Spate of boat break-ins East London

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Thing is, both Islington and Viccy Park are now really posh areas, you'd need a million quid at least to afford a house in those areas.

It's the same in a lot of areas. Wealth is juxtaposed with deprivation and the gentrification of the area lulls some people into a false sense of security. I remember drinking in the front beer garden of a big pub in Brixton one evening in that hot summer of 2003. There must have been 50 people sitting around 10 or 12 tables and suddenly a guy walked into the garden from outside and straight up to one of the tables, casually grabbed someone's phone off the table and ran off. The guy who lost his phone was so shocked he didn't know what to do. I couldn't help thinking "It might look trendy, but Brixton's not really ready for cafe culture."

I have overnighted in the area quite a few times in the last year, with no problems. That said, I tend to arrive at a mooring late in the day and I leave early next morning. I also never moor on really obvious towpath spots. I go for obscure moorings with high banks or access that is not obvious. You make your own luck!

• Greenie 1

Given the nature of boats and canals (limited numbers and place) and the target MO of these criminals, it would seem childs play to set up a ‘little treat’ to trap them. If the police can’t or wont organise this perhaps local boaters could organise their own sting, just make sure the reception party is big and strong?

I appreciate that fighting back has its risks but isn't the misery of not fighting back worth it and besides the gang being robbed is much bigger than the gang doing the robbing, I see lots of very capable looking guys on boats, I would certainly join a well organised response.

I believe that most burglars and muggers are just as frightened of being challenged and just as vunerable as the people they are targeting but they generally get away with it simply because the shock effect renders victims momentarily powerless, if your ready on the other hand!

Alternatively, how about boaters adopting an old police practice of carrying a whistle, perhaps CaRT could issue one (with a distinctive note) with every licence. Perhaps it is time to recall the good old 'hue and cry?'

Joshua

I would just be very careful at 'fighting back' as you may be messing with what are often armed and very dangerous gang members who just don't care. We witnessed some 'fighting back' up here in the summer. The result being that the gang came back with a gun. I have never seen so many police but they didn't catch the gang member and there's always the worry they'll return.

The cops up here are adept at setting up traps though. They actually opened a record shop and recording studio up here. Ended up convicting over a dozen gang members for arms and drugs offences.

I would advise not to fight back in the way that Joshua describes. You will end up with a bigger and angrier gang next time.

I wonder though that perhaps the shift from the areas during the lympics have given the gangs a quieter hunting ground?

Maybe a high profile rally with cameras, police, CRT and boaters in attendance would raise awareness?

The one thing that gangs hate is a camera being waved in their unmasked faces!

To bring some good news to this thread. One member of London Boaters met with Jon Guest today and they have agreed between them to put the locks back on the gates at Angel bringing some respite and a safer mooring for part of that stretch. As I understand it, London Boaters who are moored there during the week will volunteer to lock and unlock the gates during their stay before passing the role on. I have already volunteered for a shift.

As regard to fighting back at Victoria Park, I would strongly recommend against that as it would make boaters much more vulnerable. I'm not sure what the answer is but putting yourself and the rest of us in harms way, isn't the answer.

We moored in 3 places during our London cruise a few weeks ago - just before Islington tunnel heading east, just before Limehouse basin and at St Pancras CC (by the lock which is their land). Didn't see any boats on the Hertford and a few by the Olympic stadium. Didn't plan it it just happened that way. New micro brewery opened on the River Lea section, I posted a Facebook message to them suggesting something to moor against so you can visit by boat.

I've only just heard about this and am feeling very bad because I was moored in the middle of all these boats and was up and awake most of the night but did not hear a thing. Or even notice any broken locks in the morning etc. I wish I could have done something to prevent all this damage and catch a few of those involved but I could not.

I guess they looked in my window and saw me awake a missed me out, so lucky for me but not for others.

When I first heard it was 10 boats, I was so surprised there were so many unoccupied boats at the weekend, but I guess a lot of people work in town and go away for the weekend.

On the other notes in this forum about not fighting back, excuse my language but F*ck that,, anyone who tries to get in my boat while I'm on board and I'm going to cut their thieving fingers off with my axe. I'm thinking of putting a sign up to this effect.

Sorry everyone I could not do more :( Take care out there.

Matt

P.S At least we have signs up now that say, "Police patrol this area" so you can all rest easy.

Oh now I read these have been nicked too :(

Edited by matola

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am, bearer of (more) bad news. :( Break-ins now spreading to Mile End. Hav edited topic title to reflect this.

Entry is gained either by doors or side hatch. Often by using a crowbar. Boaters also suspect a Co2 spray is used to freeze external padlocks and then smash them off. If anyone has any suggestions to improve security please let us know and we can pass on to boaters.

Thanks!

Edited by Lady Muck

I moored just E of Noel St couple of nights ago and opposite Stratford Stadium the next. Then Tottenham Hale three nights. Also I was at the meetin at the Palm Tree on Sunday with the Old Bill who are taking this seriously but cannot really cope. It was they who put out the notices saying they are patrolling. Owners should take responsibility for securing their boats properly. Some of the locks and doors and windows I've seen are a joke. BTW, the Bill provided a Sergeant, a Constable and two community officers for the meeting and if I had not attended they would have outnumbered the boaters. Stop crying over spilit milk and get pro-active. AND less talk about guard dogs and hammers, axes etc. That will not solve the problem of floating goldmines with ready pickings to sell at the bar of the nearest pub. Either gang up and organise organised security or move out. BTW where can you get a spray can of CO2? or can someone explain exactly how it would work?

Edited by Pentargon

It's called a CO2fire extinguisher Iain

Absolutely Iain. Up the thread somone suggested the yobs were using CO2 to freeze the locks so they would become brittle and break more easily. Can you make sense of it cause I can't? Now liquid N would be something else but where would yobs get THAT?

Cooling the steel makes it more brittle.

Most padlocks will give way using a lump hammer and cold chisel, thumped as to open them - it's the latch inside breaks.

If you can arrange them to be inside a thick steel box it really helps. I'll try and find a picture.

Here you go. The type of lock in the picture are good too. I have this arrangement on my work unit.

wide%20lockbox.jpg

I wish I had spotted this thread sooner as I could have warned the people on the boat I shared a few locks with on Monday they had travelled down from Manchester and heading for Victoria Park. I hope they get no trouble and also the spate of breakins comes to an end. As someone who has had a couple I know what it feels like.

You can buy freeze spray at plumbers merchants etc. Also some well stocked general stores. It main use is to freeze a pipe (well the contents) so you can separate and add a joint (or similar). Much quicker than turning the water off and draining etc. Still if someone wants to get in they will. Its a bit like cycle locks - the better lock you use the more time you are buying - hopefully the nasty person will choose a easier lock to break rather than yours. I guess it might be time for alarms etc.