Disc Type G4 halogen bulb replacement)

pedroinlondon

Featured Posts

I'm getting ready to start installing electrics on my sailaway, and I came across these led bulbs. I had seen them on the counter of a London chandlers a few months ago with a note next to them that went something like "ask to see them working, oh they're so flat and so bright, you won't want anything else if you see these babies on fire!". OK, I may be exaggerating, perhaps the note only said something like: "ask to see them connected. They're quite bright!"

Anyway... As I don't have much room to install the recessed lights, as I would like to avoid cutting the foam down to the steel, so these bulbs seem to be quite good. My questions are: does anyone know anything to contradict my enthusiasm AND does anyone know of nice looking fitting to go with these bulbs? I asked at my local Ryness for examples of fittings for them and they only had under counter lighting fittings (not nice!).

I'm getting ready to start installing electrics on my sailaway, and I came across these led bulbs. I had seen them on the counter of a London chandlers a few months ago with a note next to them that went something like "ask to see them working, oh they're so flat and so bright, you won't want anything else if you see these babies on fire!". OK, I may be exaggerating, perhaps the note only said something like: "ask to see them connected. They're quite bright!"

Anyway... As I don't have much room to install the recessed lights, as I would like to avoid cutting the foam down to the steel, so these bulbs seem to be quite good. My questions are: does anyone know anything to contradict my enthusiasm AND does anyone know of nice looking fitting to go with these bulbs? I asked at my local Ryness for examples of fittings for them and they only had under counter lighting fittings (not nice!).

Have never used that make, but in principle this type of LED bulb is OK. However the photos look as though they are made rather amateurishly - poor quality soldering and pcb, with components sticking out a long way from the back of the PCB. The spec does not mention supply voltage range.

They are cheap for a reason! Maybe they would be OK but since the quality of light from LEDs is so variable, I would buy a couple to try out before buying a boat's worth.

I have kitted on virtually all the ceiling 10W halogens with this type - I can't be sure that they are the same as this type or if even all mine are the same type, as I bought them over time, but I have not yet had any failures and they fitted the standard recessed ceiling fittings (just), and they are plenty bright enough...

The saving in electricity is superb, which is why I did it, and these ones do look a bit brighter than any of mine, although it seems about 150 lumens is equivalent to a 10 watt..

So a great idea

Nick

Pedro,

I have fitted G&F out with this type of unit, bought from various sources, and they are excellent.

It's a difficult thing to do - - but shop around. The ones you highlighted do seem competitive, the trouble is we can never be sure of quality until it's too late, of course.

And just to prove the point, the very brightest we have bought - were also the cheapest (!!!!)

(they are great in shallow G4 fittings though!)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Pedro'

I've just equipped my caravan with a load of those types of bulbs from www.ultraleds.co.uk. Had them in the last van as well and they are very bright and all lasted well. It is important to choose the right "colour". Warm white is similar to the old halogen bulbs, whereas bright white is quite "blue" but was very good in the kitchen area and over the shaving mirror.

I would agree those ebay ones look "amateur"; you pay for what you get.

There is a company on the canals called Bedazzled that sell similar items.

Pedro,

I have fitted G&F out with this type of unit, bought from various sources, and they are excellent.

It's a difficult thing to do - - but shop around. The ones you highlighted do seem competitive, the trouble is we can never be sure of quality until it's too late, of course.

And just to prove the point, the very brightest we have bought - were also the cheapest (!!!!)

(they are great in shallow G4 fittings though!)

Yes that is what I liked mostly about them, that they are shallow and would fit confyly in the space I have. Have you seen any nice looking fittings for this king of flat bulb? I've only came across cabinet style fittings which wouldn't look good as ceiling lights.

Pedro'

I've just equipped my caravan with a load of those types of bulbs from www.ultraleds.co.uk. Had them in the last van as well and they are very bright and all lasted well. It is important to choose the right "colour". Warm white is similar to the old halogen bulbs, whereas bright white is quite "blue" but was very good in the kitchen area and over the shaving mirror.

Pedro'

Thanks for the links. I'm mostly interested in find fittings for this type of ver flat leds with side pins so not to have to cut more into the sprayed foam. I:ll check those shops for that

I bought from Bedazzled and his service was excellent - friendly, helpful and replaced broken LEDs immediately. 2 yrs in and no failures, lovely bright lights. He has every type of bulb replacement with LED you can imagine.

