Who painted this can?

oldironsides

Featured Posts

Well, £185, who would have thought it!!!

For me it was poorly painted but someone obviously knew better. I hope they enjoy it.

What do you expect? Its Ebay after all.

I once got as far as bidding £60 for a Lister Engines history book for my bother-in-law & lost out, but managed to buy the identical one through Abe Books for a tenner! What a let off!

aiwan1-rofl.gif

Edited by Spuds

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I saw that one.

Quite a lot of rust externally - I wonder what the inside is like!

My guess is it will make a fairly high price, but I'm saying that only because I have seen less nice ones go to ridiculous numbers.

Well, rather than start another thread - what about this one?

Ebay clicky

A small (one gallon?) can, looks much like those made by Len Turner at Preston Brook up to the late 1960s. Ron Turner (no relation, as far as I know) made some in a similar style afterwards, he may have acquired the patterns, and his son Dave now makes a few but they are subtly different.

I haven't a clue who painted it, 'er indoors says could be Sue Duddington's work.

Tim

Well, rather than start another thread - what about this one?

Ebay clicky

I can confirm that is probably an ungalvanised tinplate can made by Bococks in the 1970's. I have one nearly identical which was off my old boat "Neptune". They produced them for the gift market, saving on the need to galvanise.

Bockocks ceased production around 1981, they were renowned makers of Navigation lights in Birmingham and were bought up by Davey & Co of Essex.

I can confirm that is probably an ungalvanised tinplate can made by Bococks in the 1970's. I have one nearly identical which was off my old boat "Neptune". They produced them for the gift market, saving on the need to galvanise.

Bockocks ceased production around 1981, they were renowned makers of Navigation lights in Birmingham and were bought up by Davey & Co of Essex.

Pedant Alert !! I have it on very good authority that there is no such thing as "ungalvanized tinplate", it is ether galvanized steel or Tinplate. The former is steel plate dipped in Zinc, the latter is steel (originaly wrought iron) plate dipped in tin. the purpose of both proceedures is to prevent rusting. For what it is worth tinplating is far more costly than galvanizing. Apparently the reason that the Government want us to re-cycle food tins is in order that the industry can recover the tin in order to repeat the process on new steel plate.

Oh by the way the "good authority" is a Tinsmith who I watched make a pint beer mug by hand from a sheet of tinplate in less than an hour earlier this year.

Pedant Alert !! I have it on very good authority that there is no such thing as "ungalvanized tinplate", it is ether galvanized steel or Tinplate. The former is steel plate dipped in Zinc, the latter is steel (originaly wrought iron) plate dipped in tin. the purpose of both proceedures is to prevent rusting. For what it is worth tinplating is far more costly than galvanizing. Apparently the reason that the Government want us to re-cycle food tins is in order that the industry can recover the tin in order to repeat the process on new steel plate.

Oh by the way the "good authority" is a Tinsmith who I watched make a pint beer mug by hand from a sheet of tinplate in less than an hour earlier this year.

The advantages (for the maker) of using tinplate for making water cans are that it's usually thinner & therefore easier to form, and that it's easier to solder, than galvanised sheet. Much less rust resistance is the very major disadvantage.

Tim

• 4 months later...

I'm sure you are aware, but just to warn others!

That is clearly some kind of miniature ornamental can, as the "approx 10cm wide" description probably means it is only about 4" across at the widest point.

Would look a bit daft trying to balance your mop handle on that!

• 9 months later...

Just sold on ebay. 1 gallon can with painting supposedly by Ron Hough - but if so not to my eye his best work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261383628089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

£296 including the postage!

But who bought it?

Paul

Yes, I just saw that elsewhere.

Not I'm afraid to my tastes at all, and for a small can like that, it seems a staggering price to me.

I wouldn't dream of paying a fraction of that, frankly, so I guess I am destined to only ever own stuff not credited to a known "name".

Just sold on ebay. 1 gallon can with painting supposedly by Ron Hough - but if so not to my eye his best work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261383628089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

£296 including the postage!

But who bought it?

Paul

I've just looked again and it is supposed to be over 50 years old so it must be one of Ron's early pieces.

Paul

$_58.JPG

That is definitely Ron Hough's work. I have lots of stuff painted by him including a small panel painted by him in the early 1980's. It has very similar roses, which have changed slightly over the years. His leaves , however, are still virtually the same these days.

Given that the painting on the eBay can does not follow the traditional form, it is quite possibly one of those he painted for Harrods in the 1960's

Edited by David Schweizer

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I personally don't think this can is of quality build, but it's serviceable though has had a repair to a split in the periphery of the base.

The painting is bold and professional - but some contemporary 'gift' artists do have the knack. But what say the jury of my peers?

Didn't cost an arm or a leg either. We quite like it.

004Small_zpsb35a0f16.jpg

007Small_zpsd9393ca9.jpg

006Small_zpse3b95aa2.jpg

Hi Derek

My money is on John M Hill of Bloxwich, near Walsall. You may know him as the author of " From Stem to Stern" a guide to painting boats put out in the early 80s. John was a practising signwriter and decorator from the 70s on, I think, although he always kept his day job as a draughtsman.

Our paths crossed on a few occasions, though I don't know him well. I've not seen or heard of him for some time, don't think he's still painting.

Cheers

Dave