Egg bridge Waverton

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: but concerning signs.

The boat yard at Weedon Beck used to have a very large sign up saying something like "This is a working boatyard. It can be busy and noisy. If you dont like the view or the noise dont buy a house oposite! " It was there for many years, however I suspect they have been asked to remove it. Shame.

DSC01875reduced_zps34e2840e.jpg

It looks like an official sign, is it? How on earth can they enforce it? And HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MISS IT BEFORE WINDING!!!!

I didnt miss it before winding....I didnt see it until I had turned in to wind because it isnt visible before turning in and I wasnt looking for it having winded at the location for as long as I can remember.

I was left with a decision to back out facing the way I wanted to go or to back out facing the way I didnt want to go.

Either way I was backing out. so I chose to turn around.

You are missing the point here.

This location has been used for winding for as long as I can remember, I believe i first used it in 1987.

I dont know if he sign/ restriction is official or not. I await an answer from the CRT re this point.

If its not official i will simply ignore.

If it is official I have asked the CRT to clarify the rationale behind the restriction.

Mike

P.s. theres no need to shout.

Edited by MIke Rimmer

If it is official I have asked the CRT to clarify the rationale behind the restriction.

As many people seem to be unable to wind without crashing into the end of the winding hole, I suspect this is to do with preventing damage to the edge, which is presumably private property.

Exactly next time I come out of the marina for a short cruise next Sat now depending on the ice iam going to cruise up past the 2 miles thought shanty town " golden knook " & wind at egg bridge then ill more up & run the engine & may even get the generator out to add salt to the womb!!!

What makes me think that you wrote this post on a device with predictive text1?

rolleyes.gif

N

PS Wouldn't the above action just stir up more ire in and already angry world?

we moored there just before the bridge last August. There was a sign saying reserved for BW boats (obviously hadn't changed the sign then) but we moored a litle further back, opposite the new flats. As we were on the towpath side we were within our rights. No problems but someones comments about the local duckpond ring true. Someone came out of ther flats and emptied their cereal packet into the canal and whereas that doesn't bother me the ducks are obviously used to the regular feeding spot - this is the noisiest place we have stayed we were rudely awakened by a large group (sorry i cant remember the collective word for ducks is it flock or is that geese?) of ducks early the next morning eagerly waiting their next feed!

My band used to play at the Waverton carnival, and I used to moor up opposite the houses just befoer the bridge. It was then (and probaby isnow) the only bit of canal deep enough to get close enough to thebank to moor apart from the designated BW/disabled boat morring the other side of the bridge. There was nowhere else in Waverton dredged enough to get a boat in and it was he last decent shopping point for a while. At the time, everyone seemed friendly enough, but they certainly fed the ducks.

As I understand it, it is/was a private wharf and not an official winding hole, and as such is effectively "private water".

That is something I have never understood. How can there be "private water" on the canal?. Does that mean that if you are the "owner" of the private water you can moor there without a licence or any mooring charges from CaRT? Try that in most marinas.

That is something I have never understood. How can there be "private water" on the canal?. Does that mean that if you are the "owner" of the private water you can moor there without a licence or any mooring charges from CaRT? Try that in most marinas.

Private water means water that is in or on private property as opposed to that owned by the navigation authority.

The winding hole at the top of Tyrley Locks has (or had) a sign saying something like "Winding by permission of the owner". AIUI it is because this was a private area, and the notice was to prevent it becoming a right to use it.

Similarly I am sure marinas can prevent you using their entrance to turn in as it is their property.

I am surprised that the owners of Egg Bridge don't put a chain across to stop boats turning as I am sure they do not want their wooden staging and edging damaged. I've never seen a boat moored up in there.

Private water means water that is in or on private property as opposed to that owned by the navigation authority.

I am surprised that the owners of Egg Bridge don't put a chain across to stop boats turning as I am sure they do not want their wooden staging and edging damaged. I've never seen a boat moored up in there.

If you take a look at the area you will see that the staging that has been built outside the appartments all appears to be outside the boundaries of the

properties.

This extension into the canal, which is by no means uncommon, makes me wonder if the staging is supposed to be there. If thats the case then they woud not have any

right to enclose the area. I guess it all depends on what the CRT say if and when they get back to me.

The only boat I have ever seen moored there was the red kayak that can be seen in the pictures.

Mike

So they could moor there without fees or licence, and if it ever sprang a leak it would be their responsibility.

Similarly I am sure marinas can prevent you using their entrance to turn in as it is their property.

They do, but if you try mooring there you have to have a licence because you are on CaRT water. And there is money paid to CaRT from the mooring fees.

All seems a little contradictory to me. Ah well, that's boating. :wacko:

This was never a winding hole but the mooring basin for "Holidaymakers (Cheshire)" Waverton Mill,Eggbridge Lane Waverton.The other side of the bridge was "Eggbridge Marine", they also had GRP hire boats and a slipway.Anyone remember them..?