No relationship to his business I just thought he was good.

Only point to watch is the diameter, I bought some which I was happy would fit the fittings I have, but I had to butcher the internals to get the diameter/ thickness of the disk in and also don't forget you need to be able to plug the side contacts in as well.

I'm getting ready to start installing electrics on my sailaway, and I came across these led bulbs. I had seen them on the counter of a London chandlers a few months ago with a note next to them that went something like "ask to see them working, oh they're so flat and so bright, you won't want anything else if you see these babies on fire!". OK, I may be exaggerating, perhaps the note only said something like: "ask to see them connected.

You can get them with 24 or 12 SMD LEDs (1.5 and 3 W) the 24s are, in my opinion, too bright for some mood lighting applications and I would suggest getting a mixture (or trying them out). The 12 LED versions fit some smaller fittings the 24s don't.

If you search for "SMD LED G4" on ebay you'll come up with them under £2. (Unfortunately I didn't find this out before being overcharged for some). They will also fit GU5.3 (MR16) fittings.

The only drawback I can see is that if you replace halogen spots and G4 bulbs with them the LEDs are pointing at 90° to the original bulbs but if the inside of the luminaire is white they still give a decent light pattern.

Edited by Chris Pink

I bought from Bedazzled and his service was excellent - friendly, helpful and replaced broken LEDs immediately. 2 yrs in and no failures, lovely bright lights. He has every type of bulb replacement with LED you can imagine.

I got all our boats LED bulbs from Bedazzled. I thought the service was good and the bulbs are still goin strong 4 years later.

Bedazzled link http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/index.html

Another online source that understands boats etc is Baddie the Pirate

http://www.baddiethepirate.co.uk/

You can get them with 24 or 12 SMD LEDs (1.5 and 3 W) the 24s are, in my opinion, too bright for some mood lighting applications and I would suggest getting a mixture (or trying them out). The 12 LED versions fit some smaller fittings the 24s don't.

If you search for "SMD LED G4" on ebay you'll come up with them under £2. (Unfortunately I didn't find this out before being overcharged for some). They will also fit GU10 fittings.

The only drawback I can see is that if you replace halogen spots and G4 bulbs with them the LEDs are pointing at 90° to the original bulbs but if the inside of the luminaire is white they still give a decent light pattern.

They will also fit GU10 fittings??? How? By drilling a hole on the side or by bending the pins backwards? Using gu10 fittings/rings would be a great solution for my case. Please explain.

If you search for "SMD LED G4" on ebay you'll come up with them under £2. (Unfortunately I didn't find this out before being overcharged for some). They will also fit GU10 fittings.

They will also fit GU10 fittings??? How? By drilling a hole on the side or by bending the pins backwards? Using gu10 fittings/rings would be a great solution for my case. Please explain.

I have bought LEDs from ebay in the past and wont do it again, may be cheaper but mine didn't last. I use Ultrled but if I get any more will probably use Baddie the pirate or she may stop talking to me.

Sorry I thought, as I was typing, I'd got it wrong, I meant GU5.3 that the MR16 bulbs fit, the pitch is the same as G4

GU10 is a 240V fitting. Bedazzled sell adaptors if this is really what you've got. If you mean 12V halogens then they'll either be G4 (just a bulb) or GU5.3 (a bulb in a spotlight)

and yes, I know they're really 'lamps' but I don't want to confuse (any more than I probably did)

off to edit my earlier answer

I have bought LEDs from ebay in the past and wont do it again, may be cheaper but mine didn't last. I use Ultrled but if I get any more will probably use Baddie the pirate or she may stop talking to me.

ebay is not a person, it's a very wide collection of sellers, some good, some not so good.

I see. It would be possible to alter the fittings I suppose. Anyway, I've found these http://www.electricaltradersdirect.com/brass-20w-recessed-cabinet-light-prod-228.html

The are meant as cabinet fittings but, at least in the pic, look suitable to use as ceiling lights. Now I just need to get the leisure batteries, cable and switches... And speaking of which, and as you are electrically orientated boaters, what do you think of numax 96ah batteries. A go outdoor shop is selling them near me and Iwould be quite happy to get them in person instead of ordering and waiting for delivery.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/95a-motor-mover-battery-p150008

Thans for all you help.

