Centre rope length?

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Having only been boating for a year and only properly getting to grips with locks of various types this year due to being stuck between Foxton and Watford for much of last year,ive a question about how long my centre rope should be? I thought the rule of thumb is that it shouldnt reach the prop if dropped into the water,this however makes it awkward when going through broad locks when i want to run the rope around a bollard to steady the boat.When descending locks i run the rope around a bollard and hold the end,then as the boat drops rope gets shorter until i have to release it.Most of the time i simply left the lock and managed to grab the rope as it dropped,though missed once and had an awkward moment leaning over the side to scoop the rope from the water.Any suggestions as to how i should improve my technique?Obviously a longer rope would make it simple as i would not need to lose my grasp of it,trouble is it would then reach the prop if it were to fall into the water.

Ian.

Having only been boating for a year and only properly getting to grips with locks of various types this year due to being stuck between Foxton and Watford for much of last year,ive a question about how long my centre rope should be? I thought the rule of thumb is that it shouldnt reach the prop if dropped into the water,this however makes it awkward when going through broad locks when i want to run the rope around a bollard to steady the boat.When descending locks i run the rope around a bollard and hold the end,then as the boat drops rope gets shorter until i have to release it.Most of the time i simply left the lock and managed to grab the rope as it dropped,though missed once and had an awkward moment leaning over the side to scoop the rope from the water.Any suggestions as to how i should improve my technique?Obviously a longer rope would make it simple as i would not need to lose my grasp of it,trouble is it would then reach the prop if it were to fall into the water.

Ian.

That is how I decided on the length of my rope so if it does slip in the water I don't have to worry about it and can retrieve it at leisure.

I have seen boats try to leave locks and get the centre rope round the prop

Descending a broad lock, I tuck the bow into the corner between the gate and the lock side. Then take the stern line, put three-quarters of a turn around a bollard and drop the coil of rope on the floor.

As the boat descends, it pulls the rope around the bollard, the friction in doing this holds the stern in.

This works for me

Richard

That is how I decided on the length of my rope so if it does slip in the water I don't have to worry about it and can retrieve it at leisure.

So i persevere with the rope i have,seems sensible,thanks for that.

Ian.

Ian.

We have two centre lines both of which are more than long enough to wrap around the prop if fully deployed. However we also boat on deep wide waterways were a very long centre line can be useful.

We therefore 'lose' some of the length by winding the line around the handrail and the centre T stud and unwind the line when we expect to need it.....see pic.

IMG_0918.jpg

I'm not sure if it's considered good 'boatmanship' - but it works for us.

We have two centre lines both of which are more than long enough to wrap around the prop if fully deployed. However we also boat on deep wide waterways were a very long centre line can be useful.

We therefore 'lose' some of the length by winding the line around the handrail and the centre T stud and unwind the line when we expect to need it.....see pic.

IMG_0918.jpg

I'm not sure if it's considered good 'boatmanship' - but it works for us.

Best of both worlds

i'm saying rule no. 1 of boating is never have any rope attached to your boat that can reach the propeller. That's my rule and i'm sticking to it.

You must have a mighty short stern line

Richard

i'm saying rule no. 1 of boating is never have any rope attached to your boat that can reach the propeller. That's my rule and i'm sticking to it.

Fairy nuff....

where do I put my stern line then??

ed. cross post with Richard.

Edited by The Dog House

A very sensible idea, although it can get a bit more complicated, when we owned Ripple I always took the stern rope off the dolly and laid it on the bench in the semi-trad stern ready for when needed.

Overall, Ianali, I'd suggest a centre rope as long as you need it, and at least as long as the boat, but stow it so it is to hand but not in particular danger of ending up in the water.

I only put my stern rope on the bollard when it about to be used and take it off straight afterwards. The rest of the time its coiled up.

So do I - but that is not what OB said -

It's not permanently attatched is it !

Where did you say permanently?

Richard

So i persevere with the rope i have,seems sensible,thanks for that.

Ian.

Well i dunno, it depends what you're comfortable with. My centre line is over 12 metres on a 45' boat which is well long enough to go round the prop but i prefer it that length for singlehanding.

It hasn't come anywhere near the moving prop yet, probably because i always keep in mind that it could. I've gotten into the habit of always coiling it up as i walk to the stern and placing it on the slider before i get on even if i'm going to pick it up again a minute later eg as i exit the lock

I prefer 10 metre centre lines.

I avoid them fouling the prop by not dropping them in the water.

:)

Mike