Route into Birmingham

Wardle

Featured Posts

About 15 years ago I used to keep a boat at Sherborne wharf in the city centre. The route south to Stratford always felt safe, compared to the dodgy areas one had to pass through on other routes out. We are laying plans to hire a boat next year in the Stratford region, travelling north to moor in the Gas Street/Symphony Hall area. Hopefully nothing's changed too much in the last few years and I can continue to be relaxed about our entry into the city from that direction. We'll have a couple of newbies for crew and I'd hate for them to experience any anti-social behaviour on their first trip.

(And yes, I do know that Sherborne Wharf itself has changed. It used to be the backs of old factories. Now it's a canyon of apartment balconies).

I think you may be overly worrying!

We are regularly in or out of central Birmingham by one route or another, and have never had problems or in any way felt threatened on any of them.

Personally I have always had a fascination for the routes in and out via the Farmer's Bridge flight.

If I'm honest, I get relatively bored in comparison by the lock-less approach from King's Norton up the Worcester & Birmingham, if I have come in off the Northern Stratford.

I agree with Alan. We've done a whole range of different routes in and out of Birmingham: the Worcs and Birmingham; the GU route through Knowle/Catherine de Barnes/Ashted/Farmer's Bridge; the Birmingham and Fazely using both the Aston and Garrison flights on different occasions; the New and Old Main Lines to Dudley and Wolverhampton; and even Ryder's Green, the Rushall Canal, and Perry Barr locks. We've never had a hint of trouble on any route, and if I were you I'd want to go into the city one way and out another, just for the variety.

With that proposed route you could go the North Stratford/W&B route in, and the GU out, if you wanted variety. The North Stratford route is less locks though.

On North Stratford, I would plan the run to Birmingham so you stop overnight somewhere between the top(ish) of Lapworth and Dickens Heath, and then you go to central Birmingham in one hop. On the GU I would go from Birmingham to Catherine De Barnes. We have done both those routes this year, the North Stratford one twice.

The best part is when you get to Birmingham and have a run down the Main Line.

same for me only had stones thrown at the boat in the cutting at Solihull(once only) never had any bother elsewhere, overnight stops at top of camp hill, top of Walsall top of Wolverhampton 21, in brum by the NIA and in the sherborne loop, have left the boat at Norton Canes and Anglesey Basin for 4 days a few times again without incident.

Echo all the above; all routes should be trouble free in the day time and if you choose "scenic" overnight mooring you should be fine.

Having said that we had to stop at the top of Camp Hill Locks last year as kids cast us off at the bottom. However, although it was not a nice location we had no problems.

Beside the NIA is a quiet mooring - provided that whatever event was on is not in its last day as we fould the breakdown crews worked all night long.

I can reccomend a circular route; the North Stratford is quite pleasant, central Brum is great, shops, museums and so on within walking distance and returning via the GU is most relaxing coupled with a fantastic view from the top of Knowle (sets you up for the 5 heavy locks following).

We're fans of Brum and its industrial past - even though we come from the soft South.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't overly concerned about the 'banditry', but just wanted to check out the current situation. Thanks to John6767 for the specific suggestion about where to overnight on the way in.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't overly concerned about the 'banditry', but just wanted to check out the current situation. Thanks to John6767 for the specific suggestion about where to overnight on the way in.

When it come to overnight moorings i tend to be guided by John and Fiona Slee of NB Epiphany on their website

http://nbepiphany.co.uk/bcn-moorings

Hav a good trip!

Nick

I love the BCN.

Having now done it on a couple of BCN Challenges and a few trips around at a more leisurely pace I would recommend it to anyone.

I seen a few sights, experienced a few weird happenings and witnessed the down right bizarre, but that's just part and parcel of the BCN experience.

I've never been threatened or even felt at risk.

Talk to the drunks and involve the kids

I love the BCN.

Having now done it on a couple of BCN Challenges and a few trips around at a more leisurely pace I would recommend it to anyone.

I seen a few sights, experienced a few weird happenings and witnessed the down right bizarre, but that's just part and parcel of the BCN experience.

I've never been threatened or even felt at risk.

Talk to the drunks and involve the kids

Came down the Birminghan & Fazeley a couple of weeks ago. Passed through Curdworth and Camp Hill Locks. Curdworth was ok but Camp Hill was a bit of a trial with lack of water, we had to let some down from the top to get through the pounds. Lots of rubbish round the prop although it did clear with copious amounts of reverse. Apart from the water issue the locks appear to be in good condition. Lots of what appears to be Arabic style graffiti over the lock beams, no idea what it is supposed to say.

Travelling through the 'badlands' (Sparkbrook and Tydesley) was ok, the worst was a conker thrown at us, I would not stop around here though and we did not see any other boats.

Catherine de Barnes was good, we had an excellent meal in the pub (Tom O' the Wood IIRC), the chappie behind the bar said that very few boats have come through this year compared to last which he put down to the reputation of the 'Badlands'.

Sometimes you're lucky sometimes you're not.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Catherine de Barnes was good, we had an excellent meal in the pub (Tom O' the Wood IIRC), the chappie behind the bar said that very few boats have come through this year compared to last which he put down to the reputation of the 'Badlands'.

It's Boat Inn at Catherine De Barnes. Tom O'the Wood is further down the GU between Lapworth and Hatton.

We have gone in and out of Birmingham twice on hire boats.

First time doing the Stourport Ring and we entered Birmingham on the BCN on the new main line after coming through the Netherton Tunnel back in 2007 and had no problems at all.

The secondtime was 2011 doing the Black Country Ring and the only real problem was being tired from working the Farmers Bridge locks, no anti social behaviour at all.

We moored outside of the NIA for two nights and had no problemsat all.

And we left via the New Main Line, did plan to use the Old Main Line but it was when they had that chemical leek and had the problems with the dead fish.

So as long as you take the usual precuations when cruising in any City you should be ok.

We even got through the Wolverhampton 21 with no problems although the locks where crawling with BW and EA people due the the polution problem

Reported.

"Serrurier" was one of the words I always struggled to pronounce, when living in Paris which was a problem as I lived above a Locksmiths shop.

I'm guessing the spammer isn't linking to his "Keys cut while you wait" website.