Need a marina near Shardlow

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

The Rubble Queen has been on a friends mooring in Shardlow while they decided to buy or not another nb. They have and so RQ is soon to be homeless.

There are couple of marinas close by but wondered if anyone has first hand knowledge of any of them.

We would ideally like a safe, quiet smallish marina close to Shardlow. I know there will need to be compromises.

Any info much appreciated, thanks.

Tony

The Rubble Queen has been on a friends mooring in Shardlow while they decided to buy or not another nb. They have and so RQ is soon to be homeless.

There are couple of marinas close by but wondered if anyone has first hand knowledge of any of them.

We would ideally like a safe, quiet smallish marina close to Shardlow. I know there will need to be compromises.

Tony

Have you spoken to Farmer Crocker (i thought you were in there already?).He prefers to have moorers he aready knows.

There are usually spaces and I know of at least one that will be vacant for 18 months as the owners set off on a 2 year cruise in March.

Dave tends to accommodate only 70 footers

??

strange, I was the only 70ft'er on my row of 12 and there are lots more smaller boats throughout.

I think that going in new and being put on the waiting list is the hens teeth scenario.

Being on site when a space arises is an asset, especially if it is a sub-let from a long term absentee, or someone having a boat built.

Edited by matty40s

Shardlow main marina won't be for you if you like small and quiet. It's large and fairly busy, especially in the summer months when the campers and caravaners arrive. Many a time I queueed to get in after work, behind caravans without gate passes who blocked the way....just to find I couldn't park. We have since left....about 5 years ago!

Hi Guys

thanks for replies and yes I am in Dave Crockers at the moment but unfortunately he doesn't have any further vacancies at the moment.

Anyone know about Mercia Marina?

Mercia is ooge and I dont like it but many do. If you are looking for somewhere small and quaint like Mercia :wacko: Id go to Sawley marina, the moorings are cheaper and lecktrics muck cheap. You do have to suffer locking and unlocking 64 million gates every time you go in or out to ensure you lock the thieves in !! but its a friendly place and there are several twits from the forum here.

Tim

We are at mercia love it, superb facilities, good management, you do get a bit of road noise but to be honest dont hear it inside the boat, and outside its if you listen, good cafe good shop friendly boat owners lovely grounds what more do you want, and no I have nothing finacial to gain.

Kev

we're at Mercia too. It is a big marina but it honestly doesn't feel like it because of the landscaping and shaping. Brilliant facilities. We've been there for three years and love it.

Come over and visit - you'd be very welcome. And we have our Open Days this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) with lots going on.

Jo

I think Mercia is lovely - - - - --

Yes, it's (only slightly) dearer than Sawley, and it's big, - but the Mercia management are excellent, there's lots of involvement with the moorers, oodles of lovely wildlife, excellent landscaping, a big Midland Swindlers on site (and you get a moorers discount!) and three facilities blocks!

Overall a super place.

However - have to disagree with Mr Smelly......

We're at Sawley at the moment - and I could honestly never recommend it. - The management really don't give a flying fox, it's riddled with weed, moorers spilling diesel in the moorings, there's been 5 vehicle thefts recently - - (etc. etc. etc.)

I think Mercia is lovely - - - - --

- have to disagree with Mr Smelly......

We're at Sawley there's been 5 vehicle thefts recently - - (etc. etc. etc.)

Like I said Dave, loadsa gates to lock the thieves in !! :D

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

Tony

A couple of smallish marinas:

Stenson - don't know if they have any vacancies.

We travel from Derby / Notts border to Kings Bromley and it's worth the journey. I think they have vacancies.

Paul

I always thought the moorings at Crockers were like Hens Teeth. You live and learn.

I called them up last year and had a very abrupt conversation with the owner and a flat no to moorings. Not even we will hold you on file and call you if a vacancy occurs, just flat No Goodbye!

Mercia is great but the prices will be rising from September 1st which will put some people off however the marina is fantastic and the people there watch out for one another. I cannot praise them highly enough. The highest priority for me when chosing a marina is knowing that both the boat and car will be safe and secure.

Of course , there is also Barton Turns , which puts you in pretty Narrowbeam Country away from the deeper T&M locks.

Prices there IIRC are rather high tho!

I remember sending them a mail yrs ago (Before Mercia was dug) asking about short term moorings , I explained that we moored on the Soar & were looking for a Weeks mooring as we wished to cruise the Ashby canal & needed somewhere to keep the boat on route whilst 'weekending'

They replied that they had space but did we realise they were on the T&M !!! :banghead:

Edited by benfordboy