Where will I get stuck?

GSer

Featured Posts

Due to family issues I may need to relocate the boat(s) to the Chester area for a couple of years perhaps, Apache is 70' x 6'10", Cygnus is 71' 6" x 7'1" ('ish' i will check)

Choice of routes would mean either:

1 K&A, Up Thames, Oxford, GU, BCN, Shroppie.

2 K&A, Down Thames, GU, BCN, Shroppie.

I'm planning on two weeks to get it done but I fear the GU route might take me a few days longer perhaps. But i'm concerned that the butty might stick on the Oxford width wise, and the Shroppie is either listed as a 72' canal or 70' depending on what info the 'net decides to display.

I can leave the butty behind, but i'd need to sell her as i'd have no time to keep her up together.

Cheers

Paul

We are full length and width went from Tring to Nantwich , Middlewhich and back using GU , Coventry, T&M , Shroppie , Staffs and Worcs. You may have a problem with Cygnus at the end of the Oxford by the Folly Inn if she has spread at all. This caused us a problem when we had Canis - small woolwich but 60'.

We are full length and width went from Tring to Nantwich , Middlewhich and back using GU , Coventry, T&M , Shroppie , Staffs and Worcs. You may have a problem with Cygnus at the end of the Oxford by the Folly Inn if she has spread at all. This caused us a problem when we had Canis - small woolwich but 60'.

Im surprised you had problems with Canis, never had a problem with Canis Major (60'), she even fits through Hurleston, and it is only the back counter that isnt original

Due to family issues I may need to relocate the boat(s) to the Chester area for a couple of years perhaps, Apache is 70' x 6'10", Cygnus is 71' 6" x 7'1" ('ish' i will check)

I'm planning on two weeks to get it done but I fear the GU route might take me a few days longer perhaps. But i'm concerned that the butty might stick on the Oxford width wise, and the Shroppie is either listed as a 72' canal or 70' depending on what info the 'net decides to display.

I can leave the butty behind, but i'd need to sell her as i'd have no time to keep her up together.

Cheers

Paul

Can't recall any particular problems with Fulbourne on any of that route bar some shortish locks on the K&A which might be a problem for a full length pair (but OK when we paired with a 68 footer), or Beeston Iron Lock which may be too narrow for the pair. In both cases singling out would be OK. Do you have the chains on Cygnus to pull her in a bit if necessary?

The Oxford is the great unknown to me, we are 71'*7'&1/2"

No problems on the Shroppie, Chester Northgate will be tight for length, but doable, Beeston Iron you may be better of singling out width problems, one can get caught on the horizontal frame about half way down, however we have fitted with Gifford in the past, you just need to know about it.

BCN - fenders up job, no width problems, that I'm aware off, depth is another story!

Northern GU

Camp Hill - I believe the top lock fore bay has now been fixed, you need to check with C&RT, it should be 7'2" but it falls in over time, back end of 2011 we got well stuck had to be winched out and then had to do the Northern Stratford and then the pain of the W&B, bottom to near the top, with crap rather than mud ,so like being on a roller coaster, same as the BCN new main line really. We also got stuck there in 1985 for the same reason, with the same solutions, but we have been ok befoer and after that untill 2011. Didn't go that way in 2012, so don't know for sure they have fixed it. They just drain the fore bay and literally jack the walls apart.

The rest of the GU fine except Blue Luis Bridge - its too narrow for a pair you have to single out.

The real unknown is the Southern Oxford. We have been up and down there, by it was a long long time ago (1977), and locks move.

Please tell us who you get on.

Its a tin boat why not just pull her in a bit, and it matters where you are wide, as the locks you get stuck in tend to be due to them being mis-shaped, rather than being narrow. It is amazing how far one can pull a boat in with chains, even if you have a shed on it.

Other things to worry about but not on your route, this is where we worry.

The S&W can be tight for us both ways, but is do able with care.

The line side locks (western ones) on Cheshire locks, are a no go area got stuck in 63 in 2011 due to other lock being repaired, there are 3 others we do not fit in 60, 54.

The Llangolan - Hurlston locks we can't get into the bottom lock. Last check in 2012

Lock 11 Marple going up hill, our fat bit is dead opposite the kink! doable - last passed Oct 2012 both ways

Lock 21 HNC - we can't get out due to kinked offside wall around the top gate. 2005 still not fixed, C&RT know about this.

Top lock of the Droitwitch Junction, fore bay guard miss positioned, dead on 7' wide rather than 7'2", we require a winch, but can do it, C&RT have said they are going to fix this, I don't know if they have done so. Last stuck there in 2011.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

Cygnus is pretty much still how she was built in the hold area, with chains and spreaders, but the back cabin was replaced with a steel one in the 70's-80's it is here where she is at her widest.

If it goes ahead i will certainly keep notes.

Cheers

Paul

I assume you have factored in having to work Oxford locks twice and GU ones only once?

