butty rudder advise needed

gary&sue

Featured Posts

having recently aquired a small northwich butty which has been part converted for motorization . i am struggling to find a northwich rudder with motor and prop installed into it so i can make one for my boat idesperately need to look and take measurements if at all possible as i am a welder fabricator by trade i really dont want to pay someone else to build one for me .so if any member has any knoledge of this conversion iwould be very gratefull for any help .got to move on boat in 3 weeks and under unbelieveable pressure from the wife .somebody save me please. :banghead:

having recently aquired a small northwich butty which has been part converted for motorization . i am struggling to find a northwich rudder with motor and prop installed into it so i can make one for my boat idesperately need to look and take measurements if at all possible as i am a welder fabricator by trade i really dont want to pay someone else to build one for me .so if any member has any knoledge of this conversion iwould be very gratefull for any help .got to move on boat in 3 weeks and under unbelieveable pressure from the wife .somebody save me please. :banghead:

Last week there was a butty with a steel ruder holding a hydraulic drive moored on the Leicter arm of the GU at Norton Junction. Don't know what class it was.

Search the forum for pictures of Koukouvagia's hydraulic drive fitted into the ellum of Hampton. (I'm on the BB so can't find it for you just now).

David

i think you're right Paul, if i recall, they are selling it with a motorised 'ellum or with traditional. From what I remeber it's not the most attractive of examples!!!

Dan

Once i'd been in the butty i wasn't going to look too hard at the options, i notice that perhaps Pupis has sold. That will be a good project for the new owners!

Just finished the last peice of wood in Cygnus's back cabin today, it's been fun, no really it has, honest :lol: just the rest to do now :wacko:

I noticed that too, a bit of a project for sure!!!!

I'm just at the point of booking mine in for new bottom and footings, not sure how bad the bottom is, but the footings are shot so may as well future proof the job! Then its "just" a case of sorting out the gunnels, cabins, cloths and fitting out, if you say it quickly, it doesn't sound much!!

Regards

Dan

You're welcome to come and look at mine. It's a replica Braithwaite and Kirk elum made by Warwickshire Flyboats. The picture Ray reposted shows how the hydraulic motor is fitted, but I've got lots more if you're interested. Graeme Pearce at Stockon Dry Dock is also the person to speak to.

PM me if you'd like a closer look at Hampton.