Bald Explorer - Shrewsbury and Newport Canal

grahoom

Featured Posts

Stumbled across this

http://baldexplorer.com/2012/an-abandoned-canal-preview-video/

I have put together a quick edit from some of the material shot last week for the next Bald Explorer episode. I am calling it An Abandoned Canal as it traces the history of the Shrewsbury to Newport Canal. The film will tell a brief story of English canals and why they were left unused for many years in the mid part of the 20th century. I am also interested in the restoration project that is happening to this unique navigation by the Shrewsbury and Newport Canal Trust.

As a moorer on the Shrewsbury and Newport Canal (ie down the arm at Norbury!) Im looking forward to main article in January. Might have a wander a see what I can see tomorrow :)

Hi Tiggers, Thanks for looking at my site and my video preview. As you will see I am making a documentary for the Community Channel (supported by Media Trust - a charity station) about the Shrewsbury and Newport Canal and the restoration project. I aim to be filming at Norbury Junction in a couple of weeks. I have meet Simon Jenkins at the wharf who has given me permission to film.

I know this a little cheeky, but I am eager to film some boats travelling along the Shropshire Union as part of the video and wondered if I were to pay your diesel whether you might be interested in allowing me to film your boat in action, and/or get some shots from it?

If not, and I totally understand, would you know anyone that might be?

I am aiming to take a day boat out so I can film some pieces of me presenting a couple of bits of script to the camera at the tiller and going through a lock.

Many thanks

Richard

Ha! I used to know Richard really well - he is a great entertainer and brilliant juggler. Nice to see what he is up to now.

Hi Water Rat, hope you are well? Do you have a boat now? As you can see I am trying to make a name for myself in the TV world on the Community Channel - no money in it but hoping to get seen as a potential film maker and presenter.

I have just replied to Tigger, above your post on the thread to ask if it might be possible to film her boat in action. If I were to pay your diesel would you be interested in allowing me to film your boat in action, and/or get some shots from it? I was aiming to take a day boat out so I can film some pieces of me presenting a couple of bits of script to the camera at the tiller and going through a lock. Could you help?

It would be great to see you again.

Best wishes

Richard

www.BaldExplorer.com

Hi Richard, I would be more than happy to let you do a bit of filming of my boat, when abouts are you back? My boat is the big old wooden top down the arm, better clean the brasses before you arrive though! She would actually be quite good to get some shots from as she has a 15' tug deck that you can fit about 20 people on.

It is a cracking website, I watched Episode 2 last night and it has encouraged me to go have a nosey around Shrewsbury, certainly looking forward to the next installment.

Dont worry about paying my diesel, I have an old 1950's Lister JP2 that appears to run on air!

Tiggers

Hi Water Rat, hope you are well? Do you have a boat now? As you can see I am trying to make a name for myself in the TV world on the Community Channel - no money in it but hoping to get seen as a potential film maker and presenter.

I have just replied to Tigger, above your post on the thread to ask if it might be possible to film her boat in action. If I were to pay your diesel would you be interested in allowing me to film your boat in action, and/or get some shots from it? I was aiming to take a day boat out so I can film some pieces of me presenting a couple of bits of script to the camera at the tiller and going through a lock. Could you help?

It would be great to see you again.

Best wishes

Richard

www.BaldExplorer.com

Hey Richard - great to hear from you - I have sent you a message via Face book - of course you would be most welcome on the boat - any chance to have a pootleand we boaters grab it!

Edited by Water Rat.

Hi Richard, I would be more than happy to let you do a bit of filming of my boat, when abouts are you back? My boat is the big old wooden top down the arm, better clean the brasses before you arrive though! She would actually be quite good to get some shots from as she has a 15' tug deck that you can fit about 20 people on.

It is a cracking website, I watched Episode 2 last night and it has encouraged me to go have a nosey around Shrewsbury, certainly looking forward to the next installment.

Dont worry about paying my diesel, I have an old 1950's Lister JP2 that appears to run on air!

Tiggers

Hi Tiggers

Sorry for the delay replying, been away this weekend. That sounds super. Thanks so much for your offer. I am aiming to be up from Sunday 25th to Thursday 29th. Hoping to be at Norbury Junction to film an interview and then off to shoot so of the abandoned canal. Do you have a phone number or email address I can contact you on? My email is richard@vobes.com.

Thanks so much. Glad you liked the Shrewsbury episode. :)

Best wishes

Richard

• 2 months later...

