smelly bedroom

notebook

Featured Posts

Hi, we hav a pump out toilet with plastic holding tank under the bed, which emits a smell within days of being emptied which gets worse as the week goes on. We hav checked the tank/area and pipework/joints with no sign of a leak. There is a slight smell in bathroom cupboard that pipes go thro. Any help would b appreciated

Hi, we hav a pump out toilet with plastic holding tank under the bed, which emits a smell within days of being emptied which gets worse as the week goes on. We hav checked the tank/area and pipework/joints with no sign of a leak. There is a slight smell in bathroom cupboard that pipes go thro. Any help would b appreciated

What capacity is your tank....

250ltrs l think

Pretty small then - the same size as the one we had ripped out.

You are probably just overfilling it as I recall was suggested we were doing when ours did the same, I wasn't happy though that an overfilled tank would simply leak it's contents.

When the smell starts take off the bed top and observe what is happening while you actually flush the loo, you are likely to see it leaking from somewhere - even a tiny amount will stink a lot ours did.

Guest wanted

Sssshhh, you'll wake up Mr Smelly!

Have you got an inspection hatch on the tank? Check the seals around it. Is it a dump through or macerator?

Sssshhh, you'll wake up Mr Smelly!

Have you got an inspection hatch on the tank? Check the seals around it. Is it a dump through or macerator?

It has pipework so not a dump thru'

Plus the holding tank is under the bed so ....

Edited by MJG

Wrap the pipe work in kitchen foil and duck tape. Buy the really cheap bio washing liquid at tescos and put an eggcup full in with your blue. Within a week, the smell, if it's the pipe work will go. Check the seals, possibly mastic on the inlet plate. The main thing, is make sure your air vent from the tank is big enough.

I had problems with my proper flexi hose from Lee San. It always gave off a sort of 'cabbage' smell from day one. I ripped it out eventually and replaced it with solvent weld.

One thing I found to watch out for ...is the point where the hose attaches to the brass deck pumpout fitting.The hose comes up into a plastic 'tail' that then screws into the fitting. It takes a huge amount of strain here...as when you insert the pump out valve...it pushes sideways and tends to undo the screw fitment. Even doing it up really tight...if you push down on the pumpout valve to get a seal..it can undo.

I fitted my system myself...and tapped the brass fitment into the deck really well...but it can still move if I push to get a seal.

Its worth checking there.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Guest wanted

It has pipework so not a dump thru'

Plus the holding tank is under the bed so ....

My dump through tank is under the bed and has pipe work that leads to the outside world so....

:unsure::tired:

:lol:

My dump through tank is under the bed and has pipe work that leads to the outside world so....

Good choice.....

but you knew really that was not my point.... :rolleyes:

Guest wanted

Good choice.....

but you knew really that was not my point.... :rolleyes:

What you on about?

I asked the question because I wanted to know what set up the OP has, I was going to suggest that if it was a macerator bog then it may well be the hosing, it seems to be a fairly common problem. I had to change the rubber hose that leads from my tank to the pump outlet (about two foot) on ours as it was leaching. Changed it for some hardcore tube like the pumps use and jobs a good un.

Got ya

No - always said it, if you can be bothered search it...

cassettes are good, but if having a boat built from new I'd have a simple dump through...

Guest wanted

No - always said it, if you can be bothered search it...

cassettes are good, but if having a boat built from new I'd have a simple dump through...

Slightly controversially I am 50/50 on the whole thing, I like the rest of my boat so much more than my toilet that I have no real preference.

Sorry OP for going off topic

Slightly controversially I am 50/50 on the whole thing, I like the rest of my boat so much more than my toilet that I have no real preference.

Sorry OP for going off topic

interesting...there are more than two choices of how to dump on a boat...

Thanks very much will get hubby to investigate your ideas. Yes can distinguish the loo bloo not keen especially as l think he bought industrial strengh. Boat is new only built end of last year, thanks again

Suffering the same problem at the moment. It'll be the sanitation hose from the loo to the tank. In the middle of changing it out with ABS pipe. Got mine from here You want the class E pipe. Is your boat an Aqualine by any chance?