Needing help! Which Canal?

Turbuck

Featured Posts

How cold are these boats? I freeze easily...I'm a Florida girl!

Boats with decent heating systems are very cosy. Boats without decent heating systems are not! It's probably quite variable according to which boat, so something well worth checking out with the hirer before committing yourself. Solid fuel stoves are best, but you are unlikely to find those on a hire boat, but plenty have gas or diesel central heating.

Of course, by the time you have worked the boat through a flight of locks, you won't need the heating!

As has been suggested, you can't go wrong with the Llangollen. Next choice perhaps the southern Oxford. To be honest you will enjoy pretty much any canal!

Nicknorman, there are no physical issues. My fiance informed me that the locks are my job...I hope he's kidding!

That does seem to be the right balance!

We were planning to arrive in London on a Thursday, then train to the dock on Saturday, returning to London on Saturday. We're still very flexible with those plans, though.

Maybe we should fly into Manchester. Our only goal at this point is to see something other than London (and the pubs, of course!)

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for your replies!! This is great!

Any suggestions are welcome. October can't come quickly enough...

Wherever you fly into, hire near there or vice versa, some of these locations are quite rural and problematic to get too by public transport. And you really really don't want to know the cost of two hour and a half taxi rides.

We fly into Birmingham and stay our first couple of nights to get over the jetlag at The Heron's Nest on the Grand Union canal at Knowle. Very easy to get to after a 20 hour flight and very comfortable. Lots of options around "Brum" for narrowboating.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent seen anyone speaking up for the Kennet and Avon canal, through Bath with the Cain flight at Devizes if you are up for so many locks in one place.

Very pretty, lots of pubs, Roman/ Victotian Bath is always worth a trip.

Are all the moorings not full up with CM'ers?

I havent seen anyone speaking up for the Kennet and Avon canal, through Bath with the Cain flight at Devizes if you are up for so many locks in one place.

Very pretty, lots of pubs, Roman/ Victotian Bath is always worth a trip.

That Cain flight is murderous! :P

How about the Stratford on Avon Canal?

Some beatiful English countryside.

7 day trip from Alvechurch.

May be able to take in a bit of culture in Stratford...maybe a play at the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company)?

Possible hireboat link:

http://abc.testdotnet.co.uk/Canal-Boat-Routes/stratford-upon-avon-and-return/12.aspx

If you are worried about keeping warm, then While most hire boats will have a central heating system to keep you warm, for an October cruise I would try to hire a boat that also has a solid fuel stove. A few hire companies have some of their boats fitted with stoves including Anglo Welsh and Chas Hardern but check out the particular boat you are thinking of hiring.

If you are using the train from London to get to a boat yard then Countrywide cruisers on the Shropshire union canal could be good http://www.countrywide-cruisers.com They are a twenty minute taxi ride from Wolverhampton train station which is itself just under two hours from London Euston. You would have the choice of cruising the Shropshire Union or Staffordshire and Worcester canal, both of which have narrow locks which are easy to operate. Countrywide operate Sir Ironside which is a two berth boat that has a solid fuel stove. I have no connection with the company but always think that particular boat looks good.

We did the Llangollen as our first boating holiday in the Autumn many years ago. Definately the best time to see it.

Would recommend our friends at Chas Hardern.

And I've got to third that.

First week in October when I did it, and although we never had a heat wave the weather was decent.

Oh and there is more to the Llangollen than the aqueducts

Perhaps it might be a good idea to google a map of the waterways and then look at places on those waterways you might like to visit. Stratford upon Avon and Bath have already been mentioned.

Since you want to visit pubs, may I ask if you have been to UK before? The reason I ask is because our ales are quite unlike beer anywhere else in the world and many overseas visitors are surprised to find that almost all pubs will if asked provide tasters of the ales on offer to aid your choice.

The last time I recall a potential visitor from the American colonies coming on here she became a popular poster and ended up meeting forum members as local guides and hosts on her travels. In my view when visiting any part of the world actually engaging with the locals is the best possible thing, even in Wales. :cheers:

Perhaps it might be a good idea to google a map of the waterways and then look at places on those waterways you might like to visit. Stratford upon Avon and Bath have already been mentioned.

Since you want to visit pubs, may I ask if you have been to UK before? The reason I ask is because our ales are quite unlike beer anywhere else in the world and many overseas visitors are surprised to find that almost all pubs will if asked provide tasters of the ales on offer to aid your choice.

The last time I recall a potential visitor from the American colonies coming on here she became a popular poster and ended up meeting forum members as local guides and hosts on her travels. In my view when visiting any part of the world actually engaging with the locals is the best possible thing, even in Wales. :cheers:

This visitor from the American colonies has been to the UK a couple of times. Hopefully the pubs provide tastes of Whiskey as I prefer that to ales. But, at some point in the evening, even ales will do!

I'm truly looking forward to engaging with the locals!

A couple of resources you may have found, but if not, here they are:

Loads of information here, the map will show you where the suggestions that have been made are.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/index.php

Use this to plan a jounney between points you have identified. Then, at the bottom of the page, hit the "Virtual Cruise" button.

http://www.canalplan.org.uk/index.html

In my opinion the only thing wrong with the Llangollen is that it gets busy in the holiday season, but during October that is in the past. I grew up in Llangollen so have a soft spot for it and as a boy,kayaked the entire length of the LLangollen canal. Try the virtual cruise.

Hope this helps

Graham

I would recommend the South Oxford Canal.Hire from Napton Narrowboats (check with Hoseasons,other hire fleets are available) A one week trip could be Banbury and back,stopping at Cropredy,with good pubs. or cruise up to Braunston, the heart of the canals, (about 1.5 hours from Hire fleet Napton Narrowboats) 4 pubs in Braunston, The Boat house, a large Marstons chain pub with moorings, reliable food and good ale. The Admiral Nelson, on the lock flight, good food and good ale. In the village (5 minute walk from the canal)The Plough, recently taken over, food and ale (haven't tried it yet.) and lastly, The Wheatsheaf, ale but no food, Situated at the far end of the village above the bottom lock. Napton Narrowboats fleet all have double beds with proper sprung mattresses and central heating,the staff give you full instructions on the workings of the boat and how to cruise, will take you on a short trip before you are let loose on your own (when they are sure you're confident to take the boat)they will even help you through the first lock. Nice boats, nice people!

Hi Turbuck,

We've chosen the Leeds Liverpool for our first trip later this year. I think Llangollen will be more difficult to get to via public transport but it it a beautiful part of the UK (as is the Yorkshire Dales) I too love British pubs and often use Fat Badgers to find a nice little hostelry as they are personally researched rather than a purchased database.

I have done the run in to Stratford by canal which is lovely and we also went out onto the river. The only problem with Stratford is if you're not massively into the Shakespeare thing, then it's a nice enough place but full to the brim with tourists and we found it a bit of a strain to get a table in a restaurant.

Get away from the major tourist attractions and the UK has some stunning gems to discover!

:EDIT:

We've been looking at Bear Boating and although well hidden on the website ;) their boats have full central heating including, wooo a heated towel rail in the bathroom so you'd be snug as a bug in a rug! in October

Kind regards

Stu

Edited by Stu Kelly