What am I - confused of the cut

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi, I plan to leave my present marina in Iver and take a leisurely trip back up to the Midlands via Oxford. I plan to get a permanent berth in a marina near Shardlow area but haven't had the chance to check any out as yet. Thought I might visit some on my travels and then decide. My licence is one which says I have a permanent berth in a marina, but will I become a CCer until I find another permanent berth, I'm not planning to swap my licence but strictly speaking I will no longer have a permanent berth- so will I be in breach of the licence terms?

Also, as it will take me a while to get to my destination and I will have to return home occasionally for a week or so, what are the best places to leave the boat moored up and unattended? Will marinas give me a short term berth? Or would you just leave the boat tied up on the canal, away from time limited moorings?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother informing CaRT if you are intending to move to another marina unless you take more than 12 months over it.

i would inform your insurance company though (it was cheaper for me!!). There are lots of moorings along the way, you are as likely to get broken into as someone in a house whether in a marina or on the bank. There are many forum members up and down, if you have a cruise plan, why not let someone local keep their eye on the boat while you are away.

I have had weeks away from my boat, don't let it look abandoned, leave the TV ariel up, maybe even a chair on the front deck etc.

Shardlow area you have Crockers Farm, shardlow marina, Dobsons wharf, sawley Gulag, red hill, and there are some on line moorings just above shardlow lock (i think with a vacancy at the mo.)

We regularly leave our boat on the towpath for up to two weeks at a time and have never had a problem in over 3 years (touch wood!) We generally prefer isolated locations in the middle of the countryside, but have left it unmolested in more populated areas amongst other boats - sometimes safety in numbers is good. It's worth arriving early and having a wander round the immediate area to get a feel for it - common sense plays a great part.

The first time we did it was awful (I cried - soppy moo) but we've grown quite used to it now.

As Ange says, common sense applies.

Also it is worth asking on here for areas you don't know. Sometimes the rough looking areas are OK and the nice looking places have a reputation...

We have never ever been in a marina and spend all our time canal side and in 10 years had no problem, touch lots of wood ;)

as said above most places are safe to leave the boat, as matty said there are marina's above shardlow mercia and barton turns but both windy places to get inti and out of, all marina's will give you visitor moorings if you don't feel the area is safe.

If its any help, when we licensed the boat last November the guy in the Wigan office asked if we had a mooring. We said we had but we would be going out for 6 months come March and possibly finding a different winter berth this year. So we are registered with a home mooring and this year we still will be just a different one. They were fine with that so I would say no need to worry. With regards to insurance we told them exactly the same thing and our insurance was based on these facts.

I don't know what others think, but whenever we leave our boat unattended on the towpath, we leave it near other boats where possible - and make sure it looks lived in but lived in by someone poor! Nothing of value left on display, but some of the detritus of every day life left in view (we have windows on our doors) - newspaper out, a coffee cup left out, etc.

I don't know what others think, but whenever we leave our boat unattended on the towpath, we leave it near other boats where possible - and make sure it looks lived in but lived in by someone poor! Nothing of value left on display, but some of the detritus of every day life left in view (we have windows on our doors) - newspaper out, a coffee cup left out, etc.

Currently living in a house whenever we're out we use a fake TV. It's a small plug in device about the size of a small coffee mug and it emits flashes of light that mimic a tv being on in a room and looks very realistic. When we start living aboard out boat in a couple of months time we plan to use it for the same purpose. The only thing is I'm not sure how much power it will draw from the boats batteries but I wouldn't think it would be very much.

Here's the link or just google 'fake tv'

http://www.proidee.co.uk/?P=200565754&H=froogle

I think they are great. Has anyone else used them?

Currently living in a house whenever we're out we use a fake TV. It's a small plug in device about the size of a small coffee mug and it emits flashes of light that mimic a tv being on in a room and looks very realistic. When we start living aboard out boat in a couple of months time we plan to use it for the same purpose. The only thing is I'm not sure how much power it will draw from the boats batteries but I wouldn't think it would be very much.

Here's the link or just google 'fake tv'

http://www.proidee.co.uk/?P=200565754&H=froogle

I think they are great. Has anyone else used them?

From the add. Only uses 2.5 watts – less power than an energy-saving bulb.

There is a battery powered one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZENNOX-TV-Simulator/dp/B006LL2LS6

Edited by ditchcrawler

From the add. Only uses 2.5 watts – less power than an energy-saving bulb.

There is a battery powered one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZENNOX-TV-Simulator/dp/B006LL2LS6

I've just ordered one of these. I worry, leaving the boat for any length of time. We don't have anything very valuable on board but I would hate to be broken into, full stop.

Willowbrooke does indeed have one (maybe 2) online moorings coming up.. pm me for their number if you want it :) (dont like putting other peoples phone numbers on websites without their permission)

Crockers currently full. Not asked Dobsons yet, so try your luck (google JD Narrowboats). Stenson has two free for boats up to 57ft.

Hi,

It all depends on what facilities you are looking for. Sawley marina has most in that area, being chandlery, shower blocks, elsan, pumpout, slipway,launderette, good security and the pub on site do a mean fish supper on a Friday night. Unfortunately it will be closing soon but another local just across the road that sell pub grub.

Shardlow has about the same but you have to use local caravan site for showers.

Redhill basic no security, porter cabin toilet and cafe. Office is rarely open and site can get quite muddy. But owners very friendly and cafe owners you couldn't ask for nicer people.

Hope this helps

Andrea

Thanks for the posts on TV simulators - I had not seen them. I was considering an alarm system for when I will occasionally leave the boat but was a bit concerned about possible false alarms. So have now bought a Simulator and a timer for a table lamp. Much cheaper than an alarm and hopefully more of a deterrent.

I think I have also found a way to hide the tell-tail padlock. As my hatch overhangs the stern doors I intend to fit a hinged 6" square wooden panel, covered with a suitable vinyl decal. Drops down when I am out and hides the padlock. Flip up onto the hatch when back.