Agree. Richard is very helpful and knows his stuff as he is a liveaboard. Also runs a great pick your own patch in his field. Just north of Weedon on the GU or south of Whilton Marina.

Web site :- http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/

Hope this helps.

I have fitted LED based G4's throughout my new boat and am very pleased with the result. It's well worth having a chat with the guy at "bedazzeled" first to make sure you get the correct type.

• 2 months later...

I have just bought some to try out from another liveaboard boater who now trades in them.

She is "Baddie the Pirate", and is very helpful, though I have not looked to see how she compares to Bedazzled price-wise.

She was offering 12 and 16 LED based modules, and general feeling now we have tried one of each of them, (in some very antiquated existing fittings), is that the 16 LED ones are brighter than we really need, and the 12 LED ones provide as much light as the halogen bulbs they are replacing.

However there is massively more electronics on the ones I have just bought than those you have posted, and I'd be suspicious that cheap ones like that might not have anything like the same degree of claimed inbuilt protection.

Incidentally for me the add says they are unavailable, and no price appears to be listed.

I have just replaced all our old G4 10W halogen bulbs with these LED g4 bulbs, pure white version.Note that these are 9-30V regulated (1.5W), so unlike the cheapest 12V only ones, won't fail due to variations in voltage or charging spikes.

I think many of us have already done this over here in the UK, but to think that spikes won't kill them "because they can cope with a voltage range of 9-30 volts" suggests that you aren't aware of the magnitude of the voltage of spikes....

That said I have bought around 30 of these over the course of a year or two, all from E-Bay and not had a single failure yet. There are two main sizes of LED chip, the commonest being 5050 ( which I think is 5.0mm x 5.0mm) and smaller / less bright 3528.

You won't get more than 12 or maybe 15 of these on a PCB that will fit most downlighter fittings, so the 24 chip devices have to use the smaller LED to get them all in.

The limit of brightness is derived from the max operating temp of the LED chips which is around 50 - 60 deg C and the technology used in the particular LED - Yes, they can be driven brighter (and hotter) but at the cost of life.... so maybe a false economy, especially in a well thermally-insulated fitting.

These LEDs are now around as bright as you need to replace a 10W G4 capsule, and the COB leds are the next step with powers starting at 3W and going through 5W, 6W, 10W etc and are seriously bright. (there are even 100W devices available) but they need a heatsink and usually "inconvenient"

supply voltages / constant current drivers as they have no on-board electronics

I have recently got some of the new 5630 items which are rated at 3W and they are noticeably brighter than anything I have bought previously of this type... It will be interesting to see how long they last and I am not very confident they will last too long. Whilst they claim to need a supply of 12V DC, the board is marked up at 11-18 V a.c., which is quite a range and suggests that they have an on-board regulator, as 9 chips are likely arranged in 3 strings of 3 LEDs, which each exhibit a drop of around 3.2V at design current, or 9.6V per string - this gives enough headroom to run them from 12 volts.

I may run one at 14.8 volts DC until it dies to see what life they do have in practice, although that would only be for curiosity as I run the cabin lights off a regulated 12 volt supply....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-G4-3W-9-LED-SMD-5630-Car-Warm-White-Light-Bulb-Lamp-DC-12V-/200794491800?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2ec048cb98

Certainly they are developing rapidly and are very viable to replace the G4 halogen capsules though...

Nick

I've used Bedazzled G4H-10L and 6L. I've also wired some in series as the old G4 halogen lighting was often 2 12v running at 24v. Despite some theoretical concerns from Bedazzled about doing this - and they had not tried it themselves, the LEDs seem to be fine and have been going for a couple of years.

I've used Bedazzled G4H-10L and 6L. I've also wired some in series as the old G4 halogen lighting was often 2 12v running at 24v. Despite some theoretical concerns from Bedazzled about doing this - and they had not tried it themselves, the LEDs seem to be fine and have been going for a couple of years.

I tried that Colin as we are 24 volt. The first ones with just 7 LEDs in each worked well, this was several years ago before the 8-30 volt ones were available. Tried it with some new bigger ones and it was a failure, I think it may have been the electronics in them as opposed to straight resistive current limitation.