Fiat engine? & unused bow thrusters?

Gav

Featured Posts

while shopping for boats I have looked at some boats, one is steel and has a 2L Fiat engine which has hardly been used much and needs some servicing. I'm no expert in boats but I dont associate Fiat with boats or marine engines? anyone know what it might be and reliability etc

Also same boat has had bow thrusters installed by previous owners. Present owners have never used them or hardly moved boat in fact for about 6 years. What problems can I expect after so long unused?

gav

while shopping for boats I have looked at some boats, one is steel and has a 2L Fiat engine which has hardly been used much and needs some servicing. I'm no expert in boats but I dont associate Fiat with boats or marine engines? anyone know what it might be and reliability etc

Also same boat has had bow thrusters installed by previous owners. Present owners have never used them or hardly moved boat in fact for about 6 years. What problems can I expect after so long unused?

gav

Can't help with the FIAT. Hope it's not a punto engine.

I've got a bowthruster and just turn it over, every so often. Likelyhood is, you'll probably not miss it if it doesn't work.

Assuming it's an electric bow thruster:

I'd guess if they haven't had the BT batteries on charge they might be knackered - although if they take the boat out regularly and the BT batteries get a charge from an alternator they might be ok. I've also heard that a BT motor can seize if it's not used for a long time.

Why not just ask them to press the button to see if it works?

Edited by blackrose

Don't worry about the bow thruster it's Fiat engine,walk away.

Care to explain the problems with Fiat engines?

My experience from my days in the motor trade was that the actual engines in Fiats weren't too bad, it was more the electrics and the rest of the car around it.........

Care to explain the problems with Fiat engines?

I personally have never heard of or even thought of putting fiat engine in a canal boat,therefore I would consider the rest of the boat not well thought out either.You probably have a Fiat car, you bought that car knowing it had a Fiat engine thats your decision.Now would you think of putting that engine in your canal boat,no I thought not.Personally I would not want to put anything other than a recognised marine engine in a canal boat.Most car derived engines are not useful on a boat unless you got it for nothing.Which brings me to the point I was making it has a FIAT ENGINE RUN AWAY.

I personally have never heard of or even thought of putting fiat engine in a canal boat,therefore I would consider the rest of the boat not well thought out either.You probably have a Fiat car, you bought that car knowing it had a Fiat engine thats your decision.Now would you think of putting that engine in your canal boat,no I thought not.Personally I would not want to put anything other than a recognised marine engine in a canal boat.Most car derived engines are not useful on a boat unless you got it for nothing.Which brings me to the point I was making it has a FIAT ENGINE RUN AWAY.

Nope your wrong.

I would do a bit more digging about the history of the engine, if you can find out what engine it is, and how it came to be there. If it had been used regularly and appeared to work fine i would be far less worried that if as appears to be the case, its actually never really been used.

That said, whats the price of having it re-engined? If the price is right and you like the boat, its all ways an option if the current engine doesnt work out long-term

Daniel.

NOT A CAR DERIVED ENGINE!!

Fiat dont just make cars and automotive engines.

http://www.rgcengineers.co.uk/upload/Fiat%20F140.jpg

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212004

Daniel

Bowten, I had you down as a person who likes new ideas, forward thinking and all that. Would you care to tell us about the virtues of the style of bow on your boat?

ttyy.jpg

Is that the bow??

....surely someones someones nicked the tiller??

• Greenie 1

Bowten, I had you down as a person who likes new ideas, forward thinking and all that. Would you care to tell us about the virtues of the style of bow on your boat?

ttyy.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6lzMdlhujWo/UBRD2YefBVI/AAAAAAAAAYM/GHiK5e6WR2s/s800/ScreenShot173.jpgScreenShot173.jpgNow show us the exterior and interior views of the boat you built.

Come now don't be shy,show us all the boat that travis built.

Is that the bow??

....surely someones someones nicked the tiller??

Perhaps one should go to specsavers and by the way any piccies of your very own boat build.Never mind this post was about a car derived engine in a boat so lets not change the subject.

There was someone on here a couple of months back asking about a round bowed narrowboat. There is also one in Outwell.

This is not a narrowboat.Anything else I can help you with?

The boat is being built Aintree boats,they build quite alot,people seem to like them.However no one has asked as yet for a car derived engine to be fitted, Fiat or otherwise.If they did I would run.See where I am coming from or do you prefer dodgy motors.

Edited by bowten

Thanks for the comments - and bow pictures? :blink:

Anyone know what engine fitting is like, time or costs even. Its a dutch steel cruiser btw. It could be a point to talk the price down.

I personally have never heard of or even thought of putting fiat engine in a canal boat,therefore I would consider the rest of the boat not well thought out either.

Maybe they hadn't heard of you either.

http://www.powertechengines.com/IvecoMarine.html

Apparently they started making them in 1909.

Edited by Chris Pink

F.I.A.T = Fix It Again Tomorrow!

Our Punto engine stripped the cylinder head threads on its engine mounts, and the sump rusted through from the outside - Not bad for such an abused little car, it had an unbelievably hard life!

I wouldnt just drop one in a boat - but I don't see why it couldnt be engineered to work, given time, money and enthusiasm! (A better sump would be first on the list!)