Does Anyone Have Any Ideas??

Featured Posts

Hi guys

I'm looking to replace my Perspex in the hatch with a piece of laminated glass, however I'm going to need to adjust the fittings as obviously glass is a lot heavier than Perspex.

If anyone has the time to take a look HERE at the existing fittings and share any ideas, it'd be much appreciated.

I know another forum member had a hatch piece made by Matty40s, but that idea is out as I have no where to store it when not in use and dont want pieces of glass lying around incase it falls etc. I also want the glass to be inside the hatch frame when in place rather than on the outside, so it needs to be a similar set up to what I've got now.

Anyone?

Cheers

Edited by lewisericeric

that looks lovely.what kind of lining is on the inside of the hatches?

Nice neat job Nick looks excellent. good draft proofing and helps with heat loss.

For simpliciy which I like sometimes Eric I would fit the glass to fit inside the rebate (not face on) set the glass against a strip of beading set equally all the way around. You could double the bottom bead leaving a snug groove to drop the glass in, push in the top 2 toggles on top, twist & job done.

The sill of the hatch will take all the weight and it's easily removable. Buy toughened glass edges polished.

I presume you are talking about 6mm laminated glass.This can be cut to size by any glass merchant.Toughened glass has to be specialy made. Obviously,you would not consider using ordinary glass.6mm glass is,as you say,very heavy.I would not entertain the idea of a piece of removeable glass without some sort of edging or polishing.Have you considered a plastic lip,bonded on? Good idea to fit inside the frame against a rebate.I dont think you should fit the glass without some form of rubber or plastic gasket.Hope this comment is helpfull.

that looks lovely.what kind of lining is on the inside of the hatches?

On the external hatch doors? It's wood, or in fact I suspect fake wood aka MDF because of its contouring / paneling effect. And then painted and decorated by the signwriter. Standard Steve Hudson stuff. I'd better admit this is nb Stanley and hope they don't mind!

Edited by nicknorman

nick - that does look amazing. I would LOVE internal glazed doors and that is what I originally planned. However, the locks would be in the way of any woodwork and glass on my hatches ( look at the pics of the locks on my blog)

Julian - are you suggesting I keep those brass toggles at the top then but fit some beading around all the other 3 edges?

nick - that does look amazing. I would LOVE internal glazed doors and that is what I originally planned. However, the locks would be in the way of any woodwork and glass on my hatches ( look at the pics of the locks on my blog)

I think you could do it but you would have to replace the hatch frame with something a little thicker, or maybe have a thinner lining on the hatch. You can't see them on my photo but there are bolts on the inside of the outer hatch doors similar to yours.

Of course it would be a BIG job compared to putting a sheet of glass in. But then you have to keep the glass somewhere when you want to have the hatch fully open and that's a bit of a pain!

Edited by nicknorman

Julian - are you suggesting I keep those brass toggles at the top then but fit some beading around all the other 3 edges?

Yeah the inside edges eric, toggles seem of, if they're brass and not plasic :lol: I would use hardwood though

Fit the glass inside the hatch frame, bead top sides & bottom, if you use 6mm glass add another bead to the bottom 6mm away from the other resulting in a 6mm groove for the glass to sit in. You could also make it draft proof by applying a thin neoprene strip all around the beading that the glass butts against, so then the glass is held in place it presses against the neopreen creating a seal. Hardwood toggles won't scratch the glass. I'm very ttempted to make one, being all porthole it can be dark in the winter, open side hatches and no cold would be good. Chilly evenings too Probably around £40 quid max for the glass. 5 mill max for me

I'm tthinking to fit a frame/rack under the gunwale to put the glass when not in use.

You can order laminated or toughened glass to size with polished edges.

Edited by Julynian

Goodgurl - I did think of that but then its a bit of a hassle taking the mirror screws off each 4 corners every time you want to open the hatch,

If you notice on the pics, the bottom of the Perspex at the moment does actually sit on two mirror screws.

Julian I think I know what u mean and yes they are brass not plastic! One thing I don't understand though, is that if the glass is going to go inside the rebate, how will I take it in and out??

I don't really want to alter the hatch now at all, as that's all brand new and cost a bit as it was. We talked about the internal glazed doors at the time but the joiner wasn't that keen saying that I'd never be able to have them fully open, back on themselves as there's a cupboard on the right hand side which would stop the doors opening right back against the wall - and therefore would be open over the hob, something which might be of concern when it comes to BSS time!

I found a company online who wanted £17 for laminated glass which was 6.4mm thick.... Delivery was 72 quid! Unbelievable !!

Edited by lewisericeric

Goodgurl - I did think of that but then its a bit of a hassle taking the mirror screws off each 4 corners every time you want to open the hatch,

If you notice on the pics, the bottom of the Perspex at the moment does actually sit on two mirror screws.

Julian I think I know what u mean and yes they are brass not plastic!

I don't really want to alter the hatch now at all, as that's all brand new and cost a bit as it was. We talked about the internal glazed doors at the time but the joiner wasn't that keen saying that I'd never be able to have them fully open, back on themselves as there's a cupboard on the right hand side which would stop the doors opening right back against the wall - and therefore would be open over the hob, something which might be of concern when it comes to BSS time!

I found a company online who wanted £17 for laminated glass which was 6.4mm thick.... Delivery was 72 quid! Unbelievable !!

I had some glass panels made up in Norwich by a company called Uniglaze but they have gone bust, I don't know if I could get it done by whoever has taken their work on?

I also know a company just outside Cambridge who may be able to supply it. http://www.go-glass.co.uk/ which is not a million miles from March when you get there.

Julian I think I know what u mean and yes they are brass not plastic! One thing I don't understand though, is that if the glass is going to go inside the rebate, how will I take it in and out??

Your cabin sides slope inward at the top surely, it should just lean back from the top when you turn the toggles, if it don't use a sucker :lol:

Adding 4 strips of beading isn't altering, internal doors won't really work in your situation, agreed

Order glass via a glazier, you'll probably have to wait but no delivery cost, he last piece I bought was twice the size of the hatch witth 3/4 inch bevel £70 I see no reason for bbein over £40

Edited by Julynian

Brian - thanks for the link, think I will give them a "go"(!) and I hope that they will deliver for a reasonable charge!

Julian - got it! I know what you mean now.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

You should be able to get it locally, Look for the local double glassing company, not a National one and give them a ring.

Probably not what you want, but we have glazed interior doors on ours. This photo is not our boat, but we have the same thing.

8497715755_b3e79d78fb_c.jpg

hello nicknorman, any chance of some more pics of the doors or even your own ones if they are the same maybe with the internal doors open?cheers. paul