Richard

Do you know when the Shrewsury and Newport canal film will be on the television.

Carl

Hi Carl

The Bald Explorer episode where I am exploring the old Shrewsbury and Newport canal should be on the Community Channel either at the end of Feb or March. However here is a preview of it:

Best wishes

Richard

Very good video. Slightly less coverage of the actual route than I would have liked, and trying to make an overgrown route visually recognisable still hasn't been cracked. And too much repetition of canals were made for carrying goods. Yes, we know that, please don't tell me again. But better than some recent stuff on the box.

Very good video. Slightly less coverage of the actual route than I would have liked, and trying to make an overgrown route visually recognisable still hasn't been cracked. And too much repetition of canals were made for carrying goods. Yes, we know that, please don't tell me again. But better than some recent stuff on the box.

Thanks very much. I agree with the too much 'carrying stuff bit' - but I felt I had to remind many newcomers of the purpose. Unfortunately, TV cannot be too niche.

Silly boy. Canals were made for people to catch fish in. Ask an angler, he'll tell you.

But seriously, just watched most of your programme (about 40 minutes' worth) and thoroughly liked it; it is a canal about which I knew very little, I have now learnt more in a very enjoyable manner. The discovery of that guillotine lock frame was the best moment - almost akin to finding a dinosaur.

Silly boy. Canals were made for people to catch fish in. Ask an angler, he'll tell you.

But seriously, just watched most of your programme (about 40 minutes' worth) and thoroughly liked it; it is a canal about which I knew very little, I have now learnt more in a very enjoyable manner. The discovery of that guillotine lock frame was the best moment - almost akin to finding a dinosaur.

Thank you - very kind. I was amazed with a housing estate very close by that it was still intact!

Thank you - very kind. I was amazed with a housing estate very close by that it was still intact!

Psst - dont tell anyone but its a reconstruction from the 1980's. The only original one is a few hundred up the Trench Arm from Wappenshall. But never let facts get in the way of a good story - at least that's what I say!

Psst - dont tell anyone but its a reconstruction from the 1980's. The only original one is a few hundred up the Trench Arm from Wappenshall. But never let facts get in the way of a good story - at least that's what I say!

I hope it didn't mar your enjoyment of the rest of the film.

I hope it didn't mar your enjoyment of the rest of the film.

Richard - It was a lovely film, all the more impressive as it is made with such limited resources. I really like your delivery style and sheer passion / enthusiasm.

I am not sure that the depth of my research into the tub boats was entirely healthy but recent months have found me splashing through the abandoned ditches of the lost sections of the BCN. I never learn... Whats next?

Richard - It was a lovely film, all the more impressive as it is made with such limited resources. I really like your delivery style and sheer passion / enthusiasm.

I am not sure that the depth of my research into the tub boats was entirely healthy but recent months have found me splashing through the abandoned ditches of the lost sections of the BCN. I never learn... Whats next?

So glad you liked it. What made the production for me was talking with Mal Edwards, the old lengthsman. Next, I am onto crumbling churches and whether we should save them or not.

So glad you liked it. What made the production for me was talking with Mal Edwards, the old lengthsman. Next, I am onto crumbling churches and whether we should save them or not.

A cautious yes. But the problem is "who pays"? The monasteries were destroyed and what a loss to the nation - lose the crumbly churches with real architectural value and we wont get them back again. I would rather see them put to alternate uses than torn down.

Hi Richard, I just watched the smugglers episode and like the narrowboat one really enjoyed it, you're a great presenter. :cheers:

I have Hawkhurst Gang members in my family tree, so I was hoping they'd crop up.

Thanks very much - how exciting to have smugglers in your family tree! Is there much smuggling in the canal world? :)

Thanks for watching. I have so much positive feed back.

Richard

A cautious yes. But the problem is "who pays"? The monasteries were destroyed and what a loss to the nation - lose the crumbly churches with real architectural value and we wont get them back again. I would rather see them put to alternate uses than torn down.

Funnily enough - this exactly what I mention in the script. The monasteries and alternative uses. We are too quick to destroy our history in this modern world. Sadly what we seem to build today doesn't last very long. Sorry, maybe that should be luckily, it doesn't!

Richard

Just watched An Abandoned Canal on youtube and thought it was excellant, informative and a real credit to you Richard. Your stile of presentation is both captivating and entertaining, I too really enjoyed the interview with Mal Edwards, the old lengthsman, bet he had a story or two that you couldn't show on the film?

Keep up the good work.

David