Stopping the rain coming in - will this work

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

I have an air cooled Lister with side vents in the boat that allow rain water into the engine compartment, along with rain coming in from the cover being a tad too short.

My idea is for over the winter to get some cover material and make it to fit over the vents and also make a kind of skirt to go under the existing covers. To hold them in place I thought of sewing some bar magnets into the seams. However, I'm struggling to find any magnets long enough that I think might be strong enough to do the job.

Has anyone else tried this (or is another wild idea of mine) and does anyone know where I can get strong bar shaped magnets?

Thanks

Tony

I've used some strip magnet recemtly as a guide for line painting, suffices ok for that, but might not be quite heave duty enough for your application.

You could try these

Neodymium Block Magnets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Strong-Neodymium-Block-Magnets-42-x-8-x-10mm-/221126243186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item337c26b372#ht_1287wt_1270

They are pricey but very strong, you could string these in a seam, they also come in many shapes and sizes, some even with countersunk holes in. Smaller ones could be spaced out every couple of inches or so along a seam.

I have an air cooled Lister with side vents in the boat that allow rain water into the engine compartment, along with rain coming in from the cover being a tad too short.

My idea is for over the winter to get some cover material and make it to fit over the vents and also make a kind of skirt to go under the existing covers. To hold them in place I thought of sewing some bar magnets into the seams. However, I'm struggling to find any magnets long enough that I think might be strong enough to do the job.

Has anyone else tried this (or is another wild idea of mine) and does anyone know where I can get strong bar shaped magnets?

Thanks

Tony

I'd recommend these magnetic tool bars. Amazon clicky

Our ex working boats have steel under cloth conversions and I've used these magnets to keep flapping canvas in place when it's windy. They are incredibly strong and will be ideal for the job you have in mind.

Edited by koukouvagia

I can't understand why there are not proper louver vents over these apertures unless its quite an old boat some of which only had wire mesh over them to pre vent beasties like mice,rats and Ducks from climbing aboard and becoming stowaways.

Thanks to all who replied and so good links and ideas.

And Bizzard I have had solid louvres fitted but somehow the water keeps coming in so the covers I plan hopefully will cover all basis. Unless of course the Sin in Law has drilled another hole below the water line - that's another story. Not maliciously I should add :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who replied and so good links and ideas.

And Bizzard I have had solid louvres fitted but somehow the water keeps coming in so the covers I plan hopefully will cover all bases. Unless of course the Sin in Law has drilled another hole below the water line - that's another story. Not maliciously I should add :rolleyes: