Can I power a laptop with a car's USB socket?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Thanks. Indeed it's been a couple of years of low paid and often filthy work in the boatyard to keep myself going while finishing my PhD and looking for proper jobs.

The good news is that I had a phone call earlier today telling me I've been offered the job in Gloucestershire! Would I be insane to eventually envisage finding a liveaboard mooring on the Avon? There must be some safe moorings?

Cracking news Mike, well done.

Thanks. Indeed it's been a couple of years of low paid and often filthy work in the boatyard to keep myself going while finishing my PhD and looking for proper jobs.

The good news is that I had a phone call earlier today telling me I've been offered the job in Gloucestershire! Would I be insane to eventually envisage finding a liveaboard mooring on the Avon? There must be some safe moorings?

Well done :cheers:

I've been offered the job in Gloucestershire! Would I be insane to eventually envisage finding a liveaboard mooring on the Avon? There must be some safe moorings?

Congratulations.

Do not forget about the Severn or Gloucester Sharpness canal.

There's plenty of liveaboard moorings on the Avon (as safe as that river can ever be) however the commute up into Gloucestershire is pretty bloody so I think you should be looking to the Gloucester and Sharpness canal.

There's plenty of liveaboard moorings on the Avon (as safe as that river can ever be) however the commute up into Gloucestershire is pretty bloody so I think you should be looking to the Gloucester and Sharpness canal.

Didn't look that good down the Avon last week but surly that or the G&S would be a K&A Bristol Channel job to get there.

I realise this thread has run it's course but Blackrose's original question was "Can I power a laptop with a car's USB socket?"

The nearest anyone came to giving clear guidence was Alan Fincher who said "No!". That is the correct answer to the question asked.

In the bigger scheme of things, other comments skirted (and in some cases amost touched a central tenet of) modern electronics.

All computers are DC devices, using internal components which only deal with a DC environment.

The plug, lead and transformer are merely [extremely in-efficient] ways of getting DCV in to the machine while making loads of Wonga for Toshiba?

That's why there is a warning on yours saying "Caution. This gets hot". Just put your hand on YOURS and tell me it is not at least warm?

Transformers supply 15vdc to 19vdc to the computer depending on make and model, but from an AC input which can range from 100VAC to 240VAC 50-60hz.

Inside computer is a DC+ rail running nominal VDC which is writ on the machine, typically 15 to 20 but can run +/- 25% in total safety.

Many if not most if not ALL electronic components inside work in the range 3vdc to maybe 9vdc and are quite sensitive to their OWN supply voltage.

So each component links across the supply rail to 'earth' (0VDC) through various "istors" and shunts and gizmos you don't want to know about.

It's kinda like a symphony orchestra in there. You don't need to know what the conductor knows. Just trust him.

Pentargon currently has USB ports wired directly into the onboard 12VDC lines so I can charge my Samsung Galaxies and GPSs etc.

I bought some Maplin car plug-ins, smashed the casings with a hammer and extracted the bits I needed to give me USB capability.

Combination of rocket science and knowing how to get the meat out of a crab.

In the Spring I will be converting Pentargon to 24VDC so that I can tap into the boats system to run, inter alia, a computer.

Pentargon does not have ANY VAC on board (smart-arses will say there's VAC inside your alternator. There is but that's it.)

The fridge already has 12/24vdc switchover capability. Some new LED lights are going in because 24VDC gives better light.

I'm keeping some of the flourescents but putting them in series pairs rather than parallel to avail of Ohms Laws and save wads of wonga.

I know how to handle any and all electric situations using circuitry or step-downs using GCSE type physics.

Basically Pentargon will have a 24VDC rail and anything that needs stepping down will be stepped as needed.

The complete wiring of the boat at a stroke will have its in use amperage halved. That Ohm guy was the Maaaaan.

Any 'challenges' will be sorted in a lorry or bus breakers for small wonga.

Sorry I won't be able to do your boats. I retired fifteen years ago.

PS: some day ALL dwellings and vehicles will be wired like this.

Hi, I'm going for a job interview tomorrow and I've got to do a presentation.

I wouldn't mind practicing it once more just before the interview and the hire car I've got has a USB socket.

Can I directly power my laptop from the car's USB socket (using just a USB cable), or would it need some sort of regulation?

Wow! Cars have USB sockets these days! I thought I was posh having a fag lighter socket to plug into.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yello Blackrose,

Would you PLEASE contact me if you're leaving a job in the boat yard !!!!! or if you're thinking of leaving your mooring ? I tried to befriend you on this site ... but without success. :unsure: email malc_hudson at y*hoo.co.uk

Many congrats on the job offer buddy .....

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello Blackrose,

Would you PLEASE contact me if you're leaving a job in the boat yard !!!!! or if you're thinking of leaving your mooring ? I tried to befriend you on this site ... but without success. :unsure: email malc_hudson at y*hoo.co.uk

Many congrats on the job offer buddy .....

Malc. B)

Befriend me? I didn't realise. I sometimes get "befriend" messages on this site from people I've never even talked to, so I just ignore all of them. If someone actually wants to contact me I find generic messages rather ambiguous.

Anyway, if you want a job at French Bros just go and ask them - I'm off in a couple of weeks. Pay is low and conditions are crap, but if that's what you need to do... As for the mooring, I'll have the boat here until spring, but I've got your email address and I'll contact you if/when I eventually leave.

Cheers

Mike