bow cabin extension

Featured Posts

Well I'm not normally that critical, but I really do think it's a bad mistake, also going through the constructtion photo's and comments, there's a lot more i would be worried about.

There's a photo full length of one side of the boat and no hatch doors aparrent there, the stern looks very short alhough can't see fully, but don't think it's a cruiser stern, could be wrong of course.

I suppose if you bunged some portholes in it and maybe a window of sorts over the gas locker as you suggested it might look a bit better, It would take a lot to convince me though. Your suggesttion of constructing itt like the one on Apollo Duck would have been a more sensible approach. The actual amount of space gained really is minimal taking into account the SS water tank and tapering in of the bow. Then the cost involved, I think rearrangement of the interior would be money much better spent to achieve more viable space.

I don't mean to offend the poster, as I siad it's his boat and he can do what he likes with it.

It just doesn't look right IMO and anyone considering doing this should give it much more thought IMO.

ETA apologies the poster does have a cruiser stern which he states in his original post.

You state that you are not normally that critical - sadly all I have read from you are very critical comments.

If you had anything valid to say it has unfortunately been lost because your comments have been so offensive.

It is a standard Liverpool Boats 57' WB and yes, we are planning to add portholes to either side. The project is not yet finished. We thought (possibly foolishly) that it might be of use to some or of interest to others to share what we were doing as we were doing it. The space gained is far from minimal and it is money well spent, but thats just IMO.

Well, I'll be. It's a Springer! :lol:

The dog of course

Edited to add: Is that dog wearing a pair of pink flowery knickers?;)

Yes, the dog is wearing a pair of pink flowery knickers. It was better than mopping up the blood. Thanks for your observation. :smiley_offtopic:

Some might even say it takes the whole concept of the "pig-ugly widebeam" to an entirely new level.

Yes, I read a thread on here about being talked out of buying a 'Pig Ugly WB' - its a shame that a forum such as this with a strong knowledge base can deteriorate into insults being hurled at strangers but then I guess thats the internet for you.

But thats just 'My Humble Opinion'. This phrase appears to be a get out clause for anyone to be offensive.

This is a discussion forum. Your opinion is equal to anyone else's, including Julynian's

Richard

Yes it is a discussion forum however I do not see the benefit of slinging insults around. Carbunkle, Pig Ugly and orrible to name a few.

I recently passed a boat (think it was about 45') with the front well enclosed. The roof extended over the well and the sides were glass. I am not sure whether it was a conversion or original but looked extremely good! They had decorated and furnished the area like a house 'sun room' with chairs, table and furnishings. I was really impressed and have even considered looking into that option but I have some reservations - it becomes difficult to get to the bow ropes and it is so pleasant sitting out in the open at the front of the boat in good weather when under way (quietly gliding through the countryside). So on the whole I think that I will stick to a cratch cover since I don't need more permanent indoor space. It does seem a good and viable solution though should you require that extra space.

John

Thank you Julynian but I (We) did not ask for your opinion yet you have given it several times.

On discussion forum such as this, as soon as anyone makes a post it does invite comments from other members, who will state their points of view in their on way and with varying degrees of frankness and tact. This applies to all of us, not just to you, so please don't feel singled out (or is it "doubled out"? I see that Fuel 2001 and yourself have the same boat name).

Many of us are always interested in new, different ideas for fitting out boats and utilising space to its best advantage. I don't find the exterior of your boat's pointy end especially handsome, but you live inside it, not outside it, and I can appreciate the benefit which the extra enclosed space gives you.

Edited by Athy

On discussion forum such as this, as soon as anyone makes a post it does invite comments from other members, who will state their points of view in their on way and with varying degrees of frankness and tact. This applies to all of us, not just to you, so please don't feel singled out (or is it "doubled out"? I see that Fuel 2001 and yourself have the same boat name).

Many of us are always interested in new, different ideas for fitting out boats and utilising space to its best advantage. I don't find the exterior of your boat's pointy end especially handsome, but you live inside it, not outside it, and I can appreciate the benefit which the extra enclosed space gives you.

Thanks Athy - we (Fuel 2001 and Myself) do not feel "doubled out' and indeed agree that this is a discussion forum where members vary in their ability to be frank and tactful (should that be tactless in this case?). But this kind of use of threads can be found all over this forum (and no doubt others) where someone posts a topic or asks a simple question and it very quickly descends into patronising and critical retorts and a sense of one-upmanship. For us it seems such a sad waste of this forum and the knowledge in it.

We posted our original question to get some thoughts however petty insults being slung about may have provided some mild entertainment for some but have been hurtful and unhelpful - dare I bother to bring feelings into this? Probably not.

As I have stated several times the exterior is far from finished. A blacksmith friend is coming to help get the finish right. The photos do not show the curves to the side panels, the paint has not been complete, the windows haven't been fully installed, the artwork isn't in place and nor is the headlamp and horn. All of these features will help 'calm down' its exterior.

I had considered cratch board and cover but this appeared impossible due to our location - I had also considered a glazed exterior (sun room type thing) but we obviously settled on a fully enclosed bow to maximise the inside space. This will be complimented next year but rearranging the current galley, saloon to allow us to increase the size of our daughters cabin.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Athy - we (Fuel 2001 and Myself) do not feel "doubled out' and indeed agree that this is a discussion forum where members vary in their ability to be frank and tactful (should that be tactless in this case?). But this kind of use of threads can be found all over this forum (and no doubt others) where someone posts a topic or asks a simple question and it very quickly descends into patronising and critical retorts and a sense of one-upmanship. For us it seems such a sad waste of this forum and the knowledge in it.

