Who painted this can?

oldironsides

Featured Posts

OK, I personally don't think this can is of quality build, but it's serviceable though has had a repair to a split in the periphery of the base.

The painting is bold and professional - but some contemporary 'gift' artists do have the knack. But what say the jury of my peers?

Didn't cost an arm or a leg either. We quite like it.

004Small_zpsb35a0f16.jpg

Yes, I rather like that too!

I wish I shared your ability to pick such things up where they "didn't cost an arm or a leg". I consistently fail that test, or I might have some nice pieces, but for something that may go missing off the roof, however nice it is, I'm really not prepared to shell out "an arm or a leg".

Derek

Just a thought.....if you want to preserve the paintwork, you could varnish it with artist's picture varnish. It will hold the paintwork together, but can be removed later if necessary . Call if I can help further.....07831 243001

Cheers

Dave

Derek,

I'm certain that it's a John Hill can. I have a couple painted by him and it is very similar.

If it's the can I think it is (from an Antiques Centre in Shropshire...) then there is the remnants from a small rectangular sticker on the bottom. John always puts a gold sticker with his details on the bottom of his cans.

Sarah

Dave - thank you. I'll seek some out. Wenlock is not flooded with that many services that I have found as yet (plenty of rain though), and if I come up with nowt I'll call.

I've just ordered Stem to Stern, one I've never had in my collection, don't know why. Some silly money being asked for that too, though we got one for less than a tenner.

There's daft prices being asked - and PAID - for all sorts of stuff. Knitting magazines for £44 - I think not! And two books I have on my shelves - one for Ducati singles restoration bought yonks ago for the published price of £8.99, several are on the auction websites for £500 plus! A little book I bought of motorcycling reminiscences through the VMCC years ago for £2.90, one only available with a £342 price tag!!

Sarah, there is indeed a rectangle of where a sticker has been beneath the base. Looks like someone has stuck their foot inside at some point, as the bottom is as seen here:

008Small_zpsfd675f26.jpg

Rather than try to thump it out which would probably make things worse, I've cleaned the inside up and applied JB weld along the damaged seam. It's going to spend its life in the sitting room unless we win the lottery and get afloat again.

Edited by Derek R.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 3 gallon Frank Jones which following advice form Phil Speight I painted with artists picture varnish. All the flaking has stopped and I can now gently dust it to keep it clean as it's kept at home and not on the boat. I'd recommend this treatment for any flaking painted wares.