hire boat sunk in lock

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

well apparently the child opened the bottom paddles and the back fender got stuck on the cill, thats all we know for now, assessors are here now.

Edited by goodboy

Saw the update on Twitter. Not good at all, so how did it happen?

I would appreciate any updates on when this is expected to be cleared, we are due to go through there on Thursday.

we are at the lock so will keep you updated as/when things happen.

Nice pic!

Anyone going to hazard a guess at how they did it? :unsure:

We are in the queue for that lock and we were told that they got the bow stuck on the gate going down.

It'll probably take some time to get things sorted, the C&RT people say they have two options: pump the water out of the boat, but then they need a bigger pump, and it may take a while to get one here, the other option is to dewater te pound below the lock.

Luckily no one was hurt, the people of that boat have gone home by taxi. What a fightening way to end a holiday.

And what a sorry sight to see a boat in that situation

Helen

We are in the queue for that lock and we were told that they got the bow stuck on the gate going down.

It'll probably take some time to get things sorted, the C&RT people say they have two options: pump the water out of the boat, but then they need a bigger pump, and it may take a while to get one here, the other option is to dewater te pound below the lock.

Luckily no one was hurt, the people of that boat have gone home by taxi. What a fightening way to end a holiday.

And what a sorry sight to see a boat in that situation

Helen

My thoughts exactly, a very sad end to a holiday.

On the options to rescue the boat depending on how big the pound is it may be 6 of one and a half dozen of he other as to what is the quickest method. It may take a while to get the pump there but it will also take a while to drain the pound then refill once the boat is out. Thus either way it will be some hours before boats are moving again.

Could the lock be sealed then pumped out, then refilled once the boat is capable of floating, or would the water pressure on the lower gates be detrimental to the locks health?

From memory, these locks have stop plank groves at both ends, of course whether they have stop planks to go in 'em is another matter!

these are thier pumps. 20120730_132119.jpg

Unless they can seal off all the doors properly they will need a much larger pump than that or

have they several.

ps Just spotted the other two small ones. Sealed off doors and they should do by poking the suction pipes through the window top vents.

Edited by bizzard

From memory, these locks have stop plank groves at both ends, of course whether they have stop planks to go in 'em is another matter!

yes they have planks in place at both ends but have a problem with leaks at the side which they bunged up with black bags.

Unless they can seal off all the doors properly they will need a much larger pump than that or

have they several.

ps Just spotted the other two small ones. Sealed off doors and they should do by poking the suction pipes through the window top vents.

I doubt whether the submersible pump will go through a widow vent though. Have to lower it down through the rear slide hatch.

I doubt whether the submersible pump will go through a widow vent though. Have to lower it down through the rear slide hatch.

Pair of waders, crawl inside and shove the outlet hose through a window...I know, I ran exactly the same pump at the weekend for the same purpose

Edited by TheKeymeister

Pair of waders, crawl inside and shove the outlet hose through a window...I know, I ran exactly the same pump at the weekend for the same purpose

Yes those submersible pumps are more powerful than they look. And they need to be powerful enough to beat water entering through sink and shower wastes ect as well as other leaks around doors ect.

Edited by bizzard

Yes those submersible pumps are more powerful than they look. And they need to be powerful enough to beat water entering through sink and shower wastes ect as well as other leaks around doors ect.

50 gallons a minute! Weighs a ton though, and the outlet hose looks more like a fire hose