FENDERS

Timx

Featured Posts

Recently hired a boat that instead of the traditional rope fender at the front, just had a rubber fender which was part of the flow line at the front of the boat, which seemed sensible shorter and diminished risk of snagging in locks.surely this is the way forward, if not old school, am I wrong.???

Recently hired a boat that instead of the traditional rope fender at the front, just had a rubber fender which was part of the flow line at the front of the boat, which seemed sensible shorter and diminished risk of snagging in locks.surely this is the way forward, if not old school, am I wrong.???

Probably a Black prince boat, let into the stempost.

Yes, for purely practical purposes this has always looked like a good idea and I wonder why it's not more widely used (Viking also have them, for another example).

Is it perhaps because builders assume purchasers would want a more traditional look, or it's relatively expensive to do? Is it a rust trap, and expensive to replace? Is it actually as effective at absorbing impact as a traditional fender?

Yes, for purely practical purposes this has always looked like a good idea and I wonder why it's not more widely used (Viking also have them, for another example).

Is it perhaps because builders assume purchasers would want a more traditional look, or it's relatively expensive to do? Is it a rust trap, and expensive to replace? Is it actually as effective at absorbing impact as a traditional fender?

My guess is that it reduces the potential resale market of the boat.

Richard

My guess is that it reduces the potential resale market of the boat.

Richard

Granted, but so does a trad stern, old engine, purple paintwork etc. You would think the would be enough people out there who would appreciate the advantages, if it does work as well as a traditional fender. After all, ex hire boats do sell, and re-sell. Maybe it's because it's associated withbhireboats and people are (assumed to be) snobbish about them?

It does to boats what plastic bumpers did to MG's

'orrible.....

I agree they are not pretty, but neither are semitrads.... Thare are so many boats that are not aesthetically pleasing and/or would not suit purists of various sorts, that do get built and bought, that it seems odd that this one particular, seemingly very practical, measure is not more widely adopted. Not suggesting they be stuck on the front of a 1912 josher or or a Norton Canes boat (for example) but for a boat that's already ugly, why not? Got to be better than a rotting rope fender dangling off with nettles growing out of it...

They are a bugger to fit, unless the stempost was designed for it. The front of the stem needs to be flat. Then you have to drill and tap the stem, or have internal access for nuts, for some fairly substantial bolts. Most boatbuilders CBA as it is at least more difficult than welding on chain links as fender eyes. Each bolt then has to have a hole in the right place in the back of the rubber D and another larger one in the front so as to tighten it. The big holes in the front look cr@p, so have to be plugged. More PITA.

Then, once it is fitted, if it gets a side swipe (like hitting a partly open gate, or a wide lock gate) the bolts are prone to pulling through. This means either extra holes front and rear or fitting a repair washer into the D section through the hole on the front.

The alternative is the BP solution with 'wings' on either side of the rubber and bolts from left to right through the flat bit of rubber at the back. This is extra work for the fabricators, and is durable, but screams 'hire boat' so is not for the washer josher brigade.

Anyway, why would anyone want a front fender permanently fitted? It just encourages the steerer to be less worried about hitting things! :blush:

N

They are a bugger to fit, unless the stempost was designed for it. The front of the stem needs to be flat. Then you have to drill and tap the stem, or have internal access for nuts, for some fairly substantial bolts. Most boatbuilders CBA as it is at least more difficult than welding on chain links as fender eyes. Each bolt then has to have a hole in the right place in the back of the rubber D and another larger one in the front so as to tighten it. The big holes in the front look cr@p, so have to be plugged. More PITA.

Then, once it is fitted, if it gets a side swipe (like hitting a partly open gate, or a wide lock gate) the bolts are prone to pulling through. This means either extra holes front and rear or fitting a repair washer into the D section through the hole on the front.

The alternative is the BP solution with 'wings' on either side of the rubber and bolts from left to right through the flat bit of rubber at the back. This is extra work for the fabricators, and is durable, but screams 'hire boat' so is not for the washer josher brigade.

Anyway, why would anyone want a front fender permanently fitted? It just encourages the steerer to be less worried about hitting things! :blush:

N

That all sounds very complex. I saw one recently where the fender was a heavy duty D-shaped rubber tube, fitted between 'wings' and held on by a chain down thw middle of the tube. This was anchored to the hull at the bottom. At the top the fender curved over the bow and down a suitable shaped hole in the deck. I assume the top end of the chain was anchored off in the gas locker.

Edited by David Mack