Am I doing the right thing??

shaggs

Featured Posts

Get a survey - -

You really should discover what the problems are BEFORE you buy her . .

Yes

Besides - the survey will more than pay for itself , for you will have a surveyors report that will enable you to more than bargain the cost of the survey....

Not necessarily the case at all.

Absolutely. Happy is the buyer whose surveyor tells him or her, "I can't really find anything wrong with this boat."

As long as they understand the limitations of what is covered by the survey and what the surveyor will and will not dismantle and/or check to make their assessment.

There are a number of major and expensive systems on a modern NB the operation of which is not covered by a survey.

I guess a thwack with a hammer and listen to the ring - if any whilst in the water - is not a good test then!

Jesting aside, how much would you expect to pay for a hull survey including getting it on dry land?

I forgot to ask the age of the boat, but will do when I return. I guessed it to be around 12 - 15 years old...... unless you know different from hiring?

Good grief I sound so green now, I must be a sellers dream! Thanks for all the pointers you have given me

As long as they understand the limitations of what is covered by the survey and what the surveyor will and will not dismantle and/or check to make their assessment.

There are a number of major and expensive systems on a modern NB the operation of which is not covered by a survey.

Second this, not because Iona has any expensive systems but for a far more basic reason. We had a faultless survey, but within two weeks of buying the boat we discovered the stainless steel water tank was leaking badly, which meant we had to cut it out and replace it with a new flexible plastic tank. I have no gripe against the surveyor because the leak was only detectable after we'd filled the tank a few times over the space of a couple of weeks then found the back cabin full of water up to the level of the bed!

The most important thing the surveyor can tell you is the thickness of the hull and extent of any pitting. That's the stuff that keeps the boat floating.

I guess a thwack with a hammer and listen to the ring - if any whilst in the water - is not a good test then!

Jesting aside, how much would you expect to pay for a hull survey including getting it on dry land?

I forgot to ask the age of the boat, but will do when I return. I guessed it to be around 12 - 15 years old...... unless you know different from hiring?

Good grief I sound so green now, I must be a sellers dream! Thanks for all the pointers you have given me

Sorry can't advise on costs - usually around £200 to get a boat slipped but often more often less, I've only ever paid for a full survey so can't advise on the cost a hull only survey...

Snaygill boats seem to be involved in brokering the sale and they can lift boats out I'm sure...why not cut a deal on the cost of slipping Rosemary deducting the cost from the final price if you decide to proceed..

Sorry can't advise on costs - usually around £200 to get a boat slipped but often more often less, I've only ever paid for a full survey so can't advise on the cost a hull only survey...

Snaygill boats seem to be involved in brokering the sale and they can lift boats out I'm sure...why not cut a deal on the cost of slipping Rosemary deducting the cost from the final price if you decide to proceed..

Yes that might be worth a try! A bit worrying about the water tank though, just shows all the hidden pitfalls!

Yes that might be worth a try! A bit worrying about the water tank though, just shows all the hidden pitfalls!

The potential pitfalls with buying a boat are numerous, don;t expect a full survey to highlight them, just have a contingency fund.....

the enjoyment you can get though through boat ownership is immense..

A survey is worth bugger all. Nothing is covered that a competent person can't work out themselves. But, if the boat is a bit older, you can't get insurance without a survey.... <_<

No, no, I did not say that they are all in it together, and that it is a racket. Perish the thougth.

That is the BSS you are talking about.

B)

Compare it to buying a used car - it might be fully MOT'd and running beautifully when you buy it but then the gearbox seizes up and you need a new one. Not the fault of the seller because it was fine when they sold it, just bad luck. The same can happen with a boat, particularly one that's a certain vintage. There's consumables that are only made to live so many years, you might be lucky and be fine for the first two or three years, stuff might pack up one after the other in your first three months.

Having a contingency fund is good advice.

Not trying to scare you off btw - boat ownership is well worth it - just passing on the lessons we've learned the hard way :)

I was thinking of it, but Troy at snaygill seems a genuine guy who knows his stuff and the history of the boat, and assured me all is well. Its not actually his boat, so assume its an impartial view. It has recently passed a B.S.S too, so all should be ok there..... Or am I too trusting?

You said it.

I don't want to say too much here but as others have warned, get a good surveyor to look at the boat dispassionately. Mike Boulton at Blue Star Surveys is a good guy and will tell it like it is.

You said it.

I don't want to say too much here but as others have warned, get a good surveyor to look at the boat dispassionately. Mike Boulton at Blue Star Surveys is a good guy and will tell it like it is.

Nice one, cheers Neil

May I add a little?

Our first boat had only a Hull Survey as it was quite a basic boat. When we purchased Nightwatch we had a 'full' survey as we were concerned that as it was quite a lot of money we were spending we didn't want anything to go wrong.

However we have regretted this decision for the six years that we have had the boat.

After picking up the boat and bringing down to the Banbury area (ten days) we found

1.Water pump needed new seals

2Toilet needed new seals

3 Electrical system was in a mess. Everything went out when the engine was stopped. This was in October!!!

4 The batteries were on their last legs, so to speak

and more minor items not worth mentioning.

Our surveyor produced a multi-page report (impressive) but on almost every item there was the escape footnote of, difficult access to such and such so can't be fully tested and certified.

We got a verbal 'okay to buy' from him and the written report followed, after we had paid up.

Lesson learnt.

Have a Hull Survey. But seriously consider whether to have a full survey or not. Your choice of course.

Martyn.

edited to add a little more.

Edited by Nightwatch

May I add a little?

Our first boat had only a Hull Survey as it was quite a basic boat. When we purchased Nightwatch we had a 'full' survey as we were concerned that as it was quite a lot of money we were spending we didn't want anything to go wrong.

However we have regretted this decision for the six years that we have had the boat.

After picking up the boat and bringing down to the Banbury area (ten days) we found

1.Water pump needed new seals

2Toilet needed new seals

3 Electrical system was in a mess. Everything went out when the engine was stopped. This was in October!!!

4 The batteries were on their last legs, so to speak

and more minor items not worth mentioning.

Our surveyor produced a multi-page report (impressive) but on almost every item there was the escape footnote of, difficult access to such and such so can't be fully tested and certified.

We got a verbal 'okay to buy' from him and the written report followed, after we had paid up.

Lesson learnt.

Have a Hull Survey. But seriously consider whether to have a full survey or not. Your choice of course.

Martyn.

edited to add a little more.

1) 2) & 4) not necessarily things a surveyor would find in a few hours on a boat, and pretty much general maintenance that could go at any time - if obviously leaking at the time of the survey, then not good.

Not making an effort to look at stuff is pretty much unforgivable, unless genuinely very difficult to get at. However, perhaps the advice might be to get a well recommended surveyor, rather than not have a full survey.

Did he provide voltages of the batteries with, and without, the engine running?

Why can't I reply to this thread?

Oh! I can now. Always worth testing.

Martyn

Right then. I have typed a long reply to the previous poster but the site won't let me post it. No swear words are anything dodgy.

Sorry to go :smiley_offtopic: but can anyone suggest any reason.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Have a survey done. End of.

There is no excuse at Snaygill as they have 2 dry docks to enable this to happen with minimal hassle.

I can recommend Mike Boulton at Blue Star Surveys.

£400 is nothing compared to what might turn out to be costly repairs.

Have a survey done. End of.

There is no excuse at Snaygill as they have 2 dry docks to enable this to happen with minimal hassle.

I can recommend Mike Boulton at Blue Star Surveys.

£400 is nothing compared to what might turn out to be costly repairs.

Thanks for all the info. Troy at snaygill can't get it in for 5 weeks due to a full paint job on a boat, so will have to consider other options.

Thanks for all the info. Troy at snaygill can't get it in for 5 weeks due to a full paint job on a boat, so will have to consider other options.

That paint job must be costing a fortune,it aint cheap for the dry dock.

Is the paint job using both dry docks for 5 weeks? Half a day for a survey - if they can't squeeze that in within a week or so, I'd say something is suspicious... They're all nice guys who know everything when they're selling to you, but many are nowhere to be seen when things go wrong after they've had your money.

Is there a yard down the cut that could lift it for you? How does Troy feel about that?

Hi, he does have a wide dock available, but thats another 100 quid, making the docking £300 in total I think he said. I know there's more water to pump out, but thought it a bit steep to be honest

Hi, he does have a wide dock available, but thats another 100 quid, making the docking £300 in total I think he said. I know there's more water to pump out, but thought it a bit steep to be honest

Unfortunately little about boating is cheap, but a survey is needed, boats aren't selling that fast at the moment I would want to get the broker/vendor to pay for he survey if you buy the boat, let them do the work, I suggest you offer to pay if you subsequently back out.

Won't he do you a deal? He's going to earn the commission on the sale as well as the docking.... Or nothing if you don't dock it and don't buy the boat. You might even give him some more work if you buy it - blacking, servicing the engine, etc..

Haven't they got a slipway, or some other means of getting boats ashore. I don't know the place, but it's hard to see a yard making money if they can only work on 2 boats out of the water at any one time.

You really should have a survey..... And if things are conspiring to delay a survey, I'd say that's even more reason to have a survey.

Have a look at a few more boats while you're being kept waiting - you might find something a better deal.