Hi there, yes l remember them well as l own one (cambrian) still going strong after all these years. there was lots of them about years ago but l have not seen any of them about, do you or any of the other members know of any what are still afoat .. :cheers:

My last boat was an Eggbridge boat. Loved dearly, only sold as she was only 30ft and we planned to live aboard :captain: She is a steel narrowboat, not GRP, quite flimsy (5/3/3 original plates) but well built so still going strong. She was built 1980. Currently up for sale again over in Ellesmere.

Neil

Edited by snigsnig

My last boat was an Eggbridge boat. Loved dearly, only sold as she was only 30ft and we planned to live aboard :captain: She is a steel narrowboat, not GRP, quite flimsy (5/3/3 original plates) but well built so still going strong. She was built 1980. Currently up for sale again over in Ellesmere.

Neil

Hi Neil, l can remember them too, but my boat was the GRP hire boats , think they were the first hire boats to be hired there, think she is about 50 years old. will try and put a photo on here. :banghead: can't see to find where to upload a photo..

Edited by sammy60

Woh! 50 years is seriously good going! Would be great to see a pic.:

N

Hi, yes and the old volvo penta MD1 is still going strong and never as let me down and uses next to none fuel ..

just can't seem to put a photo on here ? :help:

Edited by sammy60

I got this reply from the CRT this week.

Dear Mike

Thank you for your Email regarding the winding hole at Egg Bridge.

In answer to your questions regarding the ‘No winding’ signage by Egg Bridge, Waverton I can confirm that it was erected by Canal River Trust. The following will, I hope, explain the rationale behind the erection of this signage

• On receipt of a complaint regarding damage by winding boaters to the patio areas which were overhanging the water space form Waverton Mill, we investigated the ownership of the water space in this location and discovered that the Canal & River Trust registered boundary does not encompass the whole of this water space, in fact it runs diagonally from corner to corner.

• The current waterway team were unaware of this boundary and are investigating further to establish the chain of events that have led to this registration. This is taking longer than anticipated.

• However based on the information which we currently hold, the water space does appear to be not in our ownership.

• Based on this we have installed signage to advise boaters that the water space is not a winding hole.

• However we will continue our investigations and if the ownership is eventually proved not to be Canal and River Trust we will look into a longer term solution to provide adequate protection for the Waverton Mill property and still allow adequate water space to be used for boats to wind.

• We do know that all the publications, including ours, identify the water space as a winding hole, but until we are absolutely confident of the ownership we will not notify the publishers.

Regards

Joe Murphy

Principal Waterway Engineer, Prif Beiriannydd Dyfrffyrdd

Interesting !!

Mike

Hmmmm...

I thought the official C&RT stickers were all black & white?

I must admit I wondered about 3 scenarios

It's an unofficial sticker stuck by a non official

It's an official sticker stuck by a non official

and finally

It's an official sticker stuck officially

Anybody want to start a book on it.

I got this reply from the CRT this week.

Dear Mike

Thank you for your Email regarding the winding hole at Egg Bridge.

In answer to your questions regarding the ‘No winding’ signage by Egg Bridge, Waverton I can confirm that it was erected by Canal River Trust. The following will, I hope, explain the rationale behind the erection of this signage

• On receipt of a complaint regarding damage by winding boaters to the patio areas which were overhanging the water space form Waverton Mill, we investigated the ownership of the water space in this location and discovered that the Canal & River Trust registered boundary does not encompass the whole of this water space, in fact it runs diagonally from corner to corner.

• The current waterway team were unaware of this boundary and are investigating further to establish the chain of events that have led to this registration. This is taking longer than anticipated.

• However based on the information which we currently hold, the water space does appear to be not in our ownership.

• Based on this we have installed signage to advise boaters that the water space is not a winding hole.

• However we will continue our investigations and if the ownership is eventually proved not to be Canal and River Trust we will look into a longer term solution to provide adequate protection for the Waverton Mill property and still allow adequate water space to be used for boats to wind.

• We do know that all the publications, including ours, identify the water space as a winding hole, but until we are absolutely confident of the ownership we will not notify the publishers.

Regards

Joe Murphy

Principal Waterway Engineer, Prif Beiriannydd Dyfrffyrdd

Interesting !!

Mike

Given the above, its 99% sure that the bit you'd stick the nose into on a normal sized narrowboat, is indeed private waters.

HOWEVER with no demarkation of where 'the line' is, you'd never know. And the sign isn't really telling the real picture, it just assumes that you'd need that bit of water to wind in (for example, what if your boat was 12 feet long, and you could turn anywhere in the canal? Would you not be allowed to turn specifically there???), and assumes you'd not do something else (like moor onto it, or simply enter that bit anyway). But in fairness, they'd need a bigger sign to more fully explain things.

I'd guess that without the actual borderline between the canal and the private water marked or indicated in any way, its pretty much unenforceable. If you did hit and damage the fencing, then you'd be liable but then that's true for the offside anywhere really...