Bridgewater Canal first impressions

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention I've spent the day cruising from Anderton to Sale. 25 miles and only 1 lock which is always good single handed.

Wall to wall sunshine and blue sky as I passed through some wonderful countryside. An absolutely lovely canal to cruise. I'm doing the Cheshire Ring but I think I'll have a bit more work tomorrow as Manchester seems to be lock central.

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention I've spent the day cruising from Anderton to Sale. 25 miles and only 1 lock which is always good single handed.

Wall to wall sunshine and blue sky as I passed through some wonderful countryside. An absolutely lovely canal to cruise. I'm doing the Cheshire Ring but I think I'll have a bit more work tomorrow as Manchester seems to be lock central.

You're certainly getting around the system.

Last I heard you were on the Thames.

Trust you are enjoying your self. sounds like it.

Martyn

You're certainly getting around the system.

Last I heard you were on the Thames.

Trust you are enjoying your self. sounds like it.

Martyn

Love cruising from anderton to Lymm on the bridge water

Edited by Argey_bargey

There are no problems with mooring at Sale. There is the King's Ransom on the offside on the north side of Sale bridge or there is the straight stretch of towpath opposite the cruising club which is fine for over night stops.

A bit closer to Manchester there is the Watch House Cruising Club at Stretford. I often moor on the towpath side for a night or so. The club and bar is open Wed Fri Sat evenings, and Sunday afternoon, and the Stretford Arndale Centre is a short walk for most kinds of shopping.

Edited by Richard10002

There are no problems with mooring at Sale. There is the King's Ransom on the offside on the north side of Sale bridge or there is the straight stretch of towpath opposite the cruising club which is fine for over night stops.

Seen a few boats moored at kings randsom but never on the straight strecht by crusing club

Seen a few boats moored at kings randsom but never on the straight strecht by crusing club

There have been a few, some have stopped for a week or so before moving on their way.

If you need to access the shopping center you're probably best mooring by the church. There is an entrance gate off the towpath, through the church grounds. Cross over the road, and you have Wilkinsons. If you walk through Wilkinsons you're in the middle of the shopping square. Quite handy for getting heavy or bulky items back to the boat.

There is a Weatherspoons up on the main road, a very short walk in the opposite direction to the shops and also a handy Metrolink line that can take you into Manchester in around 20 minutes.

We've moored overnight on that stretch a few times - never had any problems.

We're about in Sale did u moor overnight? Wouldn't think it would be safe to moor around that way overnight.

On closer inspection of the map I was in fact through Sale and moored just south of the Watch House cruising club mentioned by Richard. Quiet spot with mooring rings opposite a stretch of residential moorings.

On closer inspection of the map I was in fact through Sale and moored just south of the Watch House cruising club mentioned by Richard. Quiet spot with mooring rings opposite a stretch of residential moorings.

There are mooring rings opposite the Watch House Cruising Club moorings, which I'm guessing is where you stopped on the embankment. The moorings opposite aren't residential, they are the cruising club moorings.

I have also stayed there overnight several times, with no problems at all.

Those are the Watch House Clib moorings - not residential. My current mooring is right opposite the club house, with only a narrow pathway, rather than a bit of a garden, hence my regular trips to the towpath side :)

Those are the Watch House Clib moorings - not residential. My current mooring is right opposite the club house, with only a narrow pathway, rather than a bit of a garden, hence my regular trips to the towpath side :)

That's the spot. I was just between the club house and the aqueduct.

We've moored overnight on that stretch a few times - never had any problems.

Snap. We have moored in just about every no go area of just about every canal over the last twenty odd years and never had any sort of problem.

Tim

We have also moored by The Kings Ransom in Sale many times. Very handy for the shops. Moorings rings here too. Never any issues. Handy for the trams into Manchester. Love the Bridgewater for its deep water and the bloke who keeps it clean on his Water Womble boat.

Yes saw the water womble moored up on the runcorn arm last week,

I have moored for a few hours at the kings randsom a couple of times. Also seen a few boats moored oppersite on the towpath side. Wouldnt think it would be safe thou.

You just cant bet Lymm although i do get a cob on at the amount of private boats that moor on the 48 hr mooring for weeks on end. That light blue & yellow boat wih odd crusier stern seems to always be moored there. So we have to moor opersite the crusing club on pins :-(