Volunteer Steerers Required

Featured Posts

I see the towpath telegraph is in fine fettle in spite of the foul weather!

As you CWDFers know, we are updating our fleet. This means we still have several boats to bring over.

I’m looking for volunteers for a day trip (or overnight if you wish) with a number of boats on the 2nd January 13.

Unfortunately the boats will be winterised so you will have to bring anything you want to use with you e.g. packed lunch or money to eat out. Same for overnight, you need everything to stay onboard and I’m pretty sure there’ll be no heating. You can bring anyone you wish with you but we need to arrange this in advance.

All volunteers should apply to

greg@middlewichboats.co.uk

Thanks to CWDF once again.

Chuggy

I see thew towpath telegraph is in fine fettle in spite of the foul weather!

As you CWDFers know, we are updating our fleet. This means we still have several boats to bring over.

I’m looking for volunteers for a day trip (or overnight if you wish) with a number of boats on the 2nd January 13.

Unfortunately the boats will be winterised so you will have to bring anything you want to use with you e.g. packed lunch or money to eat out. Same for overnight, you need everything to stay onboard and I’m pretty sure there’ll be no heating. You can bring anyone you wish with you but we need to arrange this in advance.

All volunteers should apply to

greg@middlewichboats.co.uk

Thanks to CWDF once again.

Chuggy

Where are the boats going to/from?

Hmm --- let me think about this. I'm taking a boat to Middlewich from I don't know where, in the middle of winter, with no water, bog or heating & then I've got to get back to my car. I might just have a prior engagement.

Pretty much my thoughts! At least if I knew where from and how far . . .

Hmm --- let me think about this. I'm taking a boat to Middlewich from I don't know where, in the middle of winter, with no water, bog or heating & then I've got to get back to my car. I might just have a prior engagement.

I'd would of jumped at the chance to play with a boat for free if I wasn't working :(

even in the middle of winter with no water heating bog etc.

Edited by Dyad

I imagine given that it's a day trip, you'll be no more than 25 miles from Middlewich and that they probably have the 30 min run back to your car covered.

Would love to assist but already committed to refurb in our bar. Later this week or over the weekend any good? Or 7th 8th?

Meanhile - if cruising on boats without central heating, microwave, TV or full washing / cooking facilities appeals, NBT have the boats for you .....

I agree with Dyad, a trip out on a boat is fine whatever the conditions as long as it floats! Though we now have our own boat, experience of others is never a bad thing. I wish "Chuggy" well in his venture, he certainly seems set on turning around the fortunes of this company by investing in the fleet which in these times is only a good thing!

Edited by little duck!

well - that was an interesting day!

a bright early sart, then a lot of standing around while paperwork etc ( :blink: ) was sorted out! 8 boats to move, and one boat every half hour was as good as it got! Headed off into the rain for a 6 hour cruise - at 1.30pm! (hmmm - what time does it get dark again?)

Oh yes - 5.00 and yes, it was dark - and the electrics had been switched off somehow and I needed one of the other boats to show me how to get them all working again! :blush:

Lights on and 4 miles to go! A mini convoy, and all was well!

At the end of the day, all the boats got to Middlewich - apart from the bosses. He moored his and made sure everyone else was OK! It was going to move the last 6 miles this morning!

I have discovered I like cruising in the cold and the dark, but better lighting would be good.

Best of luck with the new fleet Chuggy!

well - that was an interesting day!

a bright early sart, then a lot of standing around while paperwork etc ( :blink: ) was sorted out! 8 boats to move, and one boat every half hour was as good as it got! Headed off into the rain for a 6 hour cruise - at 1.30pm! (hmmm - what time does it get dark again?)

Oh yes - 5.00 and yes, it was dark - and the electrics had been switched off somehow and I needed one of the other boats to show me how to get them all working again! :blush:

Lights on and 4 miles to go! A mini convoy, and all was well!

At the end of the day, all the boats got to Middlewich - apart from the bosses. He moored his and made sure everyone else was OK! It was going to move the last 6 miles this morning!

I have discovered I like cruising in the cold and the dark, but better lighting would be good.

Best of luck with the new fleet Chuggy!

Where did you start from Steve?

Pictures at facebook and New Boats 1 montage

A huge thank you to all for the sterling efforts in the boat move.

The day began reasonably with good weather, not at all cold.

Everyone arrived for the collection but the boatyard was not too happy and they kept us all waiting for some time with only one boat ready after 3 hours we had to do a good deal of encouraging and we all got stuck in to help them out with preparing the boats. By now though, the weather has turned and we were all soon soggy. An hour later, all 8 boats started get moving.

This left us short of time with five hours to motor and four locks, but as the light faded away with some top teamwork at the locks, all of the crews make it back to base and the flotilla settles into their new home.

Thank you all so much for your help you were all brilliant.

Thanks to:-

Paul and Cathy

Peter and Elaine

Stephen and Fizz

Lynsey and his two crew

Paul and Nick

Richard and Mark

Liam and Derek

With the back up crew of Michael & Sue on Logistics.

Once again thanks a million to all our CWDF and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Middlewichboats)friends for their support on the day!

Chuggy

• Greenie 1

Dont like to say.... but you guys know just about everything thats going on yes?

Haha of course we do. Wot boats you got from Norbury then? That's some fleet you have now how many boats will you have? Are you still keeping the current fleet you have or you getting rid of any!?? Come on spill the beans?

Got to say Chuggy when i walked along the towpath through Middlewich today you had blocked the whole of the canal. where you planning on mooring all theses boats ?

mobile uploads JAN 13 043

mobile uploads JAN 13 044

mobile uploads JAN 13 045

Thanks Dave,

A little mischievous don’t you think? Especially on your blog. You’re making me out to be a nuisance to other boaters.

You must have seen my sons and me re-arranging the boats. I only had two or so at any one time to move out of the main channel.

For your peace of mind, no boats were delayed all day as we shuffled them around.

Nice of you to drop by though, next time why not come n say hello, i'll get you a cuppa and we can natter about what were both up to. Hope your boat re-launch goes well this year

Chuggy

• 2 weeks later...