Making bread

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Can't imagine it is a lot. I cook every evening and use the oven (mostly on gas mark 5) for at least 45 minutes an evening and I use one 13kg bottle every 3 or 4 months

I have one currently bottle connected new in mid Ocober We've been baking the last month and regularily cook roast dinners and it sill hasn't run out. So 4 months so far, I'm pretty happy with that, I carry 3 bottles so in affect have a 1 year supply. Cool

Did you discover beer? :blink:

I was a regular beer drinker from the age of 15 and drank copious amounts of the stuff for the next 20 years :lol: About 6 pints a week does me now :lol: And I certtainly never thought I would end up making bread with it :lol:

I've recently used our bread machine to make rolls with malted multigrain flour - the machine does the mixing, needing, 1st prove so you just take the dough out, roll it a bit and cut into rolls. I gave them an egg glaze, proved for 20 mins then baked. They are fantastic, though I say so myself! Slightly crunchy on the outside with the egg glaze, but light and soft in the middle. Jeff considered that they were better than anything you can buy, and he is not prone to flattery with regard to my cooking skills!

This was all at home, but thinking about getting a machine for the boat. Since the baking is done in an enclosed space and the machine doesn't seem to exude much heat, I don't think it will use that much power even to bake the loaf, but I'll investigate the power consumption first.

I've recently used our bread machine to make rolls with malted multigrain flour - the machine does the mixing, needing, 1st prove so you just take the dough out, roll it a bit and cut into rolls. I gave them an egg glaze, proved for 20 mins then baked. They are fantastic, though I say so myself! Slightly crunchy on the outside with the egg glaze, but light and soft in the middle. Jeff considered that they were better than anything you can buy, and he is not prone to flattery with regard to my cooking skills!

This was all at home, but thinking about getting a machine for the boat. Since the baking is done in an enclosed space and the machine doesn't seem to exude much heat, I don't think it will use that much power even to bake the loaf, but I'll investigate the power consumption first.

We've actually started enjoying making our own from scratch, although I'm not quite as keen as Lynn. I was thinking the same though especially in the summer when the solar panels might be producing more energy than you can store, just start baking bread ;)

It must be tricky finding out how much energy they use as they're on off on off mixing baking. Clearly the baking is going to use the most energy, but these units are well insulated and the oven space is ttiny, so they might not use as much power as many would assume.

Yes I'd be interested in power consumption - my brother suggested getting a bread machine but I quickly dismissed it with not being on shoreline... However, if nothing else, it would be good for the kneading to save me doing it!

I have seen and examined several makes of bread machine over the years, and my opinion is that the Panasonic machine(s)* are undoubtedly the best household models.

If you contact Panasonic UK Linky you'll be able to get the power requirements of their up to date range

Edited by Grace & Favour

Yes I'd be interested in power consumption - my brother suggested getting a bread machine but I quickly dismissed it with not being on shoreline... However, if nothing else, it would be good for the kneading to save me doing it!

We have one on board and it goes on in the morning just before we set off when it uses very little power. The kneading and cooking happens while we are going along so its ready for lunch before we stop.

We have a Panasonic SD 256 which is 2 years old.

According to the manual it draws between 505 and 550 watts.

Is that per cycle ie per loaf of bread from star to finish? I would imaging it used 550 watts for cooking but when mixing it's probably much less.

I honestly can't say that's just how the figure is given, I would say also yes the higher figure is when the heating element is on.

I have seen and examined several makes of bread machine over the years, and my opinion is that the Panasonic machine(s)* are undoubtedly the best household models.

If you contact Panasonic UK Linky you'll be able to get the power requirements of their up to date range

The link to the latest models on the Panasonic web site state the power consumption as Max - 550W.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Kitchen+Appliances/Breadmakers/SD-2500WXC/Specification/7297859/index.html?trackInfo=true

I honestly can't say that's just how the figure is given, I would say also yes the higher figure is when the heating element is on.

And of course it's temperature would be thermostaically conrolled so the elementt would be switching on and off during baking. And what with the oven space being so small and well insulated I think the power consumption would be a lot less than so the 550 watt stated would probably not be on fo long periods during the bake.

Would be interesting to know for sure.

