Generator..changing its 'shape'..?

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I wanted to carry a generator...about 3kw on my boat...

I saw one but with its frame...fuel tank...etc..it ends up too wide for a 'gap' I have.

Also...it all ends up with a tank of petrol on top..which I'm not happy about..

It occurred to me..that if I removed the fuel tank..and cut down/welded the frame..it would end up smaller and narrower and store in the gap I have..

I 'thought'...I could use a fuel tank like you have with an outboard...with a clip on bayonet connector.

I would be able to store this smaller tank separately in my gas locker when not in use.

Anyone done this..?

Is it safe..?

Does this 'work'..?

Can I ask the obvious question, why don't you just buy a smaller suitcase-type generator that fits in the space you have? The frame-type generators are notoriously noisy and in my opinion unsuited to boats.

Well..it would fit the space I have....but then puts the petrol tank in a space in my engine compartment...next to the electrics. I guess I'm happier about removing the petrol tank and keeping it in the gas locker...

The frame is there to ensure an air space for cooling and so nothing leans on the engine. If you can beef up the silencing and provide a cooling fan that would work well. One or two car rad cooling fans and an armoured flexi fuel pipe to a deck level fuel coupling should work fine.

Well..it would fit the space I have....but then puts the petrol tank in a space in my engine compartment...next to the electrics. I guess I'm happier about removing the petrol tank and keeping it in the gas locker...

What will you do about the petrol in the fuel pipes and carb? You can't have a petrol generator in your engine space even if the fuel tank is elsewhere.

Do the same thing, but convert it to run on LPG

Way less risk than the potential for petrol vapour to leak in to the bilge

But doesn't that just exchange and increase the risk of gas leaks into the bilge? Can you have a generator running on LPG in your engine space? :unsure:

Edited by blackrose

What will you do about the petrol in the fuel pipes and carb?

But doesn't that just exchange and increase the risk of gas leaks into the bilge? (Depending on where it's located of course).

Fixed gas pipe to near the generator, isolation valve and then flexi to the genny. Isolate the gas when not in use.

Better than leaving the genny with fuel lines and carb full of fuel (IMO)

..... to be honest, I wouldn't want a modified open cage genny running in the boat, even if you sorted out the air cooling and exhaust issues.

They're bloody noisy at the best of times.

That's why cocoon gennys cost so much

edit...

I don't know the BSC implications of such an instal either

Edited by Proper Job

What will you do about the petrol in the fuel pipes and carb? You can't have a petrol generator in your engine space even if the fuel tank is elsewhere.

But doesn't that just exchange and increase the risk of gas leaks into the bilge? Can you have a generator running on LPG in your engine space? :unsure:

If you fit a pulse pump to the crankcase the feul tank can be remote,even below the carb,this method is use a lot and with great success and reliability in kart racing

If you fit a pulse pump to the crankcase the feul tank can be remote,even below the carb,this method is use a lot and with great success and reliability in kart racing

It might be ok for kart racing, but I still don't think a BSS inspector is going to appreciate a petrol generator in an engine space. In any case, how would petrol get to the generator while in use without being in the engine space?

Edited by blackrose

It might be ok for kart racing, but I still don't think a BSS inspector is going to appreciate a petrol generator in an engine space.

Quite.

That includes the fuel in the carburettor as well as the fuel tank

Richard

because you have asked the question i'm guessing your not 100% up on the engineering involved in this, so i would have to say not to mess around with it, over heated geny engine or alternator, and petrol vapor in your bilges are big fails that might cost you dear, and wish you had never bothered.

fabricating a vapor tight locker, and constructing the correct air flow ducting off the engine and alternator would be a must.

I don't think he said he was going to run it in his engine compartment. His words were " store in the gap I have" and store the petrol separately.

Still a bad idea because of the fuel in the carb and fuel lines as previously mentioned.

Between charging periods we keep our suitcase genny in the engine space but always make sure it runs out of petrol first.

Perhaps that's ok, but I imagine there will still be vapours in the tank.