Making bread

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Its simple, you can bang all the ingrediants in the breadmaker in a couple of minutes then sod off to the pub :D

Tim

I was making this bread with a cup of coffee at 6.30 a.m. when the sun was rising and the birds were singing their little hearts out and Clare Balding was rambling in Hereford ....

1-IMG_1699.jpg

What's all this need for breadmakers, eh? I have two hands and they do a great job.

Thanks, Dave, for the Vitamin C and Ginger tips. I add them and the wholemeal/white loaf now produces a beautiful rise as you can see! Everyone's very impressed.

Jo

Good point, but we have used one before and it makes a nice loaf. So If we have excess energy in the summer from solar panels, then chucking a mix into the breadmaker seems a good idea, I can then continue to enjoy the weather and not have to use the oven and furtthermore heat the boat up.

A thing about baking bread as well is our gas oven is quite central in the boat, we're also very open plan. On a chilly day baking bread for 45 mins to an hour warms the boat up greatly.

I made some more bread today My link

Was a disaster and not sure why, apart from the fact that because I was trying to make a rye loaf, I used whole wheat and rye flour mix on a 2:1 basis which might have been too much rye.... (About 400g of whole wheat to 250g of rye)

Bit disappointing but ill try again! Either that, or stick to my packet mixes!?

Edited by lewisericeric

I made some more bread today My link

Was a disaster and not sure why, apart from the fact that because I was trying to make a rye loaf, I used whole wheat and rye flour mix on a 2:1 basis which might have been too much rye.... (About 400g of whole wheat to 250g of rye)

Bit disappointing but ill try again! Either that, or stick to my packet mixes!?

Rye bread is FAR more dense than wheat-flour breeds - - (I've even made rye breads using 100% Rye!, or Rye and Spelt)

If you would like to see how dense rye breads can be - - - buy a small pack of Pumpernickel* from your local deli (or Tesco/Waitrose/Sainsbury) *German Rye bread

Quite an education!

So - without (me) having had the chance to 'squeeze your loaf, or masticate a slice, I would suggest that the photograph of your latest 'oven birth' - looks rather handsome - and one that would meet the bar of a rather acceptable Rye Loaf......

We have just had to replace our breadmaker, currently on our fourth as we wear them out through use. We have found over the years that we always have to adjust the recipe to quite a degree from that which is provided in the breadmaker manual.

The problem with flours is that the amount of Gluten in any particular flour varies and this is very relevent to how your loaf turns out.

Phil

We have just had to replace our breadmaker, currently on our fourth as we wear them out through use. We have found over the years that we always have to adjust the recipe to quite a degree from that which is provided in the breadmaker manual.

The problem with flours is that the amount of Gluten in any particular flour varies and this is very relevent to how your loaf turns out.

Phil

We all ways weigh our ingredients

We all ways weigh our ingredients

We too weigh all our ingredients including the water, so much more accurate than trying to line up with the graduations on a glass jug.

Phil

edited for crap spelling (again)

Edited by Phil Ambrose

whilst my bread does everything it should it always seems to have a slight yellow (stale) colour to the inside of the loaf i have used different flours and currently using allinsons stronge white, any suggestions?Bread pic

Looks good to me, maybe you are comparing it with shop stuff that may have whitener in it.

Honey I think I'm right in saying is the only food on the planet that won't go off.

I have heard that too. I kept bees for years and have found that honey which is not taken from the hive too early lasts well but even so it does degrade, often by fermenting. Being a supersaturated solution (until it crystalises) I would have thought that there was insufficient free water for yeasts to multiply. However, the honey is fine to eat even when it has fermented a bit. I am still eating the honey that I have in store from 2007 (We went on a nine month cruise in 2008 and I haven't taken up beekeeping again.

N

We too weigh all our ingredients including the water, so much more accurate than trying to line up with the graduations on a glass jug.

Phil

edited for crap spelling (again)

I have been making all our bread (at home) by hand since the Kenwood Chef gave up the ghost in about 2005. Before that either SWMBO or I had made the bread since 1977 using the Kenwood for kneading.

I weigh the flour and measure the water approximately and use a splash of sunflower oil. Salt is added at the rate of 1 tsp/3lbs flour and sugar added a bit carelessly. I sometimes have to add a bit of water at the first kneading if I can't incorporate all the flour. I don't think that accurate measurement is important in my case. What I do find important is to handle the proven loaves very gently or you knock them back and they turn out heavy. Oh, yes, and I knead once, know back and knead again and then knock back, shape and put in the loaf tins. A good long kneading each time (about 50 - 70 squish and stretches)

N

I have been making all our bread (at home) by hand since the Kenwood Chef gave up the ghost in about 2005. Before that either SWMBO or I had made the bread since 1977 using the Kenwood for kneading.

I weigh the flour and measure the water approximately and use a splash of sunflower oil. Salt is added at the rate of 1 tsp/3lbs flour and sugar added a bit carelessly. I sometimes have to add a bit of water at the first kneading if I can't incorporate all the flour. I don't think that accurate measurement is important in my case. What I do find important is to handle the proven loaves very gently or you knock them back and they turn out heavy. Oh, yes, and I knead once, know back and knead again and then knock back, shape and put in the loaf tins. A good long kneading each time (about 50 - 70 squish and stretches)

N

Lynn's just made a batch of rolls similar to your method, they really are sublime, no supermarket bread for over a month now.

0ltWRwD.jpg

Lynn's just made a batch of rolls similar to your method, they really are sublime, no supermarket bread for over a month now.

Very excellent they look. Yum! I'm off to Caudwell's Mill tomorrow to get next load of flour (strong white, wholemeal) and their Jumbo Oats for porridge. Nothing like going to the source for it. It's the last surviving roller mill or somesuch ... it also happens to be our 'local'! Can I pick any up for anyone?!

Very excellent they look. Yum! I'm off to Caudwell's Mill tomorrow to get next load of flour (strong white, wholemeal) and their Jumbo Oats for porridge. Nothing like going to the source for it. It's the last surviving roller mill or somesuch ... it also happens to be our 'local'! Can I pick any up for anyone?!

Derbyshire's a bit too far for us, sounds great though. We're back to using farm shops as well, why we stopped some years ago I just don't know, we've eaten such good food lately, just about to have some beef stew, local beef and veg, smelling good. mmmmm

Here's today's attempt at a polish sourdough rye bread,

My link

Still not as light as I'd like :(

With Rye Breads the crumb structure depends to a great extent upon what percentage of Rye flour you've used. ( ? )

I've experimented with producing a simple 'poolish' overnight, using just 100gm of Rye and 100gm or very strong white/Canadian flour, and then adding it to a 50/50 Rye/Strong white mix the following morning, - - and it will inevitably make quite a dense crumb.

(I've also used 100%Rye/Spelt to make a Pumpernickel - and that'll be a little more dense than a good quality breeze block!)