Free licences for old boats?

Squeezy

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Hope you're all keeping warm in the freeze up.

I wonder if any of you could help me. I have vague memories of hearing/reading that there was a way for the owners of older boats to prise a free or reduced licence out of the BW/CRT bods.

I have a 1958 Thames Launch Works river class former butty (BW). (Now with full cabin and motorised).

Could anyone confirm or dispell this memory for me? Or even better confirm it and tell me im eligible and how to get one!

Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm struggling with the search facility as I only have a smart phone no PC.

Cheers, Squeezy

I saw discounts but not free. I will look for you. I need to know about tenders too.

This mentions it

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/meetings/wusig/Boating_Issues_Meeting_Historic_Discount_Progress_March_2007.pdf

I'll keep looking

Found a form. No idea if it is new

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/732.pdf

Yours may be too young but no harm asking. This is off that form.

The basic structure of the boat should have been built before 1 January 1948 (when most inland waterways were

nationalised). In some circumstances boats built after this date can be considered for the discount.

There are many publications which illustrate or describe most of the older boats still existent. Applicants should provide documentary or photographic evidence of the boat’s age and history. The materials and methods of construction are often indicative of the period of manufacture, e.g. virtually all riveted iron/steel construction occurred before 1948.

Edited by boatymum

Hi Folks,

Hope you're all keeping warm in the freeze up.

I wonder if any of you could help me. I have vague memories of hearing/reading that there was a way for the owners of older boats to prise a free or reduced licence out of the BW/CRT bods.

I have a 1958 Thames Launch Works river class former butty (BW). (Now with full cabin and motorised).

Could anyone confirm or dispell this memory for me? Or even better confirm it and tell me im eligible and how to get one!

Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm struggling with the search facility as I only have a smart phone no PC.

Cheers, Squeezy

Give CRT a call, you need to provide documentary and photographic proof that it is a historic craft, I think there can be some changes but if it has been fully converted and motorised and now looks radically different it may not qualify. The discount is only 10%.worth having a chat though.

Here's a link to the relevant info and application form.

Clicky

You may not qualify because of the age of the boat and the fact that it has been converted but many converted boats have got the discount and I got it for Lucy (unconverted but built 1953).

Of course if your boat belongs to a private club trust and you go to shows and wave at the plebs from afar you may qualify as an "Exhibit Boat" which means they'll give you a free licence.

Edited by carlt

Clicky

You may not qualify because of the age of the boat and the fact that it has been converted but many converted boats have got the discount and I got it for Lucy (unconverted but built 1953).

Of course if your boat belongs to a private club trust and you go to shows and wave at the plebs from afar you may qualify as an "Exhibit Boat" which means they'll give you a free licence.

We still have to pay for a licence for Kennet, though I have suggested that historic boats primarily operated by volunteers and which allow free access on board for the public to displays about canal heritage ought to be free. The licence fee certainly forms a large part of our budget, all of which has to be raised by volunteers and donations. The L&LC Society is always looking for more volunteers, should you feel the need to try your hand at a real boat, though you have to be a member.

We still have to pay for a licence for Kennet, though I have suggested that historic boats primarily operated by volunteers and which allow free access on board for the public to displays about canal heritage ought to be free.

They can be though the only trusts that I know possess one treat it more like a timeshare syndicate and the public are kept very much at arm's length.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/boating-businesses/starting-a-new-boating-business/exhibit-boats

Give CRT a call, you need to provide documentary and photographic proof that it is a historic craft, I think there can be some changes but if it has been fully converted and motorised and now looks radically different it may not qualify. The discount is only 10%.worth having a chat though.

They gave me the 10% discount on REGINALD, a 1884 butty motorised with new counter, cabin etc in 1980 aprox.

MtB

If I were you I'd apply to have the boat included on the National Register of Historic Vessels. The CaRT application form is a bit of a box ticking exercise. I can imagine that if you don't quite fit into the pre-defined categories you might have trouble in getting the boat accepted. On the other hand, the NRHV gives a boat owner much more flexibility in describing the vessel and is used to evaluating historic boats.

Once your boat in on the NRHV, then you can approach CaRT. They would not be likely to refuse you.

When the discount for historic boats was first introduced BW would send out someone with a knowledge of historic craft to see the boat and chat to the owner. I don't think this happens any more.

Another advantage of being on the NRHV is that there are grants available for restoration. I know several owners of historic narrow boats who have qualified for one of these.

I think you have a chance of getting the 10% discount, but it is not guaranteed.

The "has to be built before 1948" thing ought not to be rigorously applied to a genuine ex working boat, so IMO "Rivers" and "Admirals" ought to qualify, and the "In some circumstances boats built after this date can be considered for the discount" clause would hopefully kick-in.

But you also hit the "full length cabin issue", as even a 1920s/1930s boat might be deemed not to comply, although clearly some do get it.

Good luck!

Clicky

What Pluto said.

Trevor W.

Chair, Narrowboat Trust.

What Pluto said.

Trevor W.

Chair, Narrowboat Trust.

I'm aware that many trusts, including the NBT, are keen to get people involved and my criticism wasn't aimed at them.

What surprises me is that those trusts that are always saying "Come and get involved" don't qualify for "Exhibit Boat" status.

I'm aware that many trusts, including the NBT, are keen to get people involved and my criticism wasn't aimed at them.

What surprises me is that those trusts that are always saying "Come and get involved" don't qualify for "Exhibit Boat" status.

Prompted by this topic, we are investigating.

Edited to add:

This is the C&RT definition:

An ‘Exhibit’ boat is one that is owned by or formally on loan to a recognised canal society, museum or visitor centre. Most remain permanently moored at that museum or visitor centre and there is no admission charge that relates specifically to that boat (an admission charge for the whole attraction that includes the boat is permitted). It is not used for any other trading purpose such as the display or sale of gifts or refreshments or trips of any kind, neither may it be used for the personal, private, pleasure use of owners, volunteers or others. Boats used for those purposes must be licensed for those uses. Exhibit boats may navigate to keep them in working order or to travel from one event to another.

So. as we both trade and take pleasure from cruising, that'd be a no then.

Edited by twbm