We posted our original question to get some thoughts however petty insults being slung about may have provided some mild entertainment for some but have been hurtful and unhelpful - dare I bother to bring feelings into this? Probably not.

As I have stated several times the exterior is far from finished. A blacksmith friend is coming to help get the finish right. The photos do not show the curves to the side panels, the paint has not been complete, the windows haven't been fully installed, the artwork isn't in place and nor is the headlamp and horn. All of these features will help 'calm down' its exterior.

I had considered cratch board and cover but this appeared impossible due to our location - I had also considered a glazed exterior (sun room type thing) but we obviously settled on a fully enclosed bow to maximise the inside space. This will be complimented next year but rearranging the current galley, saloon to allow us to increase the size of our daughters cabin.

You again continue to make an accusation of insult, I would like to know where any insult is you claim I have made.

You posted on a forum that has a right of reply as well as general comment. If you don't like criticism or opinion then I suggest you don't post on this forum or any other.

"We posted our original question to get some thoughts"

Well what I have stated are my thoughts and opinion, exactly as you requested. :wacko:

It simply doesn't look right IMO "simple as"

You again continue to make an accusation of insult, I would like to know where any insult is you claim I have made.

You posted on a forum that has a right of reply as well as general comment. If you don't like criticism or opinion then I suggest you don't post on this forum or any other.

Well what I have stated are my thoughts and opinion, exactly as you requested. :wacko:

Yes it is your opinion, yes you are allowed to share it and yes we can handle criticism. There are forums which feel more chilled than this one does now. I don't like forums where after asking a questions you leave feeling smashed up.

You do not believe that what you have posted is insulting so the conversation end here.

Considering i created the thread i thought i better actually post.

You went well off topic as the thoughts were about the actual concept of Losing the bow beck - i refer to the OP and it seems this thread has spiralled into something else.

If you think it doesnt look right that is a fair comment - its just some of the other comments made arent keeping within the context of the site rules.

As for 'right to reply or general comment' you might want to reacquaint yourself with http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules - Our aim is to provide a forum for focused, high quality discussion. We therefore request that with the exception of the Virtual Pub forum, all posts should be kept on topic and banter free. This facilitates quality discussion and is for the benefit of all members.

Moderators (Site Crew) reserve the right to close, edit or remove any topic or post without justification.........so you don't have the right to reply or general comment (good or bad) as your posts are owned by this forum, just like any other forum.

Yes, I read a thread on here about being talked out of buying a 'Pig Ugly WB' - its a shame that a forum such as this with a strong knowledge base can deteriorate into insults being hurled at strangers but then I guess thats the internet for you.

But thats just 'My Humble Opinion'. This phrase appears to be a get out clause for anyone to be offensive.

Well, I apologise if I offended you too. I've had to deal with the anti-widebeam crowd for a few years both on and off this forum so perhaps I've just got used to it. The trouble is that the knowledge base isn't actually that strong. If it were then some of these people might realise that their modern narrow boats with full length superstructures are no more "traditional" than any wide boat which were also a traditional feature of the broad canals. As for aesthetics, I happen to find widebeams more pleasing to my eye than oddly-proportioned narrowboats but that's just 'my humble opinion' :P.

Anyway, it's your boat so it's up to you what you do with it. However I would take the point about an escape hatch seriously. If your houdini hatch is within a few feet of your new bow bedroom then that's ok as long as the kids can reach it and know how to open it. Otherwise I really would have a hatch in the bow, especially with kids onboard.

Edited by blackrose

Wrong, your posts remain your own, just like any other forum.

Agree with being responsible for what you post, just like any other forum, but you dont own the space it occupies. This may be a pubic forum, but the reality is it is closed space. In signing up to any forum you sign away any certain rights and freedoms, posting or being able to comment is at the discretion of a mod, so it is not a right, it is a privilege.

Blackrose - thankyou for taking the time to respond to the original post and yes the houdini hatch is in that space so a small one can reach the hatch from the bed.

Edited by Fuel__2001

Considering i created the thread i thought i better actually post.

You went well off topic as the thoughts were about the actual concept of Losing the bow beck - i refer to the OP and it seems this thread has spiralled into something else.

If you think it doesnt look right that is a fair comment - its just some of the other comments made arent keeping within the context of the site rules.

As for 'right to reply or general comment' you might want to reacquaint yourself with http://www.canalworl...tion=boardrules - Our aim is to provide a forum for focused, high quality discussion. We therefore request that with the exception of the Virtual Pub forum, all posts should be kept on topic and banter free. This facilitates quality discussion and is for the benefit of all members.

Moderators (Site Crew) reserve the right to close, edit or remove any topic or post without justification.........so you don't have the right to reply or general comment (good or bad) as your posts are owned by this forum, just like any other forum.

Point 1. Not off topic at all.

Point 2. I see no sight rules being broken.

Point 3. That's exactly what the forum does.

Point 4. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Look up the word Forum please.

I would politely suggest that if you can't handle simple criticism or opinion, that you stop posting on forums.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Yes it is a discussion forum however I do not see the benefit of slinging insults around. Carbunkle, Pig Ugly and orrible to name a few.

I know a forum member who describes his own WB in exactly such a way. ...... his boat, he can describe it how he wants.

I know a forum member who describes his own WB in exactly such a way. ...... his boat, he can describe it how he wants.

Ive got a feeling that he wasn't the one who originally coined the expression and like me he's reclaimed a term of abuse and now uses it ironically about his own boat. It's a bit like how black guys address each other using the n-word. :P

Edited by blackrose