I'm sure you have, but you can probably do large amounts of the GU staying breasted, (although if you are going to try, ask for latest advice about pinch points before you start - oh!, and don't try it in the tunnels!...)

I don't think you'll find length a problem on any of the narrow canals - the only worry is butty width.

Is the cabin holding it wider than it might otherwise be ?

If there is a doorway from cabin to hold, might it not still pull in a bit with a chain near the back, (particularly if you have the door open! :lol:)

Cheers

Paul

Oxford wil lbe a bit of a bugger, Claydon, Marsdon top , Napton are all well tight though if you've still go the chains you should be OK and it's quicker than the southern GU. Nothing in the BCN will give any problems and Wolverhampton 21 are fine.

You may have problems if you go be the Stratford to Norton Junction (i can't remember but i seem to recall a couple of tight ones in the Lapworth flight)

Shropshire Union I have no idea.

You may have problems if you go be the Stratford to Norton Junction (i can't remember but i seem to recall a couple of tight ones in the Lapworth flight)

Shropshire Union I have no idea.

Sickle isn't particularly tight in anything on either the Northern Stratford nor the Shroppie.

OK, she is not full length, so a banana shaped lock could still trap a full length boat where Sickle is fine, but I don't think thee are any likely issues on either.

Sickle was also fine on the T&M when we occasionally had to use the lock in a pair that is marked for only 6' 10" beam, because the lock you are supposed to take a full width boat through was out of action.

I've not tried the Southern Oxford with Sickle yet, though.

The Napton flight think its 2nd or 3rd lock up from bottom is very narrow have seen 2 wooden boats stuck in the lock (not at the same time) . One spent a week with chains around it being tightened , don't know if it made it through. The other took an hourto get out and turned round and headed back to the G.U. .Bunny

Sorry to see you leaving the K&A. Very much enjoyed looking round the lovely work you've done on Apache, I wish I could do woodwork to that level. If you are gone for a couple of years by the time you return we will have pulled pins and gone mobile ourselves.

Good luck.

Sorry to see you leaving the K&A. Very much enjoyed looking round the lovely work you've done on Apache, I wish I could do woodwork to that level. If you are gone for a couple of years by the time you return we will have pulled pins and gone mobile ourselves.

Good luck.

Nothing is fixed in stone yet, something needs to happen but its all a big juggling act to please everybody involved. Its all quite complicated :banghead:

I'd like to think i'll finish Apache soon, but i thought that last year as well! :blush:

Keep safe

Paul

Had Auriga stuck in Camp Hill top lock going up hill. The rubbing strakes were level with the cast guard irons on the brickwork outside the top gates. There is no winch points here so we were pulled back into the lock and then went out with plenty of power and a lot of rocking!!

Ed Mortimer also got stuck in one of the S&W locks I think it was Filance going down hill.

I wouldn't go down the Oxford if I were you:

For my money, GU, North Oxford, Cov, Trent and Mersey, Staffs and Worcs, Shroppie.

Shroppie locks have to be at least 72 feet, loads of room. Staffs and Worcs locks will be tightest for length but no bother uphill anyway. Lock length is only an issue on the BCN and then only odd ones.

• Greenie 1

Had Auriga stuck in Camp Hill top lock going up hill. The rubbing strakes were level with the cast guard irons on the brickwork outside the top gates. There is no winch points here so we were pulled back into the lock and then went out with plenty of power and a lot of rocking!!

Ed Mortimer also got stuck in one of the S&W locks I think it was Filance going down hill.

When did you get stuck in Camp hill Top? was it before or after us?

--

Cheers Ian Mac

• 3 weeks later...

The decision has now been made, only Apache will be taken 'north' and Cygnus will have to go on the market this week, its a shame because I really had a 5 year plan for her and i'd only just stopped fettling her.

Still its got to be done, so if anybody wants a small woolwich butty, set up as a workshop with nice comfortable accomodation in the slightly extended back cabin just push them my way. New stove, new bed, new soft furnishings, new water tanks, pump, batteries, proper 4 stage charger, solar panel, wind genny, new radio and speakers, refettled elum etc etc i threw money at it cos i didn't think i'd be selling it :banghead:

Paul

Proper advert to follow soon

It was before you - I think about 12 years ago.

Ah that would be the time before then! The top wing wall has been jacked out twice since then that I know of. It moves all the time and when it gets too tight they just come out and jack it out again They have to drain the fore bay to do this operation. Given it is so regular I'm surprised they don't measure it and fix it before it gets too bad, they set it to 7'4" when they fix it. One of the lads actually watched them do it back in the 80's.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

Never had a problem on the Oxford apart from Adelaide getting stuck in Marston doles lock and we pulled her through with a bit of flushing and bow hauling.

Most wooden boats that have been allegedly been unable to go anywhere due to spreading have escaped once chained in.