the suggestion is that Fizz & partner can at least start there and get some work, rather than cross the canal system before trying to find work

But IMO it might be harder to hang around in that area than in other places. the No Mooring signs continue to breed in that city - every time we go back there are more and if you don't have a gold license it's incredibly difficult to lurk in Oxford.