Open plan boats

Simple Things

Featured Posts

I plan to live on my 38ft nb this coming april. Just me and my dog. Eventually have a cratch dining room and pram hood.... I know i know but my dog loves getting mucky and with all the rain i can see that being a big part of the future life.... Anyhow i'm wandering.... So the plan for the boat is to be as open plan as possible, possibly with removable partitions, blinds etc for warmth or added privacy.... The open plan i feel will give the idea of more space.... I have a plan of my boat and obviously have scoured the net for ideas but if anyone has any pics or pros vs cons would like to hear them.

Aft a new hull, steel work on bow and stern inc making the traditional into a cruiser... The time is coming for the interior. I'm going for white minimal look with wood basically to keep it bright, easy to clean, and again to improve a sense of space.

Ive had three vw campervans so i have some idea of 'living' in confined spaces.... For the short term at least!

If you place a huge mirror at one end of any boat it'll make it look much longer. Trouble is you'll keep walking slap bang into it and probably gain a busted hooter for your trouble. :closedeyes:

Turning the Bizzard factor down a little, Tawny Owl has several mirrors, and although very not-open plan is quite light and airy. I think the mirrors help a lot

Richard

More details here:

http://narrowboatforsale.weebly.com/

no connection etc...

Yes it's nicely done but £42,000!!! That's more than £1000 per foot. Remember this is an old boat which has been tarted up and may well need plenty of ongoing repairs. There's no mention of the mechanicals on their site. Definitely not well set up for cruising - although straight off the back deck into the bathroom might be handy for a speedy pee!

Yes it's nicely done but £42,000!!! That's more than £1000 per foot. Remember this is an old boat which has been tarted up and may well need plenty of ongoing repairs. There's no mention of the mechanicals on their site. Definitely not well set up for cruising - although straight off the back deck into the bathroom might be handy for a speedy pee!

What do you mean with the no mention of the mechanicals, as I think they'll tell you quite a lot already :

A brand new Barrus Shanks engine was fitted in 2010.

The entire hull was overplated in 2009 and has been re-blacked yearly since, the most recent blacking taking place in June this year (2012)

The exterior was taken back to the bare steel in 2009 and completely repainted using hard-wearing and professional narrowboat paints in grey, black and red.

Peter.

Mechanical paint?

It doesn't say exactly which engine it is. No mention of batteries( although it worryingly mentions a 'area for batteries' as if there aren't any), charger, tank sizes, calorifier, immersion heater, 240v system, toilet type etc.

It does look nice but it's clearly the work of designers who put certain practicalities low down the list.

I've said before, I'd always want at least 2 ways of; charging batteries, heating the interior and heating the water. Assuming there is a calorifier, this boats scores 1 out of 3 for me. On that basis, I'd pass on this boat.

I'm sure there's a buyer out there who will love it though.

Mechanical paint?

It doesn't say exactly which engine it is. No mention of batteries( although it worryingly mentions a 'area for batteries' as if there aren't any), charger, tank sizes, calorifier, immersion heater, 240v system, toilet type etc.

It does look nice but it's clearly the work of designers who put certain practicalities low down the list.

I've said before, I'd always want at least 2 ways of; charging batteries, heating the interior and heating the water. Assuming there is a calorifier, this boats scores 1 out of 3 for me. On that basis, I'd pass on this boat.

I'm sure there's a buyer out there who will love it though.

As you say : "I'd pass on this boat" it's no problem for you, and I suppose that anyone that wants to know more about this boat, before they break (or use) their bank account, could email the owners with all the unanswered questions they have, before they decide to visit for further investigation.

I'm not interested in buying her (haven't got the money anyway), but I quite like what they've done to her, and think that given her small size, she gives a fairly spacious impression.

Peter.

Wll didnt mean to open up a dialogue critical about Archie... Ys there are some good ideas on that boat and the linky.... Some fabulous stuff on that again at a huge cost but for ideas yes.... And mirrors yea hadnt really thought of them as i try and avoid them for myself!

I did think for any partitions i would use plastic glass blocks for space and light perhaps... Although not so cheap either could be a result.... Apart from that blinds as opposed to curtains... Ipad as opposed to tv laptop music etc...... A fold down bed would save me a tonne of space but difficult to do with the position of the windows etc... Wol thanks for the replies so far!

Also to give an impression of length and you have a Tongue n groove ceiling why not paint the boards in alternate colours, gentle pastel tones of the same colour ''duo-tone'' are very pleasant. I've done my galley ceiling like this, very pale pastel green and pale light tobacco tones alternating. Or strong gaudy colours if that's your thing.

Like it. Not gaudy colours gonna be light inside but very much like the idea there thank you.

Richard RLWP of this forum has been on my boat and may have noticed the ceiling, if so and spots these posts he may express his opinion of it.

Pale tones of the same colour usually work best.

My boat is pretty open which I like for the feeling of space, although I think that comes from the amount of light and the pale wood as much as anything else. The bit that isnt open with the rest of the boat is the bedroom right at the front. I prefer this for two reasons: 1. I like to sleep in a cooler temperature so it helps to be seperated from the stove area which gets too hot. 2. My duvet doesn't end up smelling of fry-up!

If I had a smaller boat, I'd probably have to bite the bullet and go for fully open-plan with a make up sofa-bed. A friend used to have a reverse layout cruiser stern boat which was around 30-35ft and had a fixed double in the bow but didn't really have any sort of living area. From stern to bow it was: kitchen, 'chair', bathroom, bedroom. Wouldn't have worked for me at all.

• Greenie 1