Is there any reason why CaRT cannot follow the EA processes?

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Link to story on River Thames Website. but reproduced below for those on a low speed link.

I wonder if this is a process CaRT could follow but remembering that CaRT don't have lock-keepers so the interaction with boaters is almost certainly less than for the EA

The Environment Agency has stepped up its action against unregistered boats on the non-tidal Thames.

Waterways officers have checked 1,000 boats in the last week alone and aim to check every boat on ther river by the end of the year.

Owners of boats not displaying valid registration plates face possible prosecution,

The EA is also taking tougher action action against speeding boats on the river

Environment Agency Thames Waterway Operations manager, Matt Carter said: "The income we raise from boat registration fees helps to pay for the upkeep of the entire non-tidal navigation between Teddington and Lechlade, a length of 144 miles, including 45 locks. All boats kept on the river which includes berths in marinas, must display a valid annual registration plate."

"We need every penny of registration income that we are due to keep it in the best condition possible."

New legislation last year requires all boats moored on the Thames, whether or not they are used, to display a valid annual boat registration plate.

Typical licence fee for a 30 foot boat is currently around £450 a year but expected to increase again in January

Every reach of river will be checked at least once, including all marinas and side channels, and officers will re-visit areas where there is a regular turnover or high numbers of boats.

The Environment Agency will also be carrying out speed checks over the coming weeks. The speed limit is 4 knots or 8kmh.

The EA said:" Ignorance of these regulations is not a valid excuse. If caught speeding boat owners will be prosecuted."

Information boat registration can be found on the EA website ,by phone on 03708 506 506 or by email at boatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk.

BW always did an annual boat check which is how they have just about eradicated licence evasion.

The story would seem to suggest that EA are following BW's (and no CRT's) processes, not the other way round.

Well that's good news - I always thought it was the other way round. I see more of the Thames issues as I am moored on the Wey and it's always struck me that there are very few 'inspectors' on CaRT waterways only seen one in about 10 years) but I am delighted to hear that the opposite is true.

Our license has been checked multiple times in the last year or so - not only whilst on the move but whilst we were moored in Lemonroyd Marina...

any info. on where you can boat without getting your licence checked appreciated.... ;)

any info. on where you can boat without getting your licence checked appreciated.... ;)

I've seen checkers several times this year. The last time I was moored in the Capenwray arm of the Lancaster Canal. The license checkers these days are usually young-ish and on bicycles and use a ruggedised touchpad computer.

The lad I saw was on the towpath opposite the arm and he was able to read my registration number from the towpath but there was another boat moored further up the arm. He arrived about 5 minutes later on the offside to check the registration number of the other boat which probably involved a half mile cycle from the point opposite.

I think to avoid them you need to be well camouflaged! ;)

I've seen checkers several times this year. The last time I was moored in the Capenwray arm of the Lancaster Canal. The license checkers these days are usually young-ish and on bicycles and use a ruggedised touchpad computer.

The lad I saw was on the towpath opposite the arm and he was able to read my registration number from the towpath but there was another boat moored further up the arm. He arrived about 5 minutes later on the offside to check the registration number of the other boat which probably involved a half mile cycle from the point opposite.

I think to avoid them you need to be well camouflaged! ;)

I don't have a BW/CaRT registration number because the boat has always been based on the Wey and therefore there is 'no need' for it - I suppose that makes little difference to the ability of CaRT to deal with any licence evasion? Or is that regarded as camouflage perhaps?! It naver has been (or will be I hope) my intention to evade paying my way.

You certainly cannot get away with licence evasion on the Wey.

It seems from the replies that licence evasion is pretty much under control which can't be anything other than good news.

The other thing that fits in here perhaps is to ensure that everyone is aware of the £10 transit licence between Teddington and the Wey (or vice versa) for any size of boat and valid for 24 hours. Not valid to use from Shepperton upstream but a very useful reduction from £38:50 each way for a 60' boat if going to/from the tidal Thames.

Most sections of the Soar and Trent are not checked, only the Navigation sections are under BW/CaRT jurisdiction, ie, Loughborough, Barrow, Cranfleet Cut, Nottingham Cut etc.

There are boats - not on these sections, which have probably not been registered anywhere for years.

Our license has been checked multiple times in the last year or so - not only whilst on the move but whilst we were moored in Lemonroyd Marina...

Ashwood Marina on the staffs & worcs is a private arm where you do not need a licence, so I understand.

Ashwood Marina on the staffs & worcs is a private arm where you do not need a licence, so I understand.

aaah but staying in a marina does not count as boating to me...

Edited by The Dog House

The other thing that fits in here perhaps is to ensure that everyone is aware of the £10 transit licence between Teddington and the Wey (or vice versa) for any size of boat and valid for 24 hours.

Seems unfair there is no equivalent for getting to the Wey from the Oxford canal at Oxford.

Or maybe there is!

Every six weeks or so, someone from BW (or CaRT)comes round the marina and checks all of the boat's numbers on a handheld pc thing that I assume gives him real time data on licencing. I am not sure if this is done in all marinas or just ones with a big BW presence/ local office.

Every week up here.