Egyptian NB

Ray T

Featured Posts

And I think you might win, because I think I've cracked it.

There was always a suspicion that it was a saying, with the Ankh at the beginning, and Catrin's suggestion of Seneb (health) at the end strongly suggested a 3 word epithet.

So, they actually mean;

Life, Prosperity, Health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh_wedja_seneb

I think that could easily be the intent of the set. It doesn't seem fully correct to me but that is the thing with Hieroglyphs there is not one set "alphabet" or meaning to all symbols or indeed writing the same meaning with a single or mutliple symbols.

hieroglyphs developed over many hundreds of years so depending on the era and the region it is from (sort of different dialects) the symbols can be different for the same meaning. So although there are many common themes running throughout they are many different ways to say the same thing. I am certainly not the worlds greatest expert on the subject just an interested amateur.

And I think you might win, because I think I've cracked it.

There was always a suspicion that it was a saying, with the Ankh at the beginning, and Catrin's suggestion of Seneb (health) at the end strongly suggested a 3 word epithet.

So, they actually mean;

Life, Prosperity, Health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh_wedja_seneb

Well done. I said it was 'live long and prosper!'

Now, looking back at the letters I posted yesterday I can see how this works.

Well done. I said it was 'live long and prosper!'

Now, looking back at the letters I posted yesterday I can see how this works.

As soon as we started getting into "live long and prosper" I was convinced this was where we should be looking.

Knowing that the Ankh had the extra "nk" suggested that this would be repeated in the rest of the phrase, which tended towards a three word phrase.

Once you suggested "seneb", the solution was rather TOO simple -

just google Ankh seneb, and Bob is your mother's sister!

Oh we'll done Mr M. I'm inclined to agree with that interpretation. Although I would like to know what the owner thought he'd put - since it may well be slightly different - given the perversity of translating anything especially into hieroglyphics :D

Really? and by what translation did you come to that result? Can you describe the process?

In reply to Churchward. This is what I thought each letter represented, of course it was mostly guess work!

1 Ankh=life

2, Water =N

3 Placenta= H. again Life

4 Quail Chick= W

5 Fire Dril, This is a biliteral the sound is Djah (There are also trilaterals but I discounted that.It does look like a pylon or an obelisk. Explanation a hole was drilled in rock then a fire was lit in the hole and a heavy drill was used to split the rock.)

5 Vulture=A

6 Papyrus scroll tied and sealed.

8 Folded cloth =S

9 Water=N

10 Foot=B

After all that I was still no wiser as Hieroglyphs can be read from left to right and right to left.There are also Determinatives as well as Biliterals so it gets really complicated.

So I gave up and guessed it. I didn't even think of consulting Wikipedia!!!! Woops!!!!

In reply to Churchward. This is what I thought each letter represented, of course it was mostly guess work!

1 Ankh=life

2, Water =N

3 Placenta= H. again Life

4 Quail Chick= W

5 Fire Dril, This is a biliteral the sound is Djah (There are also trilaterals but I discounted that.It does look like a pylon or an obelisk. Explanation a hole was drilled in rock then a fire was lit in the hole and a heavy drill was used to split the rock.)

5 Vulture=A

6 Papyrus scroll tied and sealed.

8 Folded cloth =S

9 Water=N

10 Foot=B

After all that I was still no wiser as Hieroglyphs can be read from left to right and right to left.There are also Determinatives as well as Biliterals so it gets really complicated.

So I gave up and guessed it. I didn't even think of consulting Wikipedia!!!! Woops!!!!

One tip is that the animals or human figures in the group should always look to the direction you read from. On columns they can also be read vertical but I think always downwards. Symbols that are on top of another are always read first.