For the many Steam train enthusiasts among you

bargemast

Featured Posts

Splendid - that's me steamed up for the day. It looks like about seven-and-a-half inch gauge track, so about one-eighth full size.

I love the Shay (no. 15), but wonder how many hundreds of hours of skill, patience and love went into its creation - unless, of course, there's a factory in Japan turning them out.

Wonderful, would love to see British set up similar, any more links ?

I recall that you have some pretty good steam power over there in NZ. I have happy memories of visiting the Glenbrook Railway near Auckland in 1982.

There's some quite impressive Civils there, isn't there.

Wonderful, would love to see British set up similar, any more links ?

This is a good one, with particularly impressive S&T: http://www.cockcrow.co.uk/

Everglades is the same size frame as the famous Borough Market Junction (albeit style L rather than K) and, like Borough Market, is double-manned; very impressive to see it being worked.

Most towns have model engineering clubs that are devoted to building and running model steam loco's. These clubs running tracks are usually tucked away in parks and private grounds and woodlands but are almost always open to the public mainly on running days and evenings. I used to belong to Romford MEC where i ran my 3.1/2'' gauge loco. If you check in your local paper your bound to find out where these are. Most model engineers are quite and modest folk and don't go about advertising their hobby.

Down in Devon open to the public is a large 7.1/4'' gauge railway ''can't remember the name of it'' landscaped in American Rockies style the owner of which has built a massive articulated ''Big Boy''. the full size ones were the largest steam loco's ever built in the world and could haul freight trains 4 miles long. When diesels took over in the States it took four or more diesel electric loco's to pull the same length trains.

Down in Devon open to the public is a large 7.1/4'' gauge railway ''can't remember the name of it'' landscaped in American Rockies style the owner of which has built a massive articulated ''Big Boy''. the full size ones were the largest steam loco's ever built in the world and could haul freight trains 4 miles long. When diesels took over in the States it took four or more diesel electric loco's to pull the same length trains.

That was at Dobwells in Cornwall, Has since closed and been sold off.

I recall that you have some pretty good steam power over there in NZ. I have happy memories of visiting the Glenbrook Railway near Auckland in 1982.

And i have memories of the Bluebell in Surrey. But the highlight was doing all the "Great little trains of Wales" The Beyer Garrets on the Welsh Highland were particularly interesting.

And i have memories of the Bluebell in Surrey. But the highlight was doing all the "Great little trains of Wales" The Beyer Garrets on the Welsh Highland were particularly interesting.

Close! The Bluebell is in neighbouring Sussex. I used to know the Welsh lines quite well as I spent two or three student svacations working on the Festiniog. I like dthei Fairlie "double engines". At that time the Welsh Highland was not yet reopened, there were two small societies trying to reactivate it but they spent most of their time arguing wth each other. I think the Festiniog owns or part-owns it now, one hopes that they will have more success with it than they did in the 1935-37 period when they leased it and it just about bankrupted them.

Close! The Bluebell is in neighbouring Sussex. I used to know the Welsh lines quite well as I spent two or three student svacations working on the Festiniog. I like dthei Fairlie "double engines". At that time the Welsh Highland was not yet reopened, there were two small societies trying to reactivate it but they spent most of their time arguing wth each other. I think the Festiniog owns or part-owns it now, one hopes that they will have more success with it than they did in the 1935-37 period when they leased it and it just about bankrupted them.

Our visit was on a typical wet/windy day, but both the Ffestiniog and the WHR were both well patronised, so hopefully it was a sign of continued success. The WHR had only recently opened right through to Porthmadog, so the connection with Ffestiniog was ideal. The scenery through to Cearnafon was just magnificent.

I've not seen an engine set up like the one at the 3 minute point

It looks like a vertical 3 cyclinder engine with shafts to drive wheels

Yes, as mentioned in my earlier post, a Shay geared loco. There was another type very similar to the Shay whose name I have forgotten. Something like Hausler pehaps.

EDIT: Heisler.

Edited by Athy

Athy,

The Welsh Highland Railway from Portmadog to Caernarfon is part of the Festiniog Group now, and they connect at Wharf Station, which is currently being remodelled to provide a proper platform for the WHR. They have run trains from BF all the way to Caernarfon.

The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway was the group that first wanted to build the through line, but for various reasons weren't able to. There was a deep division between the two companies, but this seems to have mellowed a lot now, and the WHHR have a connection to the WHR at Gelerts Farm, and that has been used several times now. Unfortunately the two companies use different braking methods so they do not have compatibility, but it looks like a solution is being worked on.

Still trying to find the time to do the Port - Caernarfon trip!

As you approach Sale from the Lymm side isn't there a model railway society in the small park beside the Bridgewater Canal?

The Caernarfon to Porthmadog railway is a fabulous day out. Spend the small bit extra to go in the observation car. Wonderful seeing those ex South African but originally built in Manchester locos still steaming away. The scenery is stunning and you get to see the Snowdon trains puffing up to the summit on clear days.

Yes, as mentioned in my earlier post, a Shay geared loco. There was another type very similar to the Shay whose name I have forgotten. Something like Hausler pehaps.

Heisler:

cass6.jpg

Climax:

8631.JPG

Richard

As somebody who struggled to put Airfix kits together properly, all I can say is WOW!!

Some of the boxcars and wagons were works of art in themselves, but the loco's were just amazing. I have seen plenty of model steam engines etc, but these are in a different league altogether.

Sorry I missed that, I read your post, then saw the vid and didn't put the number 15 in context with it.

I think it's pretty impressive. Was anything like that ever used on British railways?

I haven't watched the video, it sounds like a Shay

35.jpg

Richard

That's the one Richard

I see you've found a picture of a full sized one :)

I like the Heisler as well. Was that a Vee twin or just an offset single to fit under the boiler?

<snip>

I like the Heisler as well. Was that a Vee twin or just an offset single to fit under the boiler?

A twin. I can't remember the exact order of development of these locos but basically two of them are copies of the first, but avoiding patents (IIRC)

They were all designed for use on poorly laid logging lines with fierce gradients. Hence the all-wheel drive and low gearing to the axles

Some nice Shay action here:

Richard

RApennyRA.jpg

Not sure if mentioned, but the Climax is another common type in other countries..... [EDIT: Oops! - I see it has!....]

800px-Fruit_Growers_Number_3.jpg

(Spot anything on any of these that we could adapt to operate Sickle's gears, please, Richard ? :lol:)

Edited by alan_fincher