Calf Heath to Hockley Port

Featured Posts

My Daughter is planning to move the boat over to Hockley port at the end of July. I see we have a number of locks at Wolverhampton ( Ahem.. just a few & we haven't done this stretch before) is there a better way to go or a good way to tackle these - ie How long are they likely to take us to get through, should we plan to moor up in front and launch an early morning assault on them? Are the gates easy to move & is there much room beteen locks -Given that there will only be a geriatric (me)to help, her & a nine week old baby on board.

They're not that difficult, there isn't really a better route.Most of the locks are just an easy short walk apart, although the total adds up to a couple of miles. Last time we went up them it took us 3 and a half hours so I'd suggest you allow a generous half-day so you don't feel rushed.

Going via Wolverhampton, 24 locks (21 at Wolves) unless you choose to muck about on the BCN, my recommendation would be up the 21, Old Main Line, down Smethwick. Odana may well say I am nuts but I did this in her boat from Calf Heath, on my own, in about 8 hours, certainly only one day, as in woke up in Calf Heath and went abed at Hockley Port.

Other ways are more scenic but a heck of a lot longer: depends whether the intention is to move the boat or go for a cruise :cheers:

If you have a good team on the locks and not too many other boats about they can be done in a couple of hours (well, if you're Team Sickle in the pouring rain). They're a dead easy flight to work. It is worth rounding up a couple of extra people to help though if time is of the essence.

Not an expert on the rest of it but will say that a couple of weeks ago the Old Main Line was choked with weed and the New was much quicker (i.e. Cyprus left Birmingham the same time as us and arrived at the Wolverhampton locks five hours after us)

You could go the Stourbridge way instead

Richard

That's a LOT more locks and also includes Netherton Tunnel.

The Wolverhampton 21 are pretty close together except for the bottom 2 or 3.

You have the choice of going down 3 locks at Factory (Tipton) and along the New Main Line or continuing along the Old Main Line to descend 3 locks at Smethwick (or other routes via Brades or Spon Lane). Not a lot to choose between them although the NML below Factory is very straight. ISTR someone reported problems with weed on the OML recently.

Hockley Port is on the Soho/Winson Green Loop (which runs alongside the prison), so don't miss the turn. Although if you do you can always enter the loop at the other end - one of the few proper crossroads on the canal system.

Its about a day overall.

David

Thanks for the input folks, around three/ half hours isn't too bad, somehow I got the idea it was an all day job! We have to fit in with feeding junior, when he's hungry he's hungry- HALF AN HOUR AGO!!! I didn't want to risk getting stuck half way up ( or down- whichever they are)as such, we were planning a gentle two day saunter. We can't muster any extra crew that week, but if anyone's going the same way about the same time, maybe we could help each other out. Cheshire Rose is planning a move too, but I seem to recall that she's going the following Friday.

Thanks for the input folks, around three/ half hours isn't too bad, somehow I got the idea it was an all day job! We have to fit in with feeding junior, when he's hungry he's hungry- HALF AN HOUR AGO!!! I didn't want to risk getting stuck half way up ( or down- whichever they are)as such, we were planning a gentle two day saunter. We can't muster any extra crew that week, but if anyone's going the same way about the same time, maybe we could help each other out. Cheshire Rose is planning a move too, but I seem to recall that she's going the following Friday.

We're usually good for a massed assault on the 21, but sadly we're not around that week.

If the sprog is that hungry, there is/was a good bacon butty wagon in the factory estate on the right about 3/4's of the way up. We managed to go into the lock and whilst filling it slowly one of us went and collected them before the lock was full.

My Daughter is planning to move the boat over to Hockley port at the end of July. I see we have a number of locks at Wolverhampton ( Ahem.. just a few & we haven't done this stretch before) is there a better way to go or a good way to tackle these - ie How long are they likely to take us to get through, should we plan to moor up in front and launch an early morning assault on them? Are the gates easy to move & is there much room beteen locks -Given that there will only be a geriatric (me)to help, her & a nine week old baby on board.

How odd! We plan to move Carrie~Lou from Calf Heath to Hockley port too! I am planning to head up there on 10th August though. There was some talk that Lemontoes might also be headed up that way at around that time and I think she has managed to secure the services of an excellent lockwheeler to accompany her. I was hoping that I might tag along with them as otherwise I will be single handing Carrie~Lou! How fixed is your date for going up there? I am wondering if a bit of shuffling and a few phone calls might mean we have ourselves a convoy?

I thought Lemontoes was planning to camp it up that weekend?? I offered her the spare bed if we got the boat there - which seems more than likely -( Oi! Lemony, what you up to then?)

Odana had better be there - or else...... I'm not at liberty to say why... But shotguns could figure in it! B)

Rose, can't move the week before, 'cos Claire's away from 6th-12th, she was moving it early for my benefit ( Well- so that I could be within reach of the Mailbox, on account of these two local celebrities putting on a show )

Graham, the sprog might well enjoy bacon butties from there at some future point, but for the moment- he's only at gumming-it-to-death mode :lol:

I thought Lemontoes was planning to camp it up that weekend?? I offered her the spare bed if we got the boat there - which seems more than likely -( Oi! Lemony, what you up to then?)

Lemony is coming by boat with Jonny and myself as crew - we'll be picking Cheshire~rose and Carrie~lou up as we pass

HJ,

When it comes to doing lock flights, boat peeps seem to have a bit of a 'fisherman' thing going on (y'know, the fish was <<<<<THIS>>>>>> big). People proudly announce how quickly they get through but with a slight tendency to exaggerate, ever so slightly, I suspect ;)

My own experience of ascending the Wolverhampton 21 on the way to the Lapworth banter was that it took me 4 hours exactly, solo, going at it in the way blokes tend to. I suspect you and daughter with baby to look after will find it takes a whole lot longer unless you happen to pick up some unexpected help on the way.

