Living on a Boat

Featured Posts

I manage on a 30 footer (cruiser stern too) perfectly fine and don't find it too small at all. It's not necessarily for everyone but I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out or don't have enough space for everything I need.

Surely starry you must miss the years ahead of month after month after month of a big mortgage to buy a house ? and bank loans for all other sorts of bunkum in the rat race. What fun can it be for you to have a bought and paid for boat at your age and a life of freedom of choice rather than towing the line because you need next months payments. Naaaaaaaaaaah cant be much fun for you ;)

Tim

BUT.... Over the 7 years that I have been a member of the forum, I've seen plenty who think that it's going to be one thing, then get a big shock when they find out it isn't.

I've also seen people who've spent all of their spare cash on a boat only to find out that they've bought a 'lemon', and they don't have any more to get it fixed...

One forum member recently coined the phrase "Living the dreamaboards"

Edited by blackrose

Surely starry you must miss the years ahead of month after month after month of a big mortgage to buy a house ? and bank loans for all other sorts of bunkum in the rat race. What fun can it be for you to have a bought and paid for boat at your age and a life of freedom of choice rather than towing the line because you need next months payments. Naaaaaaaaaaah cant be much fun for you ;)

Tim

Yes, quite. :D I was always delighted to rent accommodation, and having to move on an annual or bi-annual basis with all of my furniture and cats as and when the areas in which I worked changed or the landlord decided to sell up (or in the case of the last but one, turn into a machete- wielding maniac). It gave me something to get up in the mornings for.

Understandably I was more than willing to fork over all of my saved and acquired cash to throw down on the mortgage for a pokey little one bedroom rathole on a ropey road in the arse end of nowhere, should any lender have deigned to take half of my earnings from me for the next 25 years at all, because that's what civilised people do, innit.

It really sucks to be owning my own home now and being able to do with it what I like. I don't like having to choose what pictures to hang up now I'm actually allowed to hammer holes in the wall, and getting to paint my bedroom the colour of my choice for the first time in my life was nearly a deal breaker, I can tell you. Up until a couple of weeks ago when I was smoking, every time someone walked past I would try and hide the fact I had a cigarette because of this whole stupid 'its yours, you can smoke in it if you like' thing, that just feels, well, wrong.

I particularly hate the fact that I can take it with me everywhere I go and not have to transplant the assorted detritus of my life into a succession of overpriced flea pits in different areas. I also hate not having to pay rent to some buttmunch who thinks its cool to let himself into my home when I am out and read my post, I really feel like something is missing in my life as a result.

But most of all I hate all of the fecking weirdo's who hang around boats and force feed me sloe gin and cooked meals and stuff, and keep an eye on my property for me while I'm away without even being asked! Fecking liberty!

Freaks.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 2

But most of all I hate all of the fecking weirdo's who hang around boats and force feed me sloe gin and cooked meals and stuff, and keep an eye on my property for me while I'm away without even being asked! Fecking liberty!

Freaks.

:cheers:

Totally. Boaters are such...weird freaks.

Astonishment is a preference for the 'abitual voyeur of wot is known as...... Cut Life... Your daily suit can be avoided if you get right involved in... Cut Life.... I feed the ducklings, I sometimes feed the moorhens too, it gives me a sense of enormous well being.... Cut Life.... and then I'm 'appy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it....

All the people

So many people

And they all drink pints and pints

Drink and laugh through their.... Cut Life....

(Apologies to Blur!)

I manage on a 30 footer (cruiser stern too) perfectly fine and don't find it too small at all. It's not necessarily for everyone but I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out or don't have enough space for everything I need.

And you have a fantastic bathroom.

Phil

Astonishment is a preference for the 'abitual voyeur of wot is known as...... Cut Life... Your daily suit can be avoided if you get right involved in... Cut Life.... I feed the ducklings, I sometimes feed the moorhens too, it gives me a sense of enormous well being.... Cut Life.... and then I'm 'appy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it....

All the people

So many people

And they all drink pints and pints

Drink and laugh through their.... Cut Life....

(Apologies to Blur!)

:cheers:

We didn't hire in the winter, in fact we'd only been on a handful of hire holidays over a number of years.

Happily looking forward to our 4th winter living aboard full time having had a blast so far exploring a fair chunk of the system and meeting tons of amazing people.

Yours faithfully

Mr & Mrs Living the Dreamaboard :cheers:

Hi

My husband Dave & I are so new to boating we haven't even bought our boat yet! We've got a week booked off work later this month when we're hoping to go boat shopping (we live in Kent which isn't too convenient for the canal network!) Our grand plan is to pack in our jobs and let out our house sometime between August this year and spring 2009 and embrace the canal life as continuous cruisers. We've just got to wait for our 19 year old son to get a job when he finishes college this summer, hence the big time window.

I'm looking forward to getting to know fellow boating enthusiasts via this forum, and maybe even meet some of you in person once we get trucking.

Take care

Ange

We didn't hire in the winter, in fact we'd only been on a handful of hire holidays over a number of years.

Happily looking forward to our 4th winter living aboard full time having had a blast so far exploring a fair chunk of the system and meeting tons of amazing people.

Yours faithfully

Mr & Mrs Living the Dreamaboard :cheers:

That is such a good little cameo and an inspiration to many, we have the boat and dipped our toes in the cc water by having a 3.5m summer cruise , maybe next year we can let go........

• 1 month later...

Yes, quite. :D I was always delighted to rent accommodation, and having to move on an annual or bi-annual basis with all of my furniture and cats as and when the areas in which I worked changed or the landlord decided to sell up (or in the case of the last but one, turn into a machete- wielding maniac). It gave me something to get up in the mornings for.

Understandably I was more than willing to fork over all of my saved and acquired cash to throw down on the mortgage for a pokey little one bedroom rathole on a ropey road in the arse end of nowhere, should any lender have deigned to take half of my earnings from me for the next 25 years at all, because that's what civilised people do, innit.

It really sucks to be owning my own home now and being able to do with it what I like. I don't like having to choose what pictures to hang up now I'm actually allowed to hammer holes in the wall, and getting to paint my bedroom the colour of my choice for the first time in my life was nearly a deal breaker, I can tell you. Up until a couple of weeks ago when I was smoking, every time someone walked past I would try and hide the fact I had a cigarette because of this whole stupid 'its yours, you can smoke in it if you like' thing, that just feels, well, wrong.

I particularly hate the fact that I can take it with me everywhere I go and not have to transplant the assorted detritus of my life into a succession of overpriced flea pits in different areas. I also hate not having to pay rent to some buttmunch who thinks its cool to let himself into my home when I am out and read my post, I really feel like something is missing in my life as a result.

Freaks.