This thread is very good timing. I bought a breadmaker about 12 years ago and proceeded to bake half a dozen breeze blocks so I left it in a cupboard for years then gave it to one of the kids. I dont know what make it was. I have recently had a loaf from a friends panasonic breadmaker and it was fabulous so here I go again. Not wishing to blow well over a hundred quid I bought one and picked it up today from good old ebay. I have appointed Grace and favour as my mentor !! I have bought some vitamin c powder stuff but forgot to put it in so doing it precisely to the panasonic recipe so will see if I get better results this time :cheers:

Tim

This thread is very good timing. I bought a breadmaker about 12 years ago and proceeded to bake half a dozen breeze blocks so I left it in a cupboard for years then gave it to one of the kids. I dont know what make it was. I have recently had a loaf from a friends panasonic breadmaker and it was fabulous so here I go again. Not wishing to blow well over a hundred quid I bought one and picked it up today from good old ebay. I have appointed Grace and favour as my mentor !! I have bought some vitamin c powder stuff but forgot to put it in so doing it precisely to the panasonic recipe so will see if I get better results this time :cheers:

Tim

I think the machines we have, one on the boat and one at home cost about £30-40 A Morphy Richard and a Lidl special.

Tim

Cool, they're pretty full proof usually so I'm sure all will be well, if so, you'll love it and be hooked on baking for life :lol:

Cool, they're pretty full proof usually so I'm sure all will be well, if so, you'll love it and be hooked on baking for life :lol:

Goodo. I did lots of reading online reviews ( sad git ) on all breadmakers and the best did seem to be Panasonic. So good old ebay, they were going secondhand for stupid money so I persevered with my £21.21 bid and yes got one for £21 and picked it up today, in good nick and whirring away on my first attempt as we type !!

Tim

Goodo. I did lots of reading online reviews ( sad git ) on all breadmakers and the best did seem to be Panasonic. So good old ebay, they were going secondhand for stupid money so I persevered with my £21.21 bid and yes got one for £21 and picked it up today, in good nick and whirring away on my first attempt as we type !!

Tim

Nice one, I do like an E-bay bargain :lol:

Had some of Lynn's Soda bread earlier, cooked in the main oven, so quick and easy and utterly delicious.

Bought a Panasonic (new) five years ago, and it has been well used almost on a daily basis. It is beginning to fail in various ways, so looks like time for another new one. Could not fault it until now, so well recommended - so much that we are getting another, same make, although I guess they have gone up a bit.

Just checked, up from £100 to £120, not bad after five years. 9However, after reading this thread, I might have a rootle through fleabay.

Nice one, I do like an E-bay bargain :lol:

Had some of Lynn's Soda bread earlier, cooked in the main oven, so quick and easy and utterly delicious.

If all goes well I could soon be an even bigger FB than I already am :lol:

Tim

Bought a Panasonic (new) five years ago, and it has been well used almost on a daily basis. It is beginning to fail in various ways, so looks like time for another new one. Could not fault it until now, so well recommended - so much that we are getting another, same make, although I guess they have gone up a bit.

Just checked, up from £100 to £120, not bad after five years. 9However, after reading this thread, I might have a rootle through fleabay.

Whats wrong with it, we have had new tins because the bearing fails.

I tried the packet mix of bread today with the added ascorbic acid in.

Here is how it turned out My link

I was really impressed but still want to make my own using my own choice of flour.... I also noticed that a brand of yeast I've got in the cupboard contains the ascorbic acid. Do all instant yeasts have this in?? Or have I just been lucky. So going to try my next loaf with this yeast and see if I get the same texture and lightness

Tim

They are good - ours started over cooking the crust on white loaves on the highest (dark) setting a month or so ago but have since found it seems fine again - possible user error? Flour choice?

They are good - ours started over cooking the crust on white loaves on the highest (dark) setting a month or so ago but have since found it seems fine again - possible user error? Flour choice?

Martin, - Flour is naturally inconsistent - grown in different countries, and with different types, the millers try to blend it to be similar - but they can only try

1-IMG_1699.jpg

What's all this need for breadmakers, eh? I have two hands and they do a great job.

Thanks, Dave, for the Vitamin C and Ginger tips. I add them and the wholemeal/white loaf now produces a beautiful rise as you can see! Everyone's very impressed.

Jo

1-IMG_1699.jpg

What's all this need for breadmakers, eh? I have two hands and they do a great job.

Thanks, Dave, for the Vitamin C and Ginger tips. I add them and the wholemeal/white loaf now produces a beautiful rise as you can see! Everyone's very impressed.

Jo

Its simple, you can bang all the ingrediants in the breadmaker in a couple of minutes then sod off to the pub :D

Tim