If you can let me know a date I'll probably be able to confirm I can come up and lockwheel you through. In fact if you announce a date and time I bet half a dozen peeps will actually turn up and whizz you through!

Mike

I think it took Sheila and I just over 4 hours, including the butty stop. That was just the two of us doing about three locks each then swapping over.

We'd moored at Autherley the night before and probably left late (Sheila doesn't do early), stopped to do some shopping in Tipton, and got to The BCM in time to get a pint in the Museum pub before they closed

(They allowed us in for nothing as long as we only went to the pub. Had a proper tour the next day)

Thanks for the offer Mike. If you're in the area that would be great.

I keep inputing places & getting different times on Canalplanner. So far, it looks like 2hrs 45mins to Wolverhampton bottom lock. If we plan to do this bit on Tuesday 31st, that puts us in line to do the locks Wed 1st morning. I'm just getting in a dither 'cos junior often only goes three hours between feeds (he's huge!!)so if we can get him fed and FULL by 9ish, we might just get through a four hour stint, we can always stop and do the remainder Thursday, it's just hard planning round feeding an ever open pit! :lol:

Edit; Forgot to say Mike. Got that Alde boiler Chap you suggested,coming out on the 30th to look at & fix ours - he thinks it may be a failure on the boiler thermostat. Will keep you updated!

Edited by headjog

Python will be heading up that way as well but earlier than everyone else it seems. We plan to get from Autherley Junction up to The Black Country Museum on 21st August then on to Cambrian Wharf the next day.

Sadly this means that my crew are unlikely to be able to assist any of you who are appealing for help on your route but if there are people willing to help then I am sure my crew will happily offer a cuppa along the way :)

Don't forget to come and introduce yourselves if you see us on our travels down the Shroppie, up through Birmigham and out to Fazeley before heading up The Coventry

Thanks for the offer Mike. If you're in the area that would be great.

I keep inputing places & getting different times on Canalplanner. So far, it looks like 2hrs 45mins to Wolverhampton bottom lock. If we plan to do this bit on Tuesday 31st, that puts us in line to do the locks Wed 1st morning. I'm just getting in a dither 'cos junior often only goes three hours between feeds (he's huge!!)so if we can get him fed and FULL by 9ish, we might just get through a four hour stint, we can always stop and do the remainder Thursday, it's just hard planning round feeding an ever open pit! :lol:

Ok you're in my diary! And I'll confirm with you nearer the time too. If needs be I can work you through totally while you and daughter look after the babything :)

Edit; Forgot to say Mike. Got that Alde boiler Chap you suggested,coming out on the 30th to look at & fix ours - he thinks it may be a failure on the boiler thermostat. Will keep you updated!

Ah cool! From his website I reckon he knows his stuff, so we'll see!

Mike

HJ,

When it comes to doing lock flights, boat peeps seem to have a bit of a 'fisherman' thing going on (y'know, the fish was <<<<<THIS>>>>>> big). People proudly announce how quickly they get through but with a slight tendency to exaggerate, ever so slightly, I suspect ;)

My own experience of ascending the Wolverhampton 21 on the way to the Lapworth banter was that it took me 4 hours exactly, solo, going at it in the way blokes tend to. I suspect you and daughter with baby to look after will find it takes a whole lot longer unless you happen to pick up some unexpected help on the way.

If you can let me know a date I'll probably be able to confirm I can come up and lockwheel you through. In fact if you announce a date and time I bet half a dozen peeps will actually turn up and whizz you through!

Mike

Alan will confirm that we (Alan, Catrin, PB and I) got Sickle* up in under two hours on a wet Sunday morning in April. The locks were against us but that didn't make a difference because PB was setting ahead. Catrin and I were working them (and we did get a pretty good rhythm going) while Alan steered and fiddled with the stove. :P

In contract, PB and I on our own, going down, on a windy afternoon last month with lots of other people about, took over three hours to get to lock 17 and gave up for the day.

The lesson is, go when there's no one about and have four people on the job.

*And a tug deck helps.

Edited by Chertsey

*And a tug deck helps.

Will a tug on the forlock suffice instead?

Cheers Mike, if you make it great! - don't worry if not or you're too busy, we'll be fine , I just do worrying- it's programmed in.. :(

Alan will confirm that we (Alan, Catrin, PB and I) got Sickle* up in under two hours on a wet Sunday morning in April. The locks were against us but that didn't make a difference because PB was setting ahead. Catrin and I were working them (and we did get a pretty good rhythm going) while Alan steered and fiddled with the stove. :P

In contract, PB and I on our own, going down, on a windy afternoon last month with lots of other people about, took over three hours to get to lock 17 and gave up for the day.

The lesson is, go when there's no one about and have four people on the job.

*And a tug deck helps.

I agree, mob handed makes an incredible difference.

But someone near the start of the thread said something to suggest they thought HeadJog would get up the W21 in about 3 1/2 hours. I wa attempting to suggest this is highly unlikely as daughter will be preoccupied with babything and HeadJog will end up effectively single handing. I bet I'm faster up a lock flight solo than HeadJog, and the W21 took me four hours!

Anyway HJ, you can worry as much as you like ;) You're in my diary and I'll be there to lockwheel you up :)

Mike