Boating from Penzance

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Given my recent illness, we made a possibly rash decision to book a holiday that didn't need a car. We SHOULD have being going to Italy for a week to borrow a friend's apartment, but this was predicated on hiring a car that I would drive. Val can drive (but has never driven either long distances or left hand drive), and the owner of the apartment said that public transport would work and he had bought the flat in that location because his wife can't drive and it does has bus services, but we decided against. It wouldn't have been the holiday we had planned and neither of us fancied trying to explain my health condition in an Italian hospital.

So Val booked a holiday cottage within five minutes walk of Penzance Station, and I've been exploring the public transport. For price X we can get advanced purchase tickets, for a bit more we get open tickets, for not very much more we get what I call "runabout" tickets that are valid for the whole of the south west (taking us from Frome and bringing us back)for 8 days in any 15 days. We can also get "runabout" tickets for the local bus company, in fact we could buy a ticket outside the house that would take us by bus from Frome to Penzance for £7, but we'd have to complete the journey in one day and that isn't possible.

We also found this

Fal boat trips

Somewhere there is a line "Sweeter that won in adversity". We are looking forward to this more than we were ever looking forward to our holiday in Italy

We have been on 'The Enterprise' many many times on family holidays in Cornwall over a good few more years than I care to remember, it's an enjoyable run...

St. Mawes is my favourite place in the UK.

Given my recent illness, we made a possibly rash decision to book a holiday that didn't need a car. We SHOULD have being going to Italy for a week to borrow a friend's apartment, but this was predicated on hiring a car that I would drive. Val can drive (but has never driven either long distances or left hand drive), and the owner of the apartment said that public transport would work and he had bought the flat in that location because his wife can't drive and it does has bus services, but we decided against. It wouldn't have been the holiday we had planned and neither of us fancied trying to explain my health condition in an Italian hospital.

So Val booked a holiday cottage within five minutes walk of Penzance Station, and I've been exploring the public transport. For price X we can get advanced purchase tickets, for a bit more we get open tickets, for not very much more we get what I call "runabout" tickets that are valid for the whole of the south west (taking us from Frome and bringing us back)for 8 days in any 15 days. We can also get "runabout" tickets for the local bus company, in fact we could buy a ticket outside the house that would take us by bus from Frome to Penzance for £7, but we'd have to complete the journey in one day and that isn't possible.

We also found this

Fal boat trips

Somewhere there is a line "Sweeter that won in adversity". We are looking forward to this more than we were ever looking forward to our holiday in Italy

The fal is stunning. I used to moor a boat there. Also St mawes by ferry.

The bus service can be a little unreliable, couldn't you hire a car once down there?

Hi! there are usually an assorted collection of interesting boats in Penzance "Wet Dock" which is only 5 min walk from Penzance Bus/Train train station, there used to be one or two live-aboard dutch barges there if i remmber rightly. Also i have done the cruise up the River Fal the scenery is beautiful, and just now i suspect there will be a few large cargo ships laid up in Fal so interesting viewing.

BS

and just now i suspect there will be a few large cargo ships laid up in Fal so interesting viewing.

Indeed - it is where some big ships get laid up when times get hard.

Indeed - it is where some big ships get laid up when times get hard.

They've being laying up ships up the Fal for 50 years or more, its very deep. Its amazing if you sail up the Fal getting narrower and quite twisty then suddenly there are three or four huge ocean going ships moored to buoys in the fairway.

They've being laying up ships up the Fal for 50 years or more, its very deep. Its amazing if you sail up the Fal getting narrower and quite twisty then suddenly there are three or four huge ocean going ships moored to buoys in the fairway.

We have even seen cruise liners laid up there.

I've lived in Truro virtually all my life and have done this journey hundreds of times. It always stays as good as the last time!

article-1304280-0AD71E52000005DC-124_634x407.jpg

That must be the King Harry Ferry in the fore ground! wonder how it got the name? anyone got an idea. Great Pic!

That must be the King Harry Ferry in the fore ground! wonder how it got the name? anyone got an idea. Great Pic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Harry_Ferry

It is likely that there has been a ferry of some description at the King Harry Passage for centuries, but there are conflicting stories about the origins of the name. One such story is that King Henry VIII spent his honeymoon with Anne Boleyn at St Mawes, and signed a charter for the ferry on this site. A more likely origin lies in the fact that a small chapel formerly stood on the Philleigh side of the passage. All that remains of this today is a small pile of stones, but is mentioned in 1528 as "The Chapel of St. Mary and King Henry", commemorating King Henry VI, murdered in 1471.[2]

• 2 weeks later...

I live 30 minutes drive from Falmouth, and am a keen kayaker. I've explored all of the creeks and inlets of the River Fal and its tributaries many times.

The Fal is one of the cheapest places in the world to lay up boats - the dues pass to the Truro Harbour Commissioners. There are always shipping movements up and down the river Fal according to the demand on the ships moored there, and predictably enough on the state of the global economy.

I'm pleased to report that currently there are only 3 ships up there (2 weeks ago - things may have changed). The photo above does show the state of lay-ups about 18 months ago - it was like a ship's car park up there (I'm sure you know what I mean!!)

Enterprise boats are a popular sight throughout the river, and run an excellent service. In an attempt to emulate London, and with a typically Cornish humour, instead of an Oystercard you can buy a Musselcard to pay for trips all over the river and surrounding towns. Clever eh!

Andy

We also found this

Fal boat trips

Hope you enjoy, MP.

I went on that trip boat years ago - 1976 I think. Brilliant trip.

National Maritime Museum in Falmouth is well worth a visit, too.

Our draughter has just finished her Uni studies in Falmouth, so we ended up visiting quite a few times including a trips up the Fal and another to St Maws, both were throughly enjoyed and recommended. The sight of the large ocean going ship moored up up the Fal is unbeliveable as they are initally hidden from view. St Maws is also highly recommended, spend a day there by water taxi.

have a good holiday