Equipment kept on the roof

loubyscooby

Featured Posts

Since living on my boat I have been out on the cut a few times but have not gone far. I hope to go out further in October (providing I can find a crew) so need to buy some of the essentials that will be kept on the roof.

Apart from a pole, a boat hook and a plank do I need to get anything else? Also looking at some previous threads regarding poles I take it that you should have it longer than 12ft and not made of pine - is that right ?

It may be a silly question so for that I apologise before hand

Louise

It also depends where you are. We have a long pole, a boat hook and two planks.

I use the pole often

I use the hook infrequently to recover my hat

I have never used the planks*

Richard

*Well, not for their intended purpose anyway. They do make a handy workbench across the cockpit, and I have levered a propeller out of the drive coupling with one

Edited by RLWP

We have tended to keep a small net for nabbing things out of the water.

Also your centre line should be accessible from both sides (or have two) and if possible try not to leave anything nearby for it could snag on. Keep it within reach of the steerer at all times (trailing along the roof) not coiled up in the middle of the roof :)

If you decide to remove your chimney some people use lids to keep any crud out while on the move (rain, general soil...)

Enjoy your trip!

Well I keep my mooring pins on the roof, but not my plank! You don't need to wait for a crew - you'll soon get the hang of singlehanding if you want to. But you will need a centre rope to hand.

Where are you going to get your pole? It's quite difficult getting a one 12ft or over except by calling at a waterside chandlery, because of transport difficulties. Speaking of which, why aren't long poles available in sections, extendable using s/steel or brass sleeves? (At least I've never seen one).

Thanks for the comments...

I do need to get 2 centre ropes so thanks Dekazer

Mac - not brave enough to think of doing it single handed yet ( did have 2 yrs experience on a 54ft NB with my ex but now got a 60ft WB). I need to google to find out where the best place is to get a pole

Richard - love it that items have a dual purpose

Sueb I will get a life ring but hope never to use it

Thanks again

Louise

Mac - not brave enough to think of doing it single handed yet ( did have 2 yrs experience on a 54ft NB with my ex but now got a 60ft WB). I need to google to find out where the best place is to get a pole

Thanks again

Louise

Hi Louise

Midland Chandlers sell them as did the Marina at Shobnall. I think the issue really is getting the pole home. The Midland often have a "Freaky Friday" so you could pick one up then. I wouldn't be supprised if they have one near Bank Holiday Weekend.

Sarah & Ian Im at Mercia so could just pull up by Midland Swindlers and throw it on the top and will defo be looking at getting it if they have a BH sale (esp as we get 7% off as moorers)

Cheshire Rose I need to light the fire first as Ive never used it Haha but then logs will be on the top too

:cheers:

Louise

Sarah & Ian Im at Mercia so could just pull up by Midland Swindlers and throw it on the top and will defo be looking at getting it if they have a BH sale (esp as we get 7% off as moorers)

Cheshire Rose I need to light the fire first as Ive never used it Haha but then logs will be on the top too

:cheers:

Louise

Hello

Yes I know your moored above the "island" we're on NB Thomas. We keep apologising to your dog walker as Thomas the cat keeps refusing to move out of Georges way!!

The only extra I'll add, and it's optional, is one of these sealable 'map cases', large enough to take your opened guide book. With a positive eye to the future, and longer trips, try to get one large enough to allow pages to be turned without opening the case.

Slip a length of flat steel bar (perhaps wrapped in masking tape) into the case as well.

This serves two functions;

if necessary, it holds the pages flat;

it inhibits the book being blown off the roof by that light breeze which springs up occasionally!

A second map case for the appropriate Explorer OS map might also be useful.

HTH

Edited by Davidss

Do you know I kept looking at the pic of your boat and thinking I've seen that somewhere - yes a few boats away from mine !!! What a numpty !!!

George doesn't mind a cat but he is heavy to pick up and its funny as Harvey the dog walker will always say - cat on the pier today LOL

Davidss - great idea, have lost a couple of maps over the side in strong winds so will definately bear that in mind

Hi Louise

Toms not a good mixer!! Not aggressive just moody with the occasional claw swipe. He fell in at the weekend we were around at friends on Dream Chaser when he saw him swimming around to us. He must have swam 15 - 20 meters when the island was about 10 ft away!!

Edited by Sarah and Ian

It also depends where you are. We have a long pole, a boat hook and two planks.

I use the pole often

I use the hook infrequently to recover my hat

I have never used the planks*

Quite the opposite with us.

The long shaft ("pole") is hardly ever used on Chalice, and Sickle still doesn't even have one.

The short shafts ("boat hooks") are in regular use, often used to grab the handrails of gates at wide locks that have drifted open as you enter, to save the long walk round.

Because Sickle has no weed hatch, the short shaft is a serious part of the armory when the prop gets fouled.

Despite everybody saying "you'll certainly need a plank on the Macc and Peak Forest", at no point did we. So far a plank has not really been useful anywhere on our journey up to Manchester and half way back. We did kind of put one out at Ansty, but it didn't really help a lot. I think they are over-rated!

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks again

Louise

We've never used ours :lol:

We rarely use the poles on our boat, and the last time we used the plank was four or five years ago when we moored amongst the reeds on the Braunston Puddlebanks, but I wouldn't ditch it in case we broke down and could not get close to the bank. After twelve years of it getting in the way and never bing used, I gave up carrying a life ring, although I would still carry it on a river.

The most used piece of equipment on our roof is the Keb, which is pressed into service on a regular basis, usually to retrieve stuff which other boaters have lost overboard.

Edited by David Schweizer