Scumbag canoeists spoiling the reputation of others.

Featured Posts

Leeds and Liverpool canal Bridge 38 about an hour ago, I came across a pile of discarded crap. It consisted of stuff like yoghurt pots, empty cans, wrappers, carrier bags, but sadly no receipts. I picked it all up, and you probably guessed it, put it in the bin about 5 yards away. My friend appeared and told me it was a group of canoeists who had left it all just a few minutes earlier. Bloody yobbos. Sadly, fisheremen would have been blamed had there been no witness. Before anybody kicks off, I know 99% of canoeists wouldn't do this, and I was one myself as a kid.

I hope for two things:

1) They read this.

2) They bloody sink.

Edited by Guest

Leeds and Liverpool canal Bridge 38 about an hour ago, I came across a pile of discarded crap. It consisted of stuff like yoghurt pots, empty cans, wrappers, carrier bags, but sadly no receipts. I picked it all up, and you probably guessed it, put it in the bin about 5 yards away. My friend appeared and told me it was a group of canoeists who had left it all just a few minutes earlier. Bloody yobbos. Sadly, fisheremen would have been blamed had there been no witness. Before anybody kicks off, I know 99% of canoeists wouldn't do this, and I was one myself as a kid.

I hope for two things:

1) They read this.

2) They bloody sink.

Most succinctly put, Sir. I had to chortle at that! :D

I hope for two things:

1) They read this.

2) They bloody sink.

at least they didn't try and burn it ,which makes a far worse mess.

I hope for two things:

1) They read this.

2) They bloody sink.

Well done for picking it up.

It does seem to be common practice for boaters to leave their discarded prop foulings on the towpath, just waiting for some yob to throw it back in!

Last year we followed a group of canoes down the K&A and found a plastic bag left behind right on the lock landing. It was full of chocolate bars!

We had not a hope in hell of catching them up. I tried to donate it to another group going the other way but they didn't want it.

I ate it over the next few days but felt a bit guilty; me in a nice warm boat with an engine, them all cold and wet and tired!

..........Dave

I was walking up the Rochdale Nine the other day and there on the tow path was a great pile of rope, plastic and rags, well chewed and waterlogged, obviously from some boats propeller.

There nearest bin was a lot closer than five yards.

Just saying.

Yes, we have found litter over the years that was almost certainly left by boaters. Other litterers (is there such a word?) have included dog walkers, walkers/hikers, motorists, cyclists and fishermen, though I must speak up for fishermen in our area, and say that they set a good example in general.

It does seem to be common practice for boaters to leave their discarded prop foulings on the towpath, just waiting for some yob to throw it back in!

Last year we followed a group of canoes down the K&A and found a plastic bag left behind right on the lock landing. It was full of chocolate bars!

We had not a hope in hell of catching them up. I tried to donate it to another group going the other way but they didn't want it.

I ate it over the next few days but felt a bit guilty; me in a nice warm boat with an engine, them all cold and wet and tired!

..........Dave

That's where I'm going wrong... I was cursing all the bits of rope and carrier bags left on the swim during my last trip... I should just dump them, with the fire ash too. That'll make life easier...

Yes, we have found litter over the years that was almost certainly left by boaters. Other litterers (is there such a word?) have included dog walkers, walkers/hikers, motorists, cyclists and fishermen, though I must speak up for fishermen in our area, and say that they set a good example in general.

Mind you, littering seems to be a major hobby in Manchester, on a Monday morning you could almost walk on water with the amount of litter discarded in the cut.

Are you really sure they were chocolate bars? Most of the plastic bags I come across left on the towpath contain something which I wouldn't call chocolate bars, regardless of how similar they may appear.

Are you really sure they were chocolate bars? Most of the plastic bags I come across left on the towpath contain something which I wouldn't call chocolate bars, regardless of how similar they may appear.

Pretty certain they were chocolate bars. I have however found the type you refer to before today. The ice cream man used to sell that type outside the school where i work.

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to "Scumbag people spoiling the reputation of others"! ;)

Well yes, that is true. Maybe I should have said that.

There is another load of litter at Parbold this morning, probably not boat related.

Edited by Guest

..........Dave

They had left it for their friends who were following a mile behind. You should have heard what they had to say about narrow-boaters when they found their breakfast had been pinched.

Last year we followed a group of canoes down the K&A and found a plastic bag left behind right on the lock landing. It was full of chocolate bars! ...

..........Dave

Not so much scumbag as foolish (and a bit arrogant) ...

Also on the K&A last year, had a guy plop a fibreglass kayak right down between us and the short lay-by as we were coming in to a lock - I guess about three boat-lengths away. He'd sort of raced down the lay-by from the top of the lock when he saw us coming, to get a 'first claim' on it. I yelled for him to pull it out as I couldn't stop on a dime and needed somewhere to pull in. Bright fellow bellowed back, "You have reverse gear don't you?", and I suppose was just going to stare us down. It came out pretty quickly though when I said we weighed 15 tons and I'd need a couple of boat lengths to stop. I really thought, though, he was going to watch it get crushed, just in spite.

It said Cadbury on the wrapper and tasted ok!

Some of the "second hand human food" left in the bushes by a few boaters is another thing altogether...the dog reckons it tastes good but it does her digestive system no favours at all.

(please don't reply, this sub-topic needs to end right now!)

.......Dave

I was walking up the Rochdale Nine the other day and there on the tow path was a great pile of rope, plastic and rags, well chewed and waterlogged, obviously from some boats propeller.

There nearest bin was a lot closer than five yards.

Just saying.

That jars me off as well.

Mind you, littering seems to be a major hobby in Manchester, on a Monday morning you could almost walk on water with the amount of litter discarded in the cut.

came through Leicester on the Soar this "summer". Was the worst for rubbish I have come across, far worse than either Manchester or the other oft quoted black spot of Burnley and Blackburn.

edited to correct punctuation (its worse than my spelling)

Edited by John V