New Widebeam

DeanS

Featured Posts

I pick up my new widebeam shell tomorrow morning :)

Thanks to all who have given me so much free advice thus far.

My fit out project begins tomorrow evening...I strip back the sprayfoam. I asked for extra foam to be applied, which means I now have a more difficult task of cutting it back, but worth it in the end.

Empty shell. Family are moving on board in about 2 weeks, so LOTS to do to make that possible :)

Will update blog along the way. New name of boat will be ..."Getting There Slowly". ;-)

My wife did the sums and discovered we are now completely broke. There's hardly enough to buy a bag of screws. Luckily though, I've been spending all our money on plumbing pipe, wood, mattresses, etc in the past few weeks, so I have enough to get on with before hopefully needing to buy something.

I'm also single handing the widebeam into Manchester, and should have the family helping up the Rochdale9.

It's going to be 24degrees apparently. Hat, lotion and sunglasses I think.

Dean - I take my hat off to you but a blog without pictures just ain't a blog....

Good luck though...

The pics will start tomorrow :) What was I supposed to take pics of up to now....it's all inside my head :)

The pics will start tomorrow :) What was I supposed to take pics of up to now....it's all inside my head :)

Sorry - I thought you had a shell being delivered shortly...

Somebody made it surely?

I pick up my new widebeam shell tomorrow morning :)

Thanks to all who have given me so much free advice thus far.

My fit out project begins tomorrow evening...I strip back the sprayfoam. I asked for extra foam to be applied, which means I now have a more difficult task of cutting it back, but worth it in the end.

Empty shell. Family are moving on board in about 2 weeks, so LOTS to do to make that possible :)

Will update blog along the way. New name of boat will be ..."Getting There Slowly". ;-)

My wife did the sums and discovered we are now completely broke. There's hardly enough to buy a bag of screws. Luckily though, I've been spending all our money on plumbing pipe, wood, mattresses, etc in the past few weeks, so I have enough to get on with before hopefully needing to buy something.

I'm also single handing the widebeam into Manchester, and should have the family helping up the Rochdale9.

It's going to be 24degrees apparently. Hat, lotion and sunglasses I think.

I hope your nice and strong Dean if your picking it up or you'll do your back in. You can't carry em about like a Coracle yer know. :unsure:

Sorry - I thought you had a shell being delivered shortly...

Somebody made it surely?

Yep. Nothing bespoke about my boat. I viewed a few shells in their yard, and placed an order. I sat back till they said my shell was ready, and I drive it off tomorrow. I know all the specs, asked for extra spray foam, and a bigger alternator. I'll be paying the bank back, but the way I see it, we would have been paying rent to someone...and this way, if I ever sell it, it'll be cash in my pocket instead of someone elses. Doubt that will ever happen though...cant stand the thought of moving back onto land.

Yep. Nothing bespoke about my boat. I viewed a few shells in their yard, and placed an order. I sat back till they said my shell was ready, and I drive it off tomorrow. I know all the specs, asked for extra spray foam, and a bigger alternator. I'll be paying the bank back, but the way I see it, we would have been paying rent to someone...and this way, if I ever sell it, it'll be cash in my pocket instead of someone elses. Doubt that will ever happen though...cant stand the thought of moving back onto land.

Good luck with it all Dean?

Dave and Doreen

New name of boat will be ..."Getting There Slowly". ;-)

Are you doing the signwriting yourself? If you have to pay by the letter that's an expensive writing job. Short names are much cheaper :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

Are you doing the signwriting yourself? If you have to pay by the letter that's an expensive writing job. Short names are much cheaper :rolleyes:

It's shorter than the last boat which is AreWeThereYet :)

I had to put something down for the insurance docs, but told wife the kids can call it anything they like. :) And...I couldnt think of anything shorter :)

Thanks for the kind words folks :)

It's shorter than the last boat which is AreWeThereYet :)

I had to put something down for the insurance docs, but told wife the kids can call it anything they like. :) And...I couldnt think of anything shorter :)

Thanks for the kind words folks :)

There is a boat here on the Middle Level called "It" you don't get much shorter than that.

We went past a brand new widebeam, and two new narrowboats, all in grey primer, in the Bridgewater canal just before we got to the Barnowl pub last week. Have we seen your new boat before you have??????

...........Dave

good luck with the fit out and the rochdale, isnt that the one with lots of locks? good idea about the alternator my next project is a bigger on and an extra leisure battery! :wacko:

The Rochdale 9 are the locks which start at Castlefield basin in Manchester, and climb up through the centre of the city to Picadilly Basin. 20mins to walk. 3-4hrs in a boat, with the hardest lock gears...really stiff to turn the windlass...and lots of overflowing gates, making it hard to empty a lock to open the bottom gates....but I love the trip...it's become home turf...:)

We went past a brand new widebeam, and two new narrowboats, all in grey primer, in the Bridgewater canal just before we got to the Barnowl pub last week. Have we seen your new boat before you have??????

...........Dave

If you saw it before 2pm today, then yes..lol. You might have seen me climbing around it this afternoon...poking sprayfoam, and looking with a glazed look into the very complicated engine hole....the most important question I could ask them was.....what thread is on that pipe sticking out the water tank :)

ETA...just read that you saw it last week.....it was actually put into the water on the 3rdAug, but management were away till the 7th and I saw it today:)

Edited by DeanS

Dean, I'm fairly local to Castlefield (well two or three miles but a free tram ride away).

If you want a hand working up the Nine give me a shout.

Hi John. You're a gentleman, but no worries. I've done the Rochdale9 a few times and the family will be there to watch, assist. It's a bit of an adventure for them, as we haven't been boating much this year, with all the boat selling/buying/repacking :)

Nice one Dean,it might be 24deg tomorrow but when it starts getting colder at least yer can light thee stove.

I'd wear sunglasses, but I cant see anything from the back of the widebeam as it is, and sunglasses will definately drop visibility to about 5% :)

Boat picked up this morning, cruised from Lymm to Castlefield/Manchester...up the Rochdale 9, and safe into the marina. Fit out pics begin tomorrow, but pics of my lady on the blog., (SWMBO, not the boat). Job 1 = cutting back the sprayfoam....I start tomorrow.

IMG_5022.JPG