Vinyl Boat Names

Simon (Hawksmoor)

Featured Posts

We need new lettering for out boat so will look at the places recommended here, but how do you remove the old lettering without making a pigs ear of the paint underneath? I assume some kind of heat device would be required rather than a chemical solution?

Thanks

David

I scraped mine off without damaging the paint underneath, it's possible. Heat gun probably quicker but needs power.

If vinyl then yes. Heat should do. If the metal is not too cold a hair dryer should do. If the metal is very cold the heat will quickly run away. Something hotter will be required but be careful.

I scraped mine off without damaging the paint underneath, it's possible. Heat gun probably quicker but needs power.

Ok - I will try a hairdryer first and then a heat gun. Power shouldn't be a problem as we have 240v hookup at the moment.

Thanks

David

Ok - I will try a hairdryer first and then a heat gun. Power shouldn't be a problem as we have 240v hookup at the moment.

Thanks

David

Just a word of caution - remember that one of the prime uses of a heat gun is for the removal of paint ...

Lettering & boat names in vinyl? Why stop there? Why not vinyl wrap the entire boat?

Don't know where I saw it, but someone's already done it for less than a couple of grand, I believe, for the entire boat. Cheaper than a repaint.

Edited by Spuds

Lettering & boat names in vinyl? Why stop there? Why not vinyl wrap the entire boat?

Don't know where I saw it, but someone's already done it for less than a couple of grand, I believe, for the entire boat. Cheaper than a repaint.

Our boat isn't really traditional in any way so I'm not sure having a traditional handpainted name would add anything to the overall look/feel of the boat.

As an aside I have an extensive vinyl collection but also DJ with CD's - the discussions over which is best rage all over the Dj forums but ultimately digital formats are winning, however pursists still claim vinyl is best. So vinyl on boats is bad, vinyl in music is good - it's all subjective though :)

Campbell Park in Milton Keynes - I think the boat is called 'Avebury' - dark green trad

Like this?

I've used Funky Monkey twice now. First was a bright red colour and this faded fairly quickly which was disappointing however the overall integrity of the vinyl was still good. Second time round I've used black and they seem to be doing better. I was really happy with the price, service and delivery again hence I used them again and would recommend. Really quick and easy to apply.

A friend of mine had his boat vinyl wrapped for 1100 quid. He's happy with it but I wouldn't do it. Scratched or scuffed paint can be polished or repaired, but that's a bit more difficult with vinyl wrapping.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDAtMjAxMTA3MjQtMTkwOS5qcGc.jpg

Edited by blackrose

We are considering renewing the boat name signwriting on the bow-flashes of Hawksmoor.

We have been looking at the Funky Monkey website and it seems pretty good and reasonably priced (at around £50 for 2 name flashes).

My question is ... are they any good? Do they pass the test of time or do they start to peel, or shrink or look shabby after a couple of years?

Any owners with first hand experience out there please?

We used these people www.stickonsigns.co.uk and are very happy with the result.

Steve

A different thing I guess for a cruiser , but bought our names off a local guy via E-Bay (7 yr Vinyl) so far so good (3yrs on)

I also did Dads hatch cover around 3-4 yrs ago with his army regiment badge (He always fancied something different - so when I took it away to paint , I had a local sign company make up the badge in 7yr vinyl) I must say I baulked at applying it in their recommended way with water , so it took a while to apply without any bubbles , but the result is excellent, no fading (Its almost always in contact with the sun & many folks asked who painted it (I can tell its vinyl but from a distance... ?)

£10 for the cruiser names & £25 for Dads hatch . To be fair couldn't have afforded to have Dads done with a sign writer !