After the games

The Maestro

Featured Posts

Once the Olympics are over, will we be able to take our boats onto the park waterways?

If you mean the aquatics centre, then no :-)

1232212_M02.jpg

Ed to get that in next: then to say that there have been mutterings of restoring CarpentersRoad Lock as part of the Olympic Legacy. And of course ThreeMills Lock now creates some extra not-tidal waters. Probably best to allow 2012 to be complete before planning a long trip!

Edited by PeterScott

I seem to remember reading that it would be 2014 before all the Olympic site waterways would be open for cruising.....and you will probably find that 50% of moorings are reserved for the Olympic family and vacant.

Edited by matty40s

FWIW the Water Chariots are a rip roaring success as predicted. Got a mate who lives in the flats next to the landing stage. We haven't seen any boats 'til yesterday.

No passengers seen as of yet. Anyone after a good unlined sailaway could do worse to wait til October, coz I can't see this *cough* legacy lasting for much longer after then.

FWIW the Water Chariots are a rip roaring success as predicted. Got a mate who lives in the flats next to the landing stage. We haven't seen any boats 'til yesterday.

No passengers seen as of yet. Anyone after a good unlined sailaway could do worse to wait til October, coz I can't see this *cough* legacy lasting for much longer after then.

Thanks for the heads up...now that has to be worth a thread of it's own i reckon !

Out of curiosity i have been on their site and tried a few permutations of ticket availability and number etc and from what i can gather

they have pretty much empty boats right the way through.

Got to say it serves the greedy buggers right, maybe if they had kept the tickets costs sensibly priced then they wouldn't be looking at

making a horrendous loss.

I don't know how I can post it, but I've got a document describing the proposals for the olympic park waterways after the games. It's an 80meg pdf file if anyone's interested and can think of a way I can send it.

I don't know whether the water chariots will end up losing money, but I suspect somebody will. There seems to have been about half a million of taxpayer's money gone into it so far, and that's just for during the games. I suspect there's more money going into trying to persuade them to keep running some kind of service afterwards too.

I don't know whether the water chariots will end up losing money, but I suspect somebody will. There seems to have been about half a million of taxpayer's money gone into it so far, and that's just for during the games. I suspect there's more money going into trying to persuade them to keep running some kind of service afterwards too.
BBC report here has nowt about public money being used - and both BW and ODA denying any influence on pricing - which presumably they would have had if they had contributed any money.

BBC report here has nowt about public money being used - and both BW and ODA denying any influence on pricing - which presumably they would have had if they had contributed any money.

There's a report here about the first £300k being put in. For some reason, they aren't exactly shouting from the rooftops about the rest of it, so I can't find a link.

There's a report here about the first £300k being put in. For some reason, they aren't exactly shouting from the rooftops about the rest of it, so I can't find a link.

Bending the topic a little. the link refers to an aim to "secure more restaurants, shops, cafes & other amenities."

No manufacturing/ innovating stuff to generate the primary wealth to spend in same?

taslim.

Ahh the irony of that statement. Haringey took money that was allocated to another a local project and diverted it to Water Chariots without consulting boaters or local residents.

Anyway, got one thing to say about creating a Camden in the East. Tobacco Dock. Anyone remember that?

My link

Ahh the irony of that statement. Haringey took money that was allocated to another a local project and diverted it to Water Chariots without consulting boaters or local residents.

Anyway, got one thing to say about creating a Camden in the East. Tobacco Dock. Anyone remember that?

My link

Remember going around Tobacco Dock when it first opened as a shopping centre and it really is a stunning building but unfortunately in the wrong place.

Hopefully the redevelopment of the adjacent Ex News International Wapping printing works next door will kick start something happening.

Tim

Once the Olympics are over, will we be able to take our boats onto the park waterways?

I was in the Olympic Park yesterday and have high hopes of hooning around it in my boat at some point soon. The wildflower plantings and sanitised canals make the whole thing look very lovely and inviting indeed.

My link

What a splendid building! Thanks for the link, I had not heard of it before. I hope that it flourishes again soon. For the meantime, thank goodness that it hasn't been knocked down and replaced by something gherkin-shaped.

I was in the Olympic Park yesterday and have high hopes of hooning around it in my boat at some point soon. The wildflower plantings and sanitised canals make the whole thing look very lovely and inviting indeed.

kapoor.jpg