Sharpness

andywatson

Featured Posts

I don't know the boat, but curious as the owner of another Pollock Launch Tug.

The forum search function hasn't found any earlier reference for me (no great surprise there).

Any idea for whom was it built, and when?

Tim

Although I have seen RENNIE numerous times I know nothing of its past. Although I have only had a quick look I can find nothing built by 'Pollocks' that is described as a tug named RENNIE.

• Greenie 1

I don't know the boat, but curious as the owner of another Pollock Launch Tug.

The forum search function hasn't found any earlier reference for me (no great surprise there).

Any idea for whom was it built, and when?

Tim

Which one do you own Tim?

My brother in law owned Swallow for over 20 years, but has just sold her. She's about 40'x 9'6", with a 6 cyl. Ford in her. Do you have the book about Pollock's boats? A good read.

John.

Which one do you own Tim?

My brother in law owned Swallow for over 20 years, but has just sold her. She's about 40'x 9'6", with a 6 cyl. Ford in her. Do you have the book about Pollock's boats? A good read.

John.

I have the Kennet, built for Thames Conservancy in 1931. 35' x 9'.

Profile.gif

Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Kennet

A photocopy of the (A?) Pollocks book came with the boat, it's not easy to read in that format so I haven't really pursued it. Maybe I should try again.

Tim

Ah it all floods back now you say that. I lost interest when it became clear it is not a historic boat. Not in the conventional sense anyway.

MtB

What is 'an historic boat in the conventional sense'?

I think we should be told!

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Tim

To me, it means a boat built a good deal more than 19 years ago, and most probably riveted construction or wooden :)

A thread discussing what counts as 'historic' would probably run and run!!!!

What might be your definition of a 'historic' boat Tim?

MtB

To me, it means a boat built a good deal more than 19 years ago, and most probably riveted construction or wooden :)

So would "Willow" just bought by James and Amy of this forum not qualify then?

1935 carrying boat built for the Severn and Canal Carrying Company in 1935, (so older than our "Sickle", but of welded rather than riveted construction?

Facebook group M.B. Willow

I have the Kennet, built for Thames Conservancy in 1931. 35' x 9'.

Profile.gif

Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Kennet

A photocopy of the (A?) Pollocks book came with the boat, it's not easy to read in that format so I haven't really pursued it. Maybe I should try again.

Tim

Tim

Off Topic but I once spent a night on Kennet :)

1935 carrying boat built for the Severn and Canal Carrying Company in 1935, (so older than our "Sickle", but of welded rather than riveted construction?

Also...

5228808189_15f776e05f.jpg

Lock 34, Hatton Locks - Grand Union Canal by imulford, on Flickr

:)

At the risk of upsetting the purists.

An historic boat is one that has contributed to the history of the Waterways

Age has got very little to do with it.

I would include early Springers and the Shropshire Union pleasure boats as well as early Freemans and the like.

Mind you that wouldnt fit with the working boat snobbery would it.

Edited by idleness
  • Greenie 1

Alan,

Please stop pointing out gaping holes in my logic!

:o

(Unless by using the word 'logic', I'm flattering myself.)

MtB

A thread discussing what counts as 'historic' would probably run and run!!!!

What might be your definition of a 'historic' boat Tim?

MtB

Are you saying that RENNIE is less than 19 years old, and not rivetted? I'm sure Pollocks have been out of business for longer than that!

Or do we have some wires crossed somewhere?

Tim

Are you saying that RENNIE is less than 19 years old, and not rivetted? I'm sure Pollocks have been out of business for longer than that!

Tim

According to the thread last time Rennie was discussed on this forum a link said it was built to Pollocks design by Napier Ltd in 1906 and was originally called Rene. It latterly worked on the river Wey and is now narrow beam having had some rubbing strakes removed. It is without doubt a historic boat and is riveted but it is a shame that the cabin works and deck gear have been so altered.

Paul

Tim

Its a very crossed wire.

"Boat name is RENNIE, B.W.B. index number 54099 dating from 1994."

Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups. I assumed this meant the boat was definitely built in 1994, despite my eyes telling me this seemed unlikely.

MtB

Its a very crossed wire.

"Boat name is RENNIE, B.W.B. index number 54099 dating from 1994."

Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups. I assumed this meant the boat was definitely built in 1994, despite my eyes telling me this seemed unlikely.

MtB

The date of issue of a B.W.B. index number has nothing to do with the age of the boat it is issued to. This is the case with both 'historic' and modern craft. In the case of RENNIE I would suggest it had been on non B.W.B. waters prior to its index number issue in 1994. It is also worth bearing in mind that some boats have been issued with B.W.B. index numbers more than once.

• 7 months later...

'Rennie's' original name was 'Rene.'

The info about Rene is contained within a book called 'A Sideways Launch' by Anne Salmon

ISBN 0948193 689

Rene is a launch tug designed and built by James Pollock & Sons, Shipyard Faversham, who were one of the best known and respected shipbuilding yards. She should be listed on the National Historic Ships Register.

According to the records of James Pollock Sons & Co, Ship Builders and Engineers of London and Faversham:
Ship No 928
Rene Launch Tug
Bolinder 20 BHP
Delivery Date January 1921

Edited by Tug Swallow

I'm told Sharpness is now sold. The owner had advertised her at what I felt was an extremely fair price. She stood out a mile amongst all the shapeless and characterless tin boxes advertised on the market today at inflated prices.

I'm told Sharpness is now sold. The owner had advertised her at what I felt was an extremely fair price. She stood out a mile amongst all the shapeless and characterless tin boxes advertised on the market today at inflated prices.

Yes but I wonder why it is constantly up for sale, something to do with the very limited interior space I guess. One for a two boat family like the Sage of Tring I guess, one for posing and one for using :)

Yes but I wonder why it is constantly up for sale, something to do with the very limited interior space I guess. One for a two boat family like the Sage of Tring I guess, one for posing and one for using smile.png

Is she up for sale again?

'Rennie's' original name was 'Rene.'

The info about Rene is contained within a book called 'A Sideways Launch' by Anne Salmon

ISBN 0948193 689

Rene is a launch tug designed and built by James Pollock & Sons, Shipyard Faversham, who were one of the best known and respected shipbuilding yards. She should be listed on the National Historic Ships Register.

According to the records of James Pollock Sons & Co, Ship Builders and Engineers of London and Faversham:

Ship No 928

Rene Launch Tug

Bolinder 20 BHP

Delivery Date January 1921

Nice to see you on here. I'm the brother-in-law of Swallow's previous owner. She's a cracking boat which I was very tempted to buy and take to Ireland